Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Rear Leaf spring help

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by mckim2000, Aug 9, 2015.

1. mckim2000

mckim2000

I'm building a 36 ford slant back and need some help with the rear leaf springs. I have a 9 inch rear end and have gotten the rear end mounting kit from Chassis Engineering. I would like to find some springs that will work. Chassis Engineering makes great stuff, but the springs would run me over $300 and I would like to save by finding some local.
    Does anyone have any ideas? You guys have always been very helpful. Thanks

2. Call the guys a Chassis Engineering,20 years ago they listed different springs in their catalog that would work with their kits. HRP

3. alphabet soup

alphabet soup
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I bought their brackets also. Put them in place and did some measuring. 1970 Dodge 1/2 ton pick-up front springs looked to be the right ones. Rear of the spring even had the reversed spring eye. The car seems to sit fine in the rear. But the low rider guys might want to have them de-arched.

4. Ole don

Ole don

Take very careful measurements, and call a spring shop. St. Louis Spring, is a good one. Eaton is another.

5. Seems like it was Dodge truck springs. HRP

6. Bought a '47 Ford with a CE kit and Dodge springs, sat somewhat higher than a stock buggy spring (like a 4x4). Purchased some CE springs; brought it down some; but still needed blocks to get to a better ride height. Maybe the PO had the wrong Dodge springs?

7. mckim2000

mckim2000

Thanks for the help. Will look for some 70 Dodge springs.
    Thanks again

8. aaggie

aaggie

Call me old but I have found that getting all of the parts from the same vendor that pent a lot of time and money getting it all to work right is cheaper in the long run. You might piece it together and eventually get it right but it will test your patience.

9. I used the Chassis Engineering rear kit on a bare '40 frame I picked up at a swap meet and used it under a '39 Ford convertible,I also used the CI rear springs,it set perfect for me. HRP

10. Just working on another CE set up on my coupe, same results---too high, higher than my kid's '36 with a stock buggy spring. Made a set of blocks to get it lower and in the center of the wheel well.

Picked up a set of Posies '35-'40 parallel springs from the classifieds and going to try a set of their
    adjustable mounts on the '40 sedan (if I ever get to it).
    initial.jpg lowered.jpg jeff.jpg

okiedokie likes this.
  11. I used '56 F100 FRONT springs on the rear of this.

002.jpg

12. brokenspoke

brokenspoke

I used dodge 4x4 front springs on my 40 Ford coupe using CE kit

13. okiedokie

okiedokie
    from Ok

A friend used the Dodge on a 40 coupe, lousy ride so he changed to CE. I used the CE springs on my 40 with no blocks, sets great. Maybe it is the heavy duty springs they sell that require blocks.

14. alphabet soup

alphabet soup
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

What I found out about the Dodge springs is; the 1/2 ton and 3/4 ton springs are the same length. I know because I ended up putting the springs on my car and it sat cadywompas. When I started looking around, the right spring had 5 leaves (3/4 ton) and the left only had four (1/2 ton). I now have two 4 leaf springs. And think it sits and rides pretty nice. Lincoln Town Car nice, no. But '40 Ford hot rod nice, yes. I bet you could even make them a 3 leaf spring on a coupe and get a better ride. But I don't think you could do it on a 2 or 4 door sedan because of the weight.