Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Dodge This - 1939 Dodge Southeast Gasser Build

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Dog_Patch, Aug 12, 2014.

1. That Vicky is going to be a cool project! A big Caddy mill would be cool to see. If he can afford the bill a chevy 409 like the one in the picture would be bitchen too.

2. wrenchbender

wrenchbender

That Vicky is damned kool here is a pic of a friend of mines Chevy Vicky he has since sold it and now has a 57 delivery gasser but it was awesome it had a big blown Pontiac and a clutch turbo a little inspiration for you guys

ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1439178650.704850.jpg

kiwijeff and Dog_Patch like this.
  3. captmullette

captmullette

good looking Vicky, we need a build thread...... cabbage

Dog_Patch likes this.
  4. Yeah Cabbage - start your own thread o_O

Getting ready for the 467 pistons to arrive from CP. Torqued down the mains.
    IMG_1584 (Copy).jpg

IMG_1585 (Copy).jpg

Leveled the block and poured in Hard Blok to about the middle of the top freeze plug. Didn't want to get too full like on the previous block. It took about 2/3 of a Tall Fill bag so maybe 10 lbs of filler. Looks like it will add about 20 lbs total to the engine.
    IMG_1586 (Copy).jpg

5. Higgy's Henry

Higgy's Henry

Dogger, did you get this beast on a scale yet? The car I mean

6. Yeah they had a scale at Shady Side, it came out to 2730 with me in it. It worked out to 54% weight on the front. Which might be some of my issue with popping nice long wheelies :( Been kicking around the idea of getting a glass mold of the front clip made. That would take 100lbs off the nose. Never done any glass work ever, so not sure about that project yet.

sonic03bluegt likes this.
  7. Good Idea!!

Dog_Patch likes this.
  8. dirty old man

dirty old man
    Member Emeritus

I agree with Tudor, you're about as far as you can go with gutting out stuff and throwing it away. Remaining weight reduction is gonna have to come from use of lighter weight material components for the most part, and all that steel on the front has gotta be heavy. Good Winter project!
    I forget, do you already have aluminum heads? Aluminum radiator?

Dog_Patch likes this.
  9. Yep aluminum heads and radiator. Think I wrote the numbers down somewhere, seems like the iron heads are 75lbs each and the aluminum ones are 40lbs each.

10. Mac30

Mac30
    1. S.F.C.C.

Light weight brakes, drilled axle, lightened spool, CM driveshaft. Not only lighter but lighter rotating mass! Mo Powah!

GAOldsman and Dog_Patch like this.
  11. allwilly

allwilly

Drill the rotors n aluminum calipers will help...maybe a switch to a lighter race rotor too

Dog_Patch likes this.
  12. stealthcruiser

stealthcruiser

Fill it up with Helium.................................

13. dirty old man

dirty old man
    Member Emeritus

Tony, my son is in the composite materials shop @ the same place as Stealth Cruiser. He might be able to help out on advice for consrtuction of a nonmetallic front end assy. I do know that you can go one of 2 ways.
    One is to build a male mold and layup fiberglass on it, which makes a decent finish on exterior require more material, filler, etc. = more weight than making a female mold and doing layup inside the mold. Smooth surface requires much less work and filler, = less weight.

Dog_Patch likes this.
  14. II FUNNY

II FUNNY

I wouldn't get too worried about it...your going to be under weight with the new motor @ 6lbs per ci.

15. flamin-408

flamin-408

Dang I hate that but I guess will make a good door stop and conversation piece. See why I said it's not a gamble Tony. I will look to see what else 392 parts i can come up with here I know I have another crank heads and water pump.

Dog_Patch likes this.
  16. II FUNNY

II FUNNY

Unless your not thinking your going to run fast enough to for the weight limit to be a factor...I know I ain't worried about mine going that fast.

Last edited: Aug 10, 2015
    sonic03bluegt likes this.
  17. But but but - it says 392 on the fender :rolleyes: I have no worries of going too fast - mainly finishing the quest to build a 5/8 stroker. I didn't think the stock crank stock caps engine was going to live as well at it has. The billet crank motor was put in motion last December ..... idle hands and the devil's playground and all that stuff. :D

30dodgeboy likes this.
  18. It might be ok in a street motor - like DOM says above - they are all most likely cracked, but I bet a crank stamped REATH and MOXLEY saw some NITRO. I'll get it back to you on Sept 5th. We are talking about going to Commerce Saturday for Test and Tune and maybe hit the Pink Pony Car Show on the way home ?:)

19. II FUNNY

II FUNNY

Mines a 396 then....looks like I have a lot more cutting to do.lol

30dodgeboy and Dog_Patch like this.
  20. II FUNNY

II FUNNY

Or worse....the stuff that makes green flames!

30dodgeboy and Dog_Patch like this.
  21. stealthcruiser

stealthcruiser

D O M..........Tony presently has a "male mold".

Dog_Patch likes this.
  22. dirty old man

dirty old man
    Member Emeritus

I agree, and with the proper techniques he can make a female mold from it.Thinking maybe #1 son can offer advice on that and maybe on carbon fiber?

23. 466.965711828 cubic inches x 6 lbs. = 2801.794270968 lbs! Better put a sack of cheeseburgers in that things ass!
    See what good friends Kip and I are, just saved you from lots of fiber glass splinters! Now, how to get Yesterdays Child down to 2478 with driver.., hmm..,

Dog_Patch, saltflats and II FUNNY like this.
  24. When the flames are green... ;)

Dog_Patch and II FUNNY like this.
  25. II FUNNY

II FUNNY

Holy cow man, 9 places past the decimal point...you must have one of those calculators you need a physics degree to operate.

Dog_Patch and loudbang like this.
  26. Burning pistons make green smoke, and smells like the crispy stuff on the grill after cooking chicken!

27. enloe

enloe
    from east , tn.

28. WOW Wiseco only went out 3 places past the dot - my hopes are high that the flycutting will be minimal this time.
    So what's on the fender of Yesterdays Willy ? 303 ci ? I've seen numbers as low as 289 on fenders :rolleyes: I might put 271 Dodge Red Ram on the side when the new bottom end is done.

Speaking of - here are some Hard Blok pics

First I made a stirring thingy with some rod and a piece of flat stock. Whip it! Whip it good!

IMG_1590.JPG

Funnel it in the water holes - don't confuse the oil galley or lifter holes ..... IMG_1591.JPG

Stop when its just right - not when the bucket is empty. :) I used a wire to poke around and level all the different pockets out. IMG_1592.JPG

If you have a Minion you don't have to mess with any of this.

[​IMG]

29. 415.29116706 cubes x 6 = 2491.74700236 lbs. (I was sand bagging 2 cubes yesterday). Don't worry Tony, that's about 300-400 lbs south of where Yesterdays Porker can be anytime soon. We just gotta build s better mousetrap.., hmmm Morris Minors are 86" wheelbase & 1700 lbs.., hmmm 2000 lbs. divided by 6 = 333.333333333 cubes.., hmmm.

Dog_Patch likes this.