Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods "REAL DEAL" HOT ROD CLUB

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Eric Wolf, Aug 8, 2015.

1. Eric Wolf

Eric Wolf

image.jpg image.jpg

My 17 year old boy Jack (a senior at Grant High School) and I realized a 10 year dream a couple months ago and bought a '30 roadster (sight unseen!) in Anderson, Indiana. It was built in 1963-64 and won the "street roadster" class in the '66 Indianapolis Autorama. It hadn't really been driven much in the last 30 years. We took the train to Indiana, made the deal, drained the stinkin' old gas out of her and put in a fresh tank of gas and a new battery and drove her home to Portland! We would love to hang out and attend events with other guys who drive and work on old hot rods. We don't really dig the "winery touring" types of clubs and billet "street rods" and trailer queens don't much do it for us--just a club with regular guys who like to bomb around in real hot rods. Anyone belong to or know of such a club?

Eric Wolf

Attached Files:

2. clem

clem

Welcome to the HAMB !

3. Eric Wolf

Eric Wolf

Thanks!

4. 117harv

117harv

I'm a regular guy as you put it, and like to do winery tours, just not with a club.

Nice score, can we get more pics please?

lothiandon1940 likes this.

5. Model T1

Model T1

That's a great looking site unseen rod! You were sure brave to drive a "little driven" show car as far as you did.
    You definately don't need any wine to have a good time cruisin in an old car.
    Altho we do have a winery a few miles down the road.

6. Good score, you did well, welcome to this site, lots of information, mostly good!!

7. That is a rad car!

8. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

So, to help you find a CC that meets your standards gotta let people know what part of the world that you are in - Nice ride - so, have you changed all of the fluids & oil filter - replaced brake shoes (even if "look" good)& repacked wheel bearings - closely looked at tires for any sign of cracking - double checked all wiring - etc?

Last edited: Aug 8, 2015
    Model T1 likes this.
  9. Eric Wolf

Eric Wolf

image.jpg image.jpg

Thanks so much for all the speedy replies! We are looking for a club in or around Portland, Oregon. I guess "ignorance is bliss"--we got lucky and other than replacing the front brake hoses halfway into the trip home (first time I had to brake HARD on the interstate the little roadster shot over two lanes to the left! Good thing it was late at night so almost no other traffic and a wide emergency lane...), we had no problems. We've put almost 1500 miles on her since we got back and we're having a great time but would love to blast around with a bunch of other rods. We'd like to get in touch with the guys in Vancouver who had a great group of cars at The Portland Roadster Show a couple years back (including that beautiful purple 'T that I believe won AMBR)....

Model T1 likes this.
  10. 3wLarry

3wLarry
    Member Emeritus
    from Owasso, Ok

where did you stow your luggage and tools?...you did bring tools with you to change those brake hoses?...and you did bring luggage because a 2200 mile train ride would take a minimum of 3 days travel time plus another 3 days driving time back...inquiring minds.

11. chevyfordman

chevyfordman

I belong to the lone wolf club, they can be found in any city, they don't do what you said so you would love them. I drive the wheels off my 32 roadster and me and the wife have a ball. Good score, tell me down the road if the roadster isn't the best and most fun car that you have ever owned. DSCN2650.JPG

Model T1, AHotRod and lothiandon1940 like this.
  12. You surely changed the tires!

13. lothiandon1940 likes this.
  14. Buddy Palumbo

Buddy Palumbo

That's a fine looking ride ya got there ! It looks like you have a full stack of gauges to watch as you drive along too, always a good thing. Drive the wheels of that sucker and let us know how she works out for you along the way.

15. Just start going to events. They will find you if they dig your car. You are asking about the Inland Emperors out of Spokane. Another car club that has some good people in it is the Estranged CC in Portland. Just remember. You get asked to join if they want you.

gobybike likes this.
  16. Eric Wolf

Eric Wolf

Wow! Thanks for everyone's nice responses and the info on Portland clubs. Part of our deal included a set of decent used tires on all four corners. They were decent enough for the trip back home but we'll be replacing them with new tires before the rains come. We travelled light knowing we only had trunk space that already had a battery taking up a chunk--a duffel each with a spare pair of pants, a weeks's worth of t-shirts and underwear and toiletries--and our black Craftsman tool kit. We're looking forward to the Radke's show next weekend!

17. I'd suggest you go back into your profile in fill in the location info even though you've clarified it in one post. Folks are in the habit of looking at your avatar and attached info for quick reference, it will help hook you up and avoid repetitive questions.

The car is your calling card, as mentioned, like minded people will find you as you participate in any car function.............whether you think it's a "wine tour" deal or not. If I drive my '36 roadster I meet more street rod types, my Mustang, the muscle and pony people, the flathead hiboy roadster and it's the folks like you are probably looking for. They don't know, nor care, that my interests are broader than the particular car they see me with at any given time. I'm not much of a club guy, burned out on that stuff 30 some years ago, so can't give you any contacts. But there are some events, such as the Radke's you're planning on. Also Billetproof Drags in a couple weeks, will draw a crowd from a larger geographic circle: http://billetproof.com/index.php/hot-rod-eruption-drags-aug-23-2015/

I think there's a weekly car gathering at PIR or Beaches, if I remember correctly. Those are usually good for a broad range of build/years/styles.

18. Eric Wolf

Eric Wolf

image.jpg Boy, that "wine tour" thing really got a couple guys going. I just meant we were looking for a club where the members were more into cars and car events as opposed to more a social club where all the members had cars. Not trying to split hairs--I've spent the last 45 years listening to my Uncle Bill (Google "bill hoffman '53 chevy portland or") talk about his days as a Throttle King and early Portland hot rodding so have always just pictured belonging to a club like that, if that kind of club exists. I've heard Estranged CC IS like that and look forward to meeting some of their members. Again, everyone has their ideal situation--club, no club, social club, gear head club, WHATEVER--but Jack and I generally like and get along with all car guys! Here's a picture of our other car--had her almost 35 years.

302GMC and Model T1 like this.
  19. Couple nice rides ya got there. Enjoy! :)

20. AHotRod

AHotRod

You should take that picture of your roadster and make it your new Avitar picture.
    Tell us all about the Roadster ....and the road trip.

21. bob3757

bob3757
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Tigard, Or

I would suggest taking your car to the Beaches Cruise In, at Portland International Raceway, every Wed. through the end of Sept, costs $5.00 for the car and 2 people. I would suggest getting there about 3 to 4 PM.