Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Early 24 stud flattie in a deuce

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by hb32, Jul 28, 2015.

1. Looking for options to install a 39-41 Merc Flattie in a 32 pickup. Will be using a 40 trans as well. I do not want to hack up the front crossmember and if possible would rather not weld anything to the frame. Still have not figured out how to properly use the search function.

2. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

All is easy, except for paying for the needed radiator.
    In front...stock deuce V8 mount$*, OR Hurst A28 tabs (several drilled holes in rails, much cheaper!)(kind of reproduced by Tardel for bolt in side mounting)
    In back...mount and clutch lever from the B and any V8 trans. Enlarge hole in floorboard if post 1935 trans.
    Piece of angle iron drilled to mount brake lever to trans top
    Drake kit upper hoses, or piece hoses together from late '30's stuff
    Lower hoses....Aaaargh.
    V8 gaspedal and cross
    A '41 Ford engine wire harness is excellent and cheap start on engine wiring and voltage reg...
    You need a generator with fan type pulley and a fan with workable length of hub
    Hmmm...what else? head hurt.

*very minor mods needed

3. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

Oh...'40 trans. Traditional side shift '32 as covered in Car Craft tech article lics up some room by narrowing pedals...1" cut out of pedal box, inner sides of pedal pivots narrowed to match. '40 shift stuff installed on column, slid around until a way to get things past the head is found. Never tried this. Probably more than one way to skin that cat. Or throw away the case, and stuff your '40 gears into earlier box.

4. Bruce, do the Tardel or A-28 tabs bolt to the inside of the frame rail or does the frame need to be boxed ?
    Also, in using stock mounts, what pumps are needed and isn`t there an issue with pulley clearance as well as lower hose interference?

5. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

Tardel and A28s bolt through sides and top of stock rails. Other stuff is usually for boxed frame...Speedway shows what look like A-28 in some drawings, but others seem to indicate they are for boxed.
    Stock mounts on engines with '37-48 passenger pumps need minor grinding of edge of pumps sometimes, and some clearancing (traditionally done savagely, but actual need is very subtle) where the fan belt cuts across the mount. No big deal, but expensive parts! Ford supplied a rather rare single sheave late pulley, which can be made by trimming flange or sheave on common '39-48 lower pulley. I think, actually, everything mentioned in this last discussion is reproduced, too.

6. Jimmy2car

Jimmy2car
    from No. Cal

As Bruce has mentioned, best to use the Original (or reproduced) front engine mounts. Makes life so much easier and NO frame mods. If you have the early trans case, put the later gears in it.
    On my 32 with 59 type block, I did NOT have to clearance the 32 mounts. I use a machine belt that rides slightly lower in the pulley groove.
    I also removed the mounts from the pumps, so they don't show the obvious change.
    For the front crank pulley, I just turned off the front pulley from a std 59 front pulley.
    Everything lines up fine, without any modification to the front cross member.
    For the lower radiator hoses, I had the radiator shop move the lower hose connections down about 15 degrees. This allowed a much easier hose solution.
    I will get the hose number for you as soon as I can

7. Jimmy2car

Jimmy2car
    from No. Cal

Also, for the upper hoses, I took a coat hanger and bent it to the proper shape, then had a muffler shop bend some tubing to match, making sure that one was about an inch longer. When the tubes are inserted into the hose parts, they secure the thermostats.

8. moonlight graham

moonlight graham
    from wyo

10326461_238370473027437_1851761158_n.jpg 10296614_1437507386501162_1375179860_n.jpg

Check at nealinca chassis build thread. He made a set of bolt on motor mounts for the 59AB that bolted to the original shock mount location. Another consideration are the custom hoses made by aultz, I think he's in Sweden, they really help solve the "how do you make the hoses fit" problem.

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/hot-rod-radiator-hoses.968946/

Last edited: Jul 28, 2015
  9. Thanks Jimmy and pics would be nice if you are able.
    I am not sure what case I have but think it is a 46+
    I was originally going to stuff the later gears into a "B" box but since I swapped from the Banger, do not need to go through that exercise.
    I will research the mounts as well but thought I had read about clearance issues on the lower hoses.

10. 2935ford

2935ford

hb32.....if you decide on using the front stock style mounts....I have a set I won't be using.
    They are re pops.

11. Jimmy2car

Jimmy2car
    from No. Cal

I have no clearance issues with the lower hoses interfering with the belts, if that's what you mean?

12. xix32

xix32

[​IMG]
    You don't have to hack up your front crossmember, or weld anything to the frame. These home made front engine mounts are just like the original `32 and will bolt right onto the threaded holes in the front of your `40 type engine.
    These were modified enough to clear the water pumps belt. The pulleys clear the stock `32 front crossmember fine.
    Drake now sells forged steel replicas of the original `32 front engine mounts that can be ground away enough for belt clearance. This photo is of a 59a ( `46-`48) engine, but your `40 type would be the same, except I think you only have the one pulley nearest to the engine. I used a `39 type trans with a `32 rear mount, bolted up to the stock center "K" member.

bct likes this.
  13. Thank you very much for the pics and description. What year are the pumps from ? Excuse my ignorance and just getting into the flat head world so have lots of questions.

14. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

Just the normal pumps, listed for all '37-48 passenger. Picture below is of the Tardel A-28 equivalents...the original A28's also had vertical holes in the platform for a couple of bolts through top of rail. Location is of course dictated by the infrastructure, bolt engine/trans to the crossmember and U-joint and put the A-28 mounts where needed. original mounts should just work without further thought, as all is the same on all flatheads there. A few later flatheads lack one or two of the bolt holes for original mounts, but all (so far, in my experience!) have at least 2 so you bolt them on and drll&tap through the holes in mounts.
    [​IMG]

Elevation setting is done so original hand crank holes and bearing align with center of crankshaft at front. Stock mounts would use the rubber listed as '32-7, Hurst mounts use the '37-48 flavor.

15. alchemy

alchemy

If using original Ford front elevation, those Tardel mounts pictured above would NOT mount to the underside of the top flange. They would need to be lower in the frame. The '38-'48 water pump leg should sit just below the top surface of the frame. Don't forget the big ol' donut mount that fits in between.

16. hb32, give Terry Stenburg a call at250-743-2814. I think he has a pair of original 32 front mounts. He's in Cobble Hill and has a ton of old Ford stuff.

17. Will do and bought a transmission off him at the Abbotsford swap meet.