Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Build thread: 1959 Edsel Villager wagon

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by castirondude, Apr 23, 2013.

1. castirondude

castirondude

Man that's a gorgeous ride! I still have <ahem> some work to do before mine looks like that!

I don't know why y'all keep thinking I want to lower the car. The engine already got at least 3" lowering effect with the stock springs - and a beautifully smooth ride. What I'm trying to do is get the smoothest ride I can get at the stock height.

I live on a dirt road and my huge transmission and 3" exhaust already use up an extra inch-or-two, so I was banging and scraping quite a bit. So I just wanted to restore it to basically the original ride height. I did want the ride to be nice and soft. Hence I went with the really tall 300lb/in springs.

These are Moog 5270, they come in around $80-90 so a little more than the aerostar but not bad.

Do you know what the lb/in rating of the aerostar springs is? It says variable but what is the nominal rate?

2. castirondude

castirondude

3. flynbrian48

flynbrian48

Cool build, and a great wagon! You done good. I did some rust repair and paint work on my buddy's Edsel wagon last spring and like the car a lot. IMG_1653.jpg

castirondude likes this.
  4. castirondude

castirondude

Looks great! Basically that's the inverse of the paint scheme my car has.

Which reminds me, now I'm wondering what's next
    - Windshield wipers (already functional but need to redo the linkages)
    - Heat and A/C , and finish interior wiring
    - Fix a couple of slow leaks (power steering leaks around the shaft and the lower radiator hose adapter I welded up has a micro pin hole in it)
    - Body work (couple of rust spots. May hire this out too. I have a good TIG welder but I'm still sharpening my skills)
    - Paint (will probably hire this out)
    - Interior, weather stripping & upholstery (my sugar uncle may be willing to help me there ;) )
    - New springs or air shocks in the back
    - Door & tailgate mechanisms (basically functional but need to be lubed)

I'm also building a home so I have limited time to work on the car. It's raining today so I have a good excuse :)

I think the best thing is just to drive it more regularly and check all the nuts and bolts and fluids so I build more confidence. No way this car will miss the Lone Star Roundup !!

desotot likes this.
  5. desotot

desotot

uh oh says sugar uncle.

castirondude likes this.
  6. castirondude

castirondude

It would be cool to try a Moog 8166 that one is even softer at 280 lb/in

7. greg

greg

Fordcustom, What engine are you running. My wagon has the FE, so I am guessing it would be heavier that the y-block.

8. castirondude

castirondude

We're moving!
    I bought some cargo containers for storage. The Edsel was the first to go in of course - keep the sun, rain and the goats off of it.

[​IMG]

In the meanwhile I'm cleaning up. The old 223 didn't sell in 2 years and I'm tired of dealing with no-show craigslisters, so I bid it farewell..

[​IMG]

9. greg

greg

I understand the moving thing. Hopefully you new digs will have a nice garage. I have worked on my edsel about 6 hours in the last year and 1/2. But hoping to get back on it soon. I also havent been on the hamb much.

10. Tim Kennedy

Tim Kennedy

OK Edsel guys, I'm making my plan to restore mine. I've got a 390 with a 2 speed. Right now my plan is a 4 wheel disc brake upgrade, a serpentine belt set up, an Edelbrock performer intake and 600cfm carb, the saganaw power steering pump and alternator upgrade. Anyone know what transmission I can get into my wagon without cutting the transmission tunnel? I'm thinking C6 but would like overdrive. Also what upgrade can I do for the steering? I'd like to keep the original steering wheel and column because they are cool. I'll worry about the body later. Thanks

11. unclescooby

unclescooby
    from indy

Did you ever do weatherstrip replacement? I'm seriously struggling on the rear quarter panel window weatherstrip