Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Not quite a barnfind - Dragcraft Catalog

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by HemiRambler, Apr 17, 2010.

1. HemiRambler

HemiRambler

Shop rate 10.00 per hour!!!! I think this was 1967.

Attached Files:

2. more please!!

3. HemiRambler

HemiRambler

No scanner at home, but here's some more - I know the prices aren't legible, but here's a break down:

Chevy 1/2" stroker crank $100 (guaranteed 1 year)

Holley carb $48

Hilborn Injection (Early Hemi) with Pump & Drive $295

Hilborn 4 port with Pump & Drive $295

I wonder if they're still taking orders?

Attached Files:

AHotRod likes this.
  4. 31Atudor

31Atudor

Jason,
    That was Dick Von Luit's shop. AA/GD
    Ron Stevens (BB/GD and later AA/GD) and Dave Schaefer (AA/GD) also worked there. Good bunch of guys.

5. HemiRambler

HemiRambler

31Atudor - What I wouldn't have given to have worked in their shop!!!!!!

6. g-fan1

g-fan1
    from ohio

I was at a flea market and found a fireproof fender cover with dragcraft engineering in the corner and in the center an awsome shot of a slingshot dragster in gold and blue glitter and it says D and R Automotive ..Bedford Ohio...any idea when this would have been from...i will post a pic in a day or so, since im away from my computer,
    gfan1

M_Grucza likes this.
  7. BadTableManor

BadTableManor
    BANNED

Hi all, this is my first post here. I found you while looking for info regarding my dad's drag racing career and the drag shop he used to co-own in Ohio, called "Dragcraft", and found this thread.
    I spent the first 6 years of my life at his shop and going to all his races... so many great (and some very scary) memories. I remember meeting Don Garlits when he visited us after we moved to California, and how Cha-Cha was one of my first female role models. By the way, Garlits was a very intimidating character to a certain 7 year old girl!
    After the shop burned down (1969 or 70, I believe), Dad left Ohio for California.
    I'm so happy to see there is still interest in dragsters. I wish Dad were still here so I could share this with him; it would've made him immensely proud.
    Thank you so very much for posting these pictures, and for the info. You made my week.

Last edited: Jan 20, 2012
  8. pkride

pkride

Hello, my name is Paul Kelm, I lived across the street on Cecilia ave. I went racing with you, your brother, mom & dad, Howie Davis and Bob Thomas. Great memories, brings a tear to my eye, those guys taught me everything they knew about internal combustion engines. I am forever grateful to the Grucza family. I think I am speaking with Monica, your brother was Christopher, mom Shirley.
    Thanks, Paul Kelm

Monica Grucza likes this.
  9. BadTableManor

BadTableManor
    BANNED

Oh my, I can't believe it's been over a year since I last checked this post!
    Hi Paul, so nice to get to chat with you via email. I'm afraid I never did find any pictures of my dad's "digger", as Chris and I used to call it.
    I also have many fond memories of the old Dragcraft days - riding around in the open trunk of our 68 Charger on race day; the combination of exhilaration and sheer terror from the deafening noise when that Christmas tree turned green; Dad's 'entertaining' racing friends, ha!
    I know Dad was crushed when Dragcraft burned down; his life's dream gone up in flames.

Anyway, I hope you and your family are doing well, and I will absolutely let you know if I ever do find any pictures. Take care. :)

10. Hi my name is chic,Thanks for the memories! D&R Automotive 809 Broadway,I remember the owners Hall Schlemmer-BM/SP also Dick Vanluit/Enting CG/S,1955 Chevy, Also the Dragcraft days 835 Broadway the Gruczas they did machine shop work for me. I also remember Denny Hollis C/G. All of these guys were an inspiration to us little racers, by being great examples that we might some day be like them. I still have the recepts from all the Parts I bought! my one friend rented that shop and still has the Dragcraft sign.

11. Hey D&R/Dragcraft fans,I hope there are more out there,I have pictures, 8mm films of the 1962 Indy.Nats. Dragway 42 and Thompson,but they still need to be transfered to DvD - will try to do that as soon as the time permits,then ill post some of D&R cars.thanks to all who still care..........God Bless You! Chic.

12. Dragway42

Dragway42

Cool!!!

13. Hey lets see some more pictures of hands on working on your rides! This one is of me working on the "persuader" dragster in the mid 60s at Thompson Drag Raceway see on(U-Tube Thompson60s-70s) then owned by Bob Gunya of Maple Hts,Ohio. Still racing, my last pass of the year was in November 2014! waiting on Spring!............

AHotRod likes this.
  14. tumblr_nfdht43o9f1qcdxvpo1_1280.jpg
    Here is an early shot of D&R Automotives CG/S about 1962-63, I don't know where this was, but I have photos at the 1962 Nationals at Indy in black with a different plate.

kidcampbell71 and AHotRod like this.
  15. This is the Denny Hollis C/G from D&R Automotive in Bedford,Ohio at the 1962 US Nationals! just love those 110 cameras! A3.jpeg

elgringo71, kidcampbell71 and AHotRod like this.
  16. Spent a few pay checks back in the beginning of my racing fever! fun times though, cheap for a tranny in 1964 then in H/S and it has not stopped yet! put one in my Nova in the fall of 2014 cost a lot more!!

Attached Files:

• H2.jpeg
      H2.jpeg
      File size:
      210.9 KB
      Views:
    Monica Grucza and AHotRod like this.
  17. Dragcraft Engineering also received a few of my earnings also! fun times in my life!!

Attached Files:

• G.jpeg
      G.jpeg
      File size:
      200.5 KB
      Views:
  18. AHotRod

AHotRod

This has turned into a great story, Thanks to all.

19. Does anyone remember this guy? well he drove the Dragcraft AA/G Dragster! talked to him at the Thompson Gasser Reunion, he was still full of spirit and zing! the same as he was 40 years ago!

Attached Files:

20. Black Panther

Black Panther
    from SoCal

$10 per hour shop rate was a good deal...even adjusted for inflation its about $73 an hour today...pretty reasonable....

21. Jimbo17

Jimbo17

Dragcraft Engineering.jpg

M_Grucza and Monica Grucza like this.
  22. elgringo71

elgringo71

This is getting good thanks to everyone for sharing and I am looking forward to seeing that footage from Indy.