Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs 1940 dodge flat six into 42 plymouth

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by chewie1, Aug 9, 2015.

1. RodStRace

RodStRace

I agree that the smart thing to do is get an engine/trans either in the bed or setting underhood BEFORE shipping to save import duties and shipping costs. Try placing Wanted ads here and in either LA Cali or MI and have all the parts gathered up before shipment.
    Check on seals, mechanical parts and anything else that would be fairly easy/cheap to find here in the US VS. the UK.
    The last one I sold was a decent core (rod knock but ran) for $100. You should be able to pick out one for less than a grand in very good shape.

2. chewie1

chewie1

The shipping company are more than willing to load an engine onto the truck at the docks the will even hold it back until i can get it delivered
    the truck is coming from new mexico so will be in leaving the US from Long Beach

3. 73RR

73RR

All depending on your time frame, you might want to hook up with the crew over at www.p15-d24.com and see if someone in the California-Arizona corner can supply an engine/trans and get it to the dock.

4. plym_46

plym_46
    from central NY

there is a post on the Pilothouse truck portion of the P15 D24 site for a free engine and transmission. It is the long block motor 25 inch with the semi auto transmission. Fellow is in Colorado, but free makes shipping a bit easier to take. Transmission is Chrylser Corporation's 4 speed Semi Automatic transmission with a fluid coupler and a clutch. Yea weird but interesting. The trans has two ranges with 2 gear ratio per range. Typically high range is used for normal driving, and low range is useful for pulling your house off its foundations.
    Link to post. If interested I can act as intermediary for exchange of contact information.

The longer engine might make some fabrication necessary to move the radiator forward and some front crossmember surgery might also be inthe works. Not sure with Trucks but US Plymouth cars need some work to accept the longer engine. standard is 23 1/2, location dictated by rear engine mounts. This is not a truck engine so you would need to fabricate the rear cross member to mat it to the frame.

http://p15-d24.com/topic/39426-dodge-motor-and-transmission/

Last edited: Aug 19, 2015
  5. chewie1

chewie1

seems i have found an motor and 4 speed trans for the truck now(fingers crossed)
    would be nice to find a 3 speed though

6. 73RR

73RR

Keep in mind that the transmissions will have different trans bolt patterns.

7. chewie1

chewie1

Yes it comes with the correct bell house for the 4 speed the complete set up came out of a 49 dodge pick up