Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage The 2015 H.A.M.B. Drags

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Ryan, Aug 24, 2015.

1. I missed the first year but have been there every year since. Got to the hotel Friday and looked at the mess and thought, what the hell is going on. No place to tech cars, damned little parking with all the storage trailers but some how it got done. I got to spend time with my buddies from Iowa again. That alone is worth the trip. Got almost to Ryno's place Saturday and down it came. Waited till I thought it was slacking up and headed for the track. It did not slack up. Drove through about a foot of water at the underpass getting out to the highway. Damn, it was raining HARD. Got to the track, parked, got the umbrella out and went walking. Looked over to the HAMB tent and there was Ryan standing there Looking like, what the shit do I do now. Where they had initially set the tent up there was water about 6 inches deep and he said they would move the tent when the rain stopped. Ever the optimist. He heard from Carl while I was there and Carl was saying that the rain would stop around noon and we could race by about three. Guess what, it happened just that way. Any way, it was a great weekend. Glad I hung around and drove through the rain.
    Later,
    Dick

Malcolm likes this.
  2. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

Your shoes dry out yet?

3. Shoes dried out. Spirits were never dampened. Came down with the mother of all colds. Other than that PERFECT. Ain't it great?
    Later,
    Dick

4. rascal55

rascal55

This was my seventh in a row, Friday night seemed bigger than ever,
    and the drags were a little "iffy" because of weather , but I am still amazed
    at the number of spectators as well as race cars that "poured" in during
    and after the rain !!
    Mo-Kan guys rule !! Thanks for hanging in there Ryan !!

5. Must have been a great event. You guys make me jealous.
    Will we see results, speeds, official times, trophies, winners and runner ups?

6. Junior Stock

Junior Stock

Carl and crew did to good of a job cleaning up the track.
    Had a good time as always. HAMB drags 2015 036.JPG

wingnutz likes this.
  7. autobilly

autobilly

Any leftover T-shirts going to make their way into the store?

8. slammed

slammed

Nitrous finally caught up whit ya Tim Bob.

9. Since all the reviews are positive and a good time was had by all, what's Ryan going to do for an encore? Are there plans for another Revolution?

10. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

We will do another Hot Rod Revolution... In fact, we might do a small reliability run this year as a kind of version of the Revolution. I won't do another Revolution car show until I find a venue that is really, really special...

Brandi and beatnikontinental like this.
  11. trammel

trammel

The RUSHING&BARKER Anglia had a good day thanks to all the hard work everone put into making the event happen. We don't get to see all the hard work that goes in to making these races possible for all of us to enjoy. I have put on races before and know. JOB WELL DONE If there is any way we can help on our part let us know. Later Trammel

12. Russco

Russco
    from Central IL

As usual I had a blast again this year. As we were driving to the track Sat morning, my buddy was convinced they were cancelled but As I pulled in the gate I looked over to the tent and Ryan gave me a wave. I said Hell YES we're still on. My coupe wouldn't run for shit and my feet were wet all day, the carpet is still wet in my coupe and I never ate anything all day at the track and I still had the most awesome time again. Looking forward to next year already. Thanks fellas you put on a great event.

Brandi and Malcolm like this.
  13. Love your coupe!

14. Glad you made it all work out there @Ryan - man, I hate to see the rain come down at a show... Looks like a fantastic time, sorry to miss out

15. I need to get the Fargo on the road so I have something cool to road trip to the HAMB drags one of these years, in the mean time I'll just sit here being jelous!

Spoggie likes this.
  16. model.A.keith

model.A.keith

props to those that made it possible ........never thought it would happen...........!

Image1860.jpg

17. triman62

triman62

Had a great time, Thanks to all who made it happen.

18. Here's a picture out my windshield while rescuing the 40 Ford. 20150822_102815_zpspzz4d66p.jpg

19. It is really nice to see you guys helping each other out. I hope to have the coupe at this event some day. Fantastic cars, and HAMB members, how can you go wrong.

20. Avgas

Avgas

As a first timer to Joplin for the HAMB weekend I was absolutely in awe of the number and quality of the vehicles in attendance. The car parks in and around the Joplin Motel were packed with wall to wall kool. I did not believe that there would be racing on Saturday after the deluge at 0900 hrs! I was enjoying Ryan O's hospitality at the time and was reassured by some locals that it would happen, and it did! Great weekend thanks to all concerned who made it that way!

Lazy A, Drewfus and Spoggie like this.
  21. Muttley

Muttley

Dear Mother Nature,

Apparently you failed to receive the memo that this is August, aka Summer. Please refrain from raining until the proper season from this year forward.

Sincerely, HAMB members.

Russco likes this.
  22. Tom davison

Tom davison
    from Phoenix AZ

Ryan, thanks for being the gracious host who had every reason to be stressed, yet exhibited none of it.

That hotel business...other than the canvas sign hanging many stories up on the building, I had no idea anything was awry. And considering that the big place seemingly had more straights staying there than us, congrats on getting permission to locate the band there!

Last edited: Aug 26, 2015
  23. trammel

trammel

I need some help locating a man who had a silver Tempest at the drags. He loaned me a heat sock to keep me from burning my arm. All I know about his is he is retired. I need to get it back to him or buy him a new one. It kept me from burning my arm while changing the sparkplugs. He left before we finished running. Also he is from Oklahoma. Any help will be appreciated.

24. Looks like someone was hooking up!

25. Lancer

Lancer

@Ryan when will you have an idea for next years date? I'd really like to make the trek out from California and cover the event. Maybe even make a pass or two.

26. haychrishay

haychrishay

Next year I'm bringing my swim trunks,thanks again for the help Dean!

27. It's always been the same weekend as the Springfield MO. swapmeet. The third weekend of August. But it's a year away and things could change.

28. Muttley

Muttley

Are we ever going to see any leftover shirts for sale in the HAMB store?

29. WZ JUNK

WZ JUNK
    from Neosho, MO

Prior to the drags there was a post about the possibility of rain during the event. I replied that we often get SHOWERS during the month of August but it does not usually rain all day. I guess I was right.

John

30. Nostrebor

Nostrebor

One absolute certainty in my 30 years of the Springfield Swap Meet history is spells of rain. Usually right after we got our swap space set out just the way we liked it and walked half way across the fairgrounds. First rule of southern Missouri is if you don't like the weather, wait 10 minutes and it will change.

I was confident enough in MoKan's ability to deal with it that we left Springfield in the rain and drove in the rain almost all the way to the strip. They got the job done!