Register now to get rid of these ads!

NOT O/T: Best BBQ in Memphis?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Brad54, Feb 14, 2006.

1. Brad54

Brad54
    from Atl Ga

I'm picking up a '62 Suburban in Joplin next weekend, and driving back to Atlanta. It occured to me that one of the routes home can take me through Memphis. It'd be a real shame not to get a pic of the truck in front of Graceland, or go through Memphis without hitting a place for some really good BBQ.
    My 10-year-old (who loves ribs) will be with me, so please don't suggest "Fat Betty's Topless Bar-B-Que and Strip Joint."
    (Unless it's in a neighborhood where Boy Wonder can stay in the truck alone for a while. And they do Take-out.)
    Thanks.
    -Brad

2. [​IMG]
    Author Steven Raichlen had some nice things to say about Charlie Vergo's Rendezvous in his book BBQ Bible: “Whenever I go to Memphis I have a little ritual. I check into the Peabody Hotel, then duck down a dumpster-filled back alley, and rush to Charlie Vergos’ Rendezvous....for most people – locals and tourists alike – the Rendezvous’ dry ribs are the very essence of Memphis barbecue.” Read more...
    For three generations, the Rendezvous has been in the alley, downstairs, behind 52 South Second in downtown Memphis.
    Restaurant Hours:

Tuesday - Thursday, 4:30 pm - 10:30 pm Friday, 11 am - 11 pm Saturday 11:30 am - 11 pm

3. If you want a super greasy kick ass burger, in my opinion, then hit Beale Street and go to Dyers, Supposedly using the same grease since 1912, or should I say they just keep adding new to the old. Never using brand new at all. Get a double cheese. I'm thinking road trip, 8hrs there and 8 back :D

Farmall

4. The Rendezvous is as real as Memphis BBQ gets - a BIG part of why Memphis is famous for the stuff. Skipping The Rendezvous would be like going to Grand Canyon & not getting out of the car to look at it.

I've made the 6 hour trip from Knoxville just to have dinner on a few occasions.

JH

5. I can vouch for this joint....

Germantown Commissary
    2290 S Germantown Rd
    Germantown, TN

My brother swears by Neely's...I haven't tried it, but he ain't usually wrong.

6. Been here since '85, so here are my choices and why:

1 Corky's. The BEST ribs, wet or dry or combo. Always tender and fat free. NEVER had a bad batch. Good chopped pork also. Great rolls.
    2 locations. 50's R&R music

2. Germantown Comissary. All around good. Small, limited seating.

3. Rendevouz. Too dry and overcooked IMHO. Not open for lunch.
    Arrogant wait staff. Hurry up and eat and move on.

4. Interstate BBQ. (Neely's) On the greasy side. Too busy, too noisy at lunch. Good chopped pork.

5. Gridley's. PUUUKEY. Very greasy and a wait staff worse than Rendevouz'

Lots depends on what YOU like. Haven't tried any others.

"This is not a scientific survey and results may vary depending on consumer. Settling may occur.
    Not responsible for after effects of over-indulgence" :D

7. Redneck Smooth

Redneck Smooth
    from Cincinnati

I've eaten BBQ at every place in Memphis (I was on a long-term project there with a corporate AMEX) and never had bad ribs. For the value, though, you can't beat Leonard's. They have a buffet with ribs AND catfish most nights. It will leave you with a bad case of Leonard's Innards though if you, like me, can't stop yourself when you're full. Corky's is good, but a bit touristy and you often have to wait a long time with a bunch of yuppies for a table. Pig-N-Whistle has these awesome 'muddy' ribs which is a wet-sauced rib with the signature Memphis dry rub added at the last minute making it both crunchy and wet. Neely's is great and I'm usually the only white person there - a good sign when you're getting BBQ. The Rendezvous is good, too, but a bit on the dry side - their dry rub is THE quintessential Memphis BBQ, though. GTown Commissary is good, but small and often filled with GTown Yuppies. I like Gridley's too, I've never noticed them being exceptionally greasey. Honestly, though, you can't go wrong in Memphis that I've found. Everyplace I've mentioned with the exception of Leonard's, Neeley's, and the Rendezvous has a drive-thru. Man, you guys are giving me a massive BBQ jones now. How the fuck am I supposed to do something about that in Ohio? People around here think you can BBQ beef...

8. aussiesteve

aussiesteve
    BANNED

If you want something different go to Anderton,s.Great decor and great fried oysters!.

9. PIG AND WHISTLE = cheap and awesome!!! You at least have to hit it for a lunch ...

Corky's is also awesome..

10. Redneck Smooth

Redneck Smooth
    from Cincinnati

Come to think of it, PNW became my favorite before I left. Make sure you get your ribs MUDDY...

11. unclescooby

unclescooby
    from indy

I just had Corky's down there a few weeks ago and it was quite tasty.

Brad, since you are from Atlanta, I have to share my spiced right BBQ story with you. I went down to ride the Yellow River trails and camp for a week and I asked the guy at the bike shop what was the best BBQ in Atlanta. No hesitation...."Spiced Right BBQ" he said.

We get out to Spiced Right that night and it was just a big house with a neon sign. We went in and there was a big sign that said "Buffet $6.95 or $7.95 if you leave food on your plate". They weren't kidding either. Another sign at the Buffet said "take all you want but eat all you take". It was a little scary. Food was good and the BBQ was served dry and then there were 12 different sauces at the end of the buffet.

Our waitress came over to the table and she was about 70 years old with a white apron over a white t-shirt and a pack of smokes rolled up in her sleeve like the Fonz. Sweet little old southern lady.

I asked her what was the difference between the two hottest sauces, Top Fuel and Lil' Burner.

Her reply was priceless...
    "Well now that depends honey. Ya'll like your ribs tasty AND spicy? Or do you just like em fawkin hot?"

I'll always love Spiced Right just for that woman.

12. hotrodladycrusr

hotrodladycrusr

YOU GUYS SUCK ASS BIG TIME!:p

Ribs are my all time favorite but I haven't had any red meat for 46 days:eek: and you guys have just made me go into a rib craving rage:eek:

13. You're right! Forgot about those two. Haven't eaten there in years.
    "Roger that" on the BBQ jones. :D

14. BigT

BigT
    from Memphis

I like leanord's because they have catfish on the buffet on Fridays (probably a couple of other days too). You can't go wrong with Corky's but it is a little cheesy and a lot crowded. Check out he Barbeque Shop on Madison. Its always good and never too crowded. Interstate is really good but it can be hit or miss and you have to go to the hood to get it. Just a fat guy's opinion.

16. Dyers also has the fried baloney sandwich... in case your doctor says you aren't getting enough lips and eyes in your diet.

17. Redneck Smooth

Redneck Smooth
    from Cincinnati

Is that the BBQ Shoppe? I forgot about that place. Pork isn't red meat anyway. Haven't you seen those commercials by the Pork Council?

18. McGrath

McGrath

If you're gonna' be in Joplin anyway, go north a hour or so to Kansas City and get the real thing. I've had Memphis BBQ before, but most everybody in Missouri does it K.C. Style. Once you get used to eating the best, its kind of hard to lower yourself to Memphis' standards. ;)

If you are used to Texas style BBQ however, Memphis will be a step up...:D

19. Firefly

Firefly

20. McGrath

McGrath

Come to Missouri and try some smoked Brisket. You'll change your mind about Beef and BBQ.

I rub mine down with brown sugar, cayenne, and a few other spices, wrap it up and leave it set in the fridge for a couple days, then smoke it on slow coals with an occasional dose of Hickory or Apple wood for about 12 hours and slice it thin. Drizzle a little sweet/spicy homemade BBQ sauce on it and you're in BBQ heaven...

21. Hoptup Jalop

Hoptup Jalop

22. LongT

LongT

Now that sounds GOOOOD! I love brisket. Do you FedEX?