Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Cpp kit for disc conversion 56 Chevy pickup

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Mr poopy pants, Jun 3, 2015.

1. Cymro

Cymro

Has anybody used the equivalent kit from Speedway, does that kit have any issues?

2. Mr poopy pants

Mr poopy pants

I had a feeling that the Speedway kit was for a 5 lug application, I wanted to keep my 6 lug setup.
    I'm in Cardiff over the weekend !!

3. Cymro

Cymro

I wanted a 5 stud conversion to run some ARE s, sadly I live at the opposite end of the country.

4. i used all the parts from the blazer, calipers, pads and rotors. there were a couple years that the four wheel drive caliper brackets looked like a drum backing plates [around 78-79?] with a full steel shield . i run the original hubs with the roller bearings.
    when i did it, i had been working on a restoring a chevy truck and had the axle on my work bench to do the work. i had recently replaced rotors on a truck and happened to put the rotor on the hub. the ahh haah moment! that Friday evening after work i took the blazer axle apart and made the mods using the axle from the restoration i was doing. next day i pulled my truck in and made the swop. drove home that afternoon. i am on the fifth set of pads and a couple brake jobs ago i put new rotors and calipers on.
    $75 axle and some time in 1991.

5. mgtstumpy

mgtstumpy

I feel the pain, I got stiffed on an engine kit from the US to Australia some years ago. Distance and freight are the killer when we are so far away. Purchasing and returning faulty parts is cost prohibitive, size and weight play a big factor. Unlike the US there aren't many suppliers and/or parts cars / trucks close by. In our case, NOT.
    I bought a CPP 90 degree under dash brake pedal assembly with hydroboost and everything seems to fit and work so far.

6. Mr poopy pants

Mr poopy pants

7. Mr poopy pants

Mr poopy pants

8. Mr poopy pants

Mr poopy pants

9. Mr poopy pants

Mr poopy pants

image.jpg The spacers arrived!!
    They look ok I guess they are made in Taiwan ...
    I tried one spacer 1/4 ... No luck wheel still hits on the caliper. I tried both spacers so 1/2 inch in all still no good.
    I'm going to order up a new pair of wheels from Jegs a company I've used before. They do an online price match which is brilliant. You find your product as cheap as possible post in the URL or company name and price and they will match it!! image.jpg

10. Mr poopy pants

Mr poopy pants

image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg I ordered up 2 new wheels from Jegs on Thursday and and they arrived on Monday great service guys many thanks. $59.97 each.
    These are 15 x 6 - 6 studs on a 5.5 Pcd
    Because they are welded together not riveted they fit perfectly, I'll use my old tires until I get everything else sorted out and ready I may get some wide whites later.
    The wheels have a really good quality primer on them they look almost powder coated. A great base for paint or powder coating later.
    I ran the new rims to the local tire place they swapped out the tires and fitted new valves for under $15

Here's a few pics image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

11. seb fontana

seb fontana
    from ct

CPP looks great in the ads, they seem to have something for any application...I can't remember seeing a compliant here on the HAMB, sorry you had so much trouble..If their up grade bearings didn't fit what did you use? Just took numbers off old bearings and bought locally?

12. Mr poopy pants

Mr poopy pants

Hi Seb, when you order up the kit it comes with a set of bearings that fit the hub. The salesman told me the upgraded bearings listed elsewhere on their site are better than the ones in the kit. After charging me $95.00 dollars they sent them over to me...but they do not fit !!
    I used the original ones that they first supplied.

13. Mr poopy pants

Mr poopy pants

14. Mr poopy pants

Mr poopy pants

So bit of a late update but here it is.
    The original steel wheels, the black ones on the truck in the first picture, do not fit the front now because of the disc and calipers. I bought 5 new ones from Summit racing, I love Summit they are the best!
    They are wheel Vintiques. Really well made, lazer welded and have a slightly squarer internal shoulder, because of this they easily fit over the disc and calipers I have fitted on the front of the truck. I had them powdercoated in a tarty red colour. I did quite like the Vintiques semi gloss grey primer though.
    I ordered up a set of Coker wide whites pricey but nicey to complete the look.
    While I was there I also rebuilt the rear brakes with stock parts and replaced all the brake lines and fitted stainless braided flexible hoses front and rear. The servo and brake master cylinder unit from CPP did bolt right in, I had to have a new handbrake cable made for me as the original interfered with the booster brackets, not a bad thing as while I am upgrading the brakes, the emergency brake should also be considered as part of the rebuild.
    When the brakes failed because one of the drums cracked, I drove this truck around town with no brakes for about 4 or 5 miles several traffic lights and circulars stop signs and busy traffic...I never want to do this again or recommend it to anyone either. A good working emergency could save your life.

I took a vacuum feed off of the bottom spacer under the carb with hard aluminum line for most of the run to the servo and then finished it with rubber pipes with clips t either end.
    I have a remote reservoir in the engine bay which makes topping up and keeping an eye on fluid levels really easy.

What''s it drive like?
    I was a bit anxious as I drove it for the first time after the brake build up, Wow, what a difference.
    The truck could stop on a dime weather conditions allowing, it is an absolute pleasure to drive now with complete confidence. A light touch on the power assist pedal and it stops amazingly well, pressure on the pedal is very light and it stops really quick, it takes a while to get used to the new responsiveness and I love it.
    The other thing is that the pedal rides at the same height as the clutch so it feels easier to operate. It is also progressive, so, as you apply more pressure on the pedal it just stops harder and faster.
    The new tyres squeal easy if I want them to with powerful brakes and easy stopping.
    The nose dips when I brake hard and so I think that the balance between front and rear are about right.
    For a heavy vehicle it stops brilliantly. I fitted anti roll bars back and front, this along with the new brakes and wheels and tyres have totally transformed the ride of this truck.
    I have fitted a new radiator this week. I swapped out the old points type distributor with a new HEI unit new plugs with bigger gaps and new HT leads.
    My truck is transformed! Perky motor and great brakes good looking set of wheels and tyres ready for some summer fun and more sensible upgrades along the way.

IMG_0423.JPG IMG_0424.JPG IMG_0428.JPG IMG_0429.JPG IMG_0426.JPG

tb33anda3rd likes this.