Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods New member starting a 33 Ford Project

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 33highboy, Aug 18, 2015.

1. If you lived closer I'd trade you my running driving cabrio straight up....long as I got the engine with it. I love it.

2. redo32

redo32

I like this new attitude around here. Not one "It's your car, build it your way" ! I'm in favor of preserving history whenever possible.

Muttley, Kiwi 4d and brad2v like this.
  3. cheepsk8

cheepsk8
    from west ky

Fenders belong in guitar cases. I'm with you, store 'em and let the next guy put them back on he is so inclined. Love the car .... nice score ^^^^^^^^ By the way, its your car and your cash , build it your way.

2racer likes this.
  4. That's a fun little catchphrase.

Sadly, it has nothing to do with anything being period correct etc. It's just a catchphrase.

3wLarry likes this.
  5. Fordgasser1

Fordgasser1
    from Jersey

Get it running..go through the mechanical systems..clean it off(or not) and drive it..If it was built is 62, I'd preserve what I could and enjoy it as it is..

6. Lone Star Mopar

Lone Star Mopar

Oh shit oh shit oh shit !!!!!!

7. Lone Star Mopar

Lone Star Mopar

Respectfully disagree, it's an amazing piece of hot rod history that doesn't need to be changed. In the right hands the car can still be enjoyed as rolling testament to how it was done in a time were all so enamored with here. How many people can say they have something like that...

brad2v and Dave50 like this.
  8. cheepsk8

cheepsk8
    from west ky

I also respect your opinion as well, but I am pretty sure hot rodders have been jerking the fenders off these coupes since the 30s. the OP wants a highboy, so what's wrong with taking them off? I yanked mine off and had no second thoughts. The holes are still in the frame and I have as nice a set of original fenders and boards as anyone on this site. They are not in a guitar case, they are in attic storage and ready to be put back on at a moment's notice. Making it a highboy, to me does not change the incredible historical value of this car, it merely allows the OP to make it his. I love the interior, and the chop is dead on. I am of the opinion that yes, it needs to be preserved, but it also should be a reflection of the owners taste. I could be wrong.

9. BradinNC

BradinNC

Be careful with the mouse/rodent nest crap! It can make you sick.Wear a cheap mask at least. Vacuum it out well. I've found those little critters skeletons/shit everywhere in an old car.

10. Pete

Pete

Your all going to hell.....lol

great score my man.....I'm pretty sure many many folks dream of finding a car like this.... or have tried to recreate the time capsule you just purchased.... It really is a once in a lifetime score....it's extremely difficult to find the right parts than make them all jive.... You found that, it would be kinda sad to see the car drastically changed.... BUT..... It's your car, do as you please.

11. MAD 034

MAD 034
    from Washington

The interior is killer.

12. Lone Star Mopar

Lone Star Mopar

I was referring more to the "it's your car build it your way" comments. I'd just hate to see its history get lost with to many revisions to make it personalized is all. Anyways its a great example with or without fenders and I look forward to seeing it doing what it was built to do again !

13. Hot Rods Ta Hell

Hot Rods Ta Hell

IMG_9510.JPG IMG_9491.JPG Do you have any history on the car? What area did it hail from? Hambers may be able to help you track down some history if you don't have any for the car. So it hasn't seen the road since pre '66.
    I'm wondering if there are some old photos of it running at the drags somewhere?

In pre gray primer, it looks like we'd be looking for a maroon with maroon/white interior and roof insert. What other colors did the car wear? Is that turquoise on the sill plate? Trying to figure out what the holes in the lower corners of the otherwise filled decklid were for...

14. Kiwi 4d

Kiwi 4d
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Anyone can ditch the fenders, but when they are this nice it take a an to keep them on. Yada Yada Yada it's your car etc , but in my opinion it looks way more trad with the fenders on, yes we have a 32 highboy but were we to get a barn find with fenders attached , you know the answer.

15. 34side1_15-0small.jpg Love the 49 door handles and window cranks. I'm looking for a set for mine.

16. 4BangerDean

4BangerDean

I love the car. Looks like a great start to make it the hotrod you want.

17. SkyDriver

SkyDriver

I realize I'm going to raise the ire of some folks on this forum, but the fact is that I grew up in Los Angeles in the fifties and saw a lot of "traditional" hot rods, including several on my own street. I NEVER saw a fenderless '33/'34 Ford hot rod that wasn't a race car. T's, A's, '32s, yes, but no hiboy Model 40s. My 3-window was a fenderless racer in the fifties, but by the mid-'60s the fenders were back on for the street. It is your car, but to be true to "tradition", leave the fenders on. Just MHO.

BTW, I've been running a series of go-fast SBC's (the current one has a 4-71 blower on it) in my car for the past 42 years and the origin frame has held up fine.

18. You should not raise ire. I think a lot of us already understand what you're saying, but you know how history gets "revised."

I think a lot of people confuse lakes racers with street hot rods, especially around the late 50's early 60's. These days the lakes-car-for-the-street such as some of the highboys shown is a popular look, which is different from 'period correct' for a street car back then. The car in this thread is already period correct, albeit in severe need of a clean up and paint job.

And BTW, I like the lakes-car-for-the-street look as much as the next guy. It when the words 'period correct' and the like get thrown in that cause wrinkles in the picture.

19. Airborne34

Airborne34
    from Texas

That is an incredible survivor, leave as is and get er running. I would also begin a serious search into the history of this car.

20. Martin Harris

Martin Harris

The black beast with the extreme chop sends chills down my spine. If Darth Vader drove a hot rod it would look like that!

21. Martin Harris

Martin Harris

Regarding the '33 in question, it seems to have aroused quite a controversy. Yes, the car is obviously a piece of history and many would preserve it or restore it. On the other hand, we rodders are in danger of becoming restorers. I have no issue whatsoever with reworking my own creations, and a lot of rodders, for better or worse, often alter or rebuild their machines according to trends or personal whim. Sometimes our tastes change or we get bored with look/performance of our cars.
    So, I reckon take plenty of pics of the car "as is" for history/posterity, then build it how you want to.
    Make the car your own.:)

22. Great find. and welcome aboard.

23. F-head

F-head

damn thats cool
    hope you just clean it up ,make it go,and leave it as is
    what a great survivor. thats one of the coolest interior's I've ever seen

24. Binger

Binger
    from wyoming

I am on the side of leaving it as is. It is true some hot rodders are becoming restorers. The thing is the HAMB is based on traditional hot rodding and therefore based on history and preserving it. This car is traditional not some recreation of it. I always get more excited over a survivor rather than a fresh build. But that is the restorer in me talking. I guess the OP will have to decide if the car is in good enough shape to clean up and use it or if it has deteriorated enough to need rebuilt. Bottom line is its your car and do what you want with it. Biggest thing is HAVE FUN!!

Dave50 and Martin Harris like this.
  25. 33highboy

33highboy
    from Florida

WOW This is an intense group!!! My stomach has been in knots for days. Everyone's input is fantastic. I do have the exact history on the car and parts list at least back to around 1950. Every component and every motor combo thru out those years. I do have access to many old photos, I just have to travel a bit down the road to get them.

I did promise the owner I would put the car back running like it was in the day??

I'm going to start cleaning the interior up and see what it looks like!!!

Can any of you full fender guys tell me the best tire wheel size to fill up the fenders but not rub?? and maybe a pic or two? I have to at least have a big tire on the car(without changing the frame or fender)

Anyone out there have a open wheeled chopped Salts Flats style 32/33/34 for sale????? Then I can have what I think I want too??

redlineracer42 likes this.
  26. evintho

evintho

When I saw the pics, I 'bout soiled myself! Yeah, it's your car but that piece is hot rodding history in original, unmolested form! Preservation is warranted. Be the good steward and do what is right. Highboys are a dime a dozen. Restore it, Barrett-Jackson it and buy yourself 7 Highboys!

Dave50 likes this.
  27. F&J

F&J

I figured it must be a 50s build with that interior... :) and a dressy interior for back then, suggests the outside was pretty nice, too.

It's yours now, but if you decide to run it as it was full fender, with a small photo album of old pics and these pics, and some basic history, this car will always draw a huge crowd IMO.

Nothing wrong with a salt build, but i'd bet this car will steal the show when parked next to one :)

hope you can save those awesome door panels, or redo them as they once were. Very cool car, some people waited for decades to find a survivor "real" old build.

Dave50 likes this.
  28. rumblegutz

rumblegutz

A picture of the engine and trans would be of interest.

29. F&J

F&J

There is a way to have both options stay open, forever...

you sounded like you'd prefer a new complete rod chassis...IF you can find storage for the complete old chassis, as is, and the other parts.. then get a new chassis, and do your highboy. If you decide after 5 years that the old build appeals to you, you can put it all back with no harm done, and it will still be that old build.

30. SkyDriver

SkyDriver

Regarding rear tire size. I'm running a 255R 70/15 on a 7" wide wheel. The tire fills the fender opening nicely, puts about 8" of thread width down, and does not rub. However, you must be careful with your wheel backspacing selection.

Last edited: Aug 22, 2015