Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Do you think a mapp torch will work?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Bruce Fischer, Jul 22, 2015.

1. 2OLD2FAST

2OLD2FAST
    from illinois

I can't understand why someone trying to work on old rusty stuff doesn't have an oxy-acetylene torch , I've had 1 for 1/2 century, you can get a brand new rig for $150-$250. You'd have been done w/ that manifold by now
    dave

2. Bobss396, ok your right $120 plus studs .Just wanted to make sure.Thanks Bruce.

3. furyfan

furyfan
    from MA

Bruce,
    You are not the first guy to have had this problem. I remember in the garage back in the '70's, several of the GM cars had those bolts that threaded into the manifolds to hold the collars and doughnut gaskets on. The problem was that with time the bolts would rust thin in between the flange and the collar making it weak. We would have to heat them up to a cherry red and pray that it didn't snap. More that once a car owner would come in with both sides busted off. I seem to recall that there was a small clamp repair device that people sometimes bought that could be substituted to clamp the collars together thus eliminating the need to drill out the broken bolts. Best of luck to you.
    John

4. luckythirteenagogo

luckythirteenagogo
    from Selma, NC

I've had success with welding a nut onto the broken stud, then when it's still hot, pour ice water over it. You should be able to turn it out with a socket on the nut. If it's really stuck and the nut breaks off, you may have to try it a few times. Best of luck.

5. Well, I got the exhaust manifold back with the new studs and put it back on the olds wagon with new exhaust gaskets and fired her up. Man she sounds sweet.{she was real loud with the leaking gaskets when I bought her} Now for the slow leaking master cylinder. Thanks for all the in put and help.Thanks.Bruce.

6. stimpy

stimpy

$120 ouch . but being in the area you are you have to pay the piper or ship it out . being in the city does has it advantages and its disadvantages ( mostly disadvantages ) ... if the manifold is removed I used to do it for $25 plus materials . takes about a hour and you have to have a small tip O/A torch to burn the steel out ( we use a henrob as its pinpoint )

7. luckythirteenagogo

luckythirteenagogo
    from Selma, NC

I'm glad to hear you got the work done, and everything is running good. It sucks you had to pay a premium to get it done, but sometimes it's just easier to pay the price and be done with it.