Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods FOUND MY REAR END LEAK !

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Don's Hot Rods, Aug 12, 2015.

1. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

About 6 years ago I needed a new 9 inch Ford center section for my 27 and my Son Dan also needed one for his rpu. We saw a guy on Ebay who sells 9 inch Track-Loc rears in any ratio and he had a good feedback rating. So we ordered two rear ends, mine is a 4.30 ratio and Dan's is a 4.10.

As soon as I installed mine and put gear oil in the rear, it started to drip out of the front seal. I called the guy and he said to send it back and he would send me a new one, which he did. When he got my first one back he called me and basically chewed me out and said "You overfilled the rear end, that is why it leaked !!" I told him how the hell do you overfill a Ford rear, you just fill it till it dribbles out of the fill hole and that is it ? He was super pissed and we parted not friends.

For 6 years, the second rear has also leaked out of the same seal, and it would even get all over my garage floor just sitting there. It finally got to the point I just ordered a brand new rear from someone else and installed it.

Tonight I got curious to see if the yoke was maybe worn, causing the leak, so I pulled out the yoke. This is what I found !

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Directly across from each other are two deep gouges in the seal surface of the yoke, as if someone took a chisel and put a deep reference mark on it for some reason. The gouges go way into the area that the seal rides on. There are also a lot of deep score marks on the seal area, and this rear probably has only about 2000 miles on it, if that.

The only thing I can think of is that this guy is using badly worn parts to build these rears, and the reason he has good feedback is that people put in the feedback as soon as they get the rear, and before they actually get to use it. That is what I did, and I wish I could go back and put in what I really think of this guy !

So, if you ever are thinking about buying a rear from a guy in Marcus Hook, Pennsylvania, who sells mainly on Ebay, remember these pictures.

Don

Last edited: Aug 12, 2015
  2. Damn that sucks.1st pic almost looks deliberate.

3. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

Funny you should say that...........I kinda wondered about that too. Nothing I know of would cause that kind of damage, it absolutely looks like someone took a chisel and hit it with a hammer really hard. I hate to think that he would be the kind of guy to do that, just because he was not happy with me sending the first one back, but who knows.

Both gouges are at exactly 6 and 12 oclock, not just randomly lined up.

Don

4. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

My rearend leaks too. Fortunately, its usually gaseous rather than liquid.
    And yes, I would say that appears to be intentional damage.

5. 2racer

2racer

6. squirrel

squirrel

I guess this is why I learned how to work on pretty much every part of a car...I get to blame only myself when I screw stuff up, because I put it all together.

7. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

And when I DO fuck up, I get to learn something from it...hopefully...
    Fucking things automotive up for around 40 yrs now...

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  8. Don't know but looks like he used cut off wheel to remove the yoke. Probably buys rears from a scrap yard.

9. Glad you found the problem. Looks like careless work.
    Your thread title shows you haven't lost your sense of humor over the whole thing!

10. Bingo. Probably uses the blue wrench as well on real stubborn shit...

11. .....and I wish I could go back and put in what I really think of this guy !

So, if you ever are thinking about buying a rear from a guy in Marcus Hook, Pennsylvania, who sells mainly on Ebay, remember these pictures.

Don[/QUOTE]
    Hey Don .... go back into your feedback .... on that auction site. You can "follow up reply" to the feedback that you left. Inside the Feedback Forum there is a "Follow Up To Feedback Left" button. Essentially the back handed slap button. If the guy responds to what you follow up with .... you have one more final word after that. He won't be able to respond to the second follow up's reply. Closed for all of time. Sorry about the rearend. That sucks. The dumbass could have easily fixed that before he sent it out to you.

Don.jpg

tb33anda3rd likes this.
  12. metlmunchr

metlmunchr

A fella worked for me who'd previously been the transmission man in a Ford dealership for a number of years. He said he quickly learned to not throw away any hard parts he'd replaced in a trans because people from some of the chain trans rebuilders would come around and buy then. He made nothing off the new parts he installed and the owner of the dealership was a real stickler for not selling customers unnecessary parts, so the used parts he'd have were strictly stuff with defects. Looks like this seller might do his parts shopping from the same sort of junk pile.

13. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

could be this, honestly never thought of it. What a HACK.

14. I had a new bearing put on a 9inch axle once that leaked afterwards, took it somewhere else to see what was up with it. The previous guy used a cutoff wheel to cut the old bearing off and it left the same mark in the seal area.

Buddy Palumbo and Atwater Mike like this.
  15. Like I tell the guys at work, "not looking to blame anyone, let's just find out what happened so it doesn't happen again". In this case, you can still give the guy crap, and fix it. Should be able to fill the gouges with J-B, or weld, dress it, then install a speedi-sleeve.

16. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

By God, I think you guys have nailed it with the cutoff wheel !!! Yes, that is exactly what it looks like. I am going to buy a new 1310 yoke from someone and put a new seal on it and save this rear for some future project.

You guys are GOOD !!! :D

Don

17. Regarding Ebay feedback - Leave remarks / comments that you can go back to, that make sense. I used to just say "thanks" or "great deal!". Then I had a deal similar to yours, where I didn't use the part purchased for 2 years or so. The part turned out to be junk, but the generic feedback I wrote made it impossible for me to determine who the seller was. I wanted to send him a note saying "thanks alot a-hole!" but couldn't. Now I say stuff like....."thanks for the $400 (leaky) aluminum radiator". Someone can correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe your comments stay while the price and the item eventually get removed.

18. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

I am not going to go back and try to do anything now, after 6 years of owning this rear, especially since everyone who knows this guy says he is a really stand up guy and very knowledgeable on 9 inch rears. I will just chalk it up to him making a mistake and let it go at that.

For whatever reason, he took offense that the first rear that went back to him looked like it was something we had done wrong. That is when it started going downhill between us. But I am convinced we did nothing wrong because I have installed a bunch of rear ends over the years, even used ones, and never had one leak like these have. Even the one in my Sons car, that we bought from him at the same time, seeps gear lube slightly. Dan build a shied over it to keep the grease off of his suspension, and he just wipes it off occasionally.

Mainly, I just wanted to vent when I saw the reason for the leaks, and to find out what might have caused those gouges. You guys solved that for me, I think a cutoff was used for some reason and that is what caused them.

Thanks to all for the help.

Don

19. That's cool Don....
    For some reason though, your thread got me "worked-up" about a certain radiator that I bought in 2013. To expand on my post above, I was able to track down my seller through paypal. So, I just sent him this note through Ebay......

Dear sweetymo78,

Just wanted to let you know - that aluminum radiator I bought from you in November of 2013 LEAKED! The one you claimed was new, but your build "changed direction"........the one I paid you $400 f^%#ing dollars for! And left you positive feedback! I have since updated my comments, but it's water under the bridge now. I filled the radiator this spring after spending a good portion of 2 years getting it ready. The radiator had multiple pin-hole leaks. I am selling it this weekend to a gentleman in Iowa that will be using it for mock-up reasons for $75. I could never screw over a fellow hot rodder.
    - plumbid

20. Anybody know sweetymo78?:mad:

The power of the HAMB!

Last edited: Aug 13, 2015
  21. I see a couple of posi and R & P packages on evilBay, sellers say they're all new name brand parts. I would have to either install them into my ham or get a donor ham. Which may be the way to go after seeing the above pictures.

22. Don, they must have cut off that slinger[?] dust shield with the cut off saw? i can't think of any other reason to have a chisel or cut off saw any were near that part.

23. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

You are probably right. In fact, now that I think about it, there was NO slinger on this rear. The new one I just bought, and every other one I have seen, has that slinger in that spot. That is what probably happened.

Don

24. Mike Rouse

Mike Rouse

Have you tried a seal saver on the yoke?

Mike

25. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

No, I am just going to put a new yoke on it, mainly because this damaged yoke is that bastardized one that makes you use a u joint with two different sized bearings on it, one size on the driveshaft and one on the yoke. The new center section I just bought uses a standard 1310 yoke and I had to have a new driveshaft made that was an inch longer to fit it, so if I put a 1310 yoke on this one I can switch back to the 4.30 gears if I don't like the new 3.70's.

I did have the guy who built the 8 inch rear for my rpu project use one of those speedy sleeves and it did a good job though.

I am just going to use this damaged yoke as a paper weight on my computer desk. :D

Don

26. Mike Rouse

Mike Rouse

Good move Don

Mike

27. thirtytwo

thirtytwo

Can't be that much of a 9" guru if he thought that wouldn't leak

28. 1934coupe

1934coupe

You guys are fast! I just got to read this post but that's exactly what those 2 marks are. Glad you found it. Another bit of knowledge learned from the school of HAMB.

Pat