Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 1961 Impala drop top B/B found in (pole) barn

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by LowKat, Jun 13, 2015.

1. Outstanding, looking forward to seeing this sorted out and on the road

2. d2_willys

d2_willys
    from Kansas

Nice pics, but the first one of the steering wheel reveals that this car has a TURBOGLIDE transmission. (PRNDGr) I can barely see the G, but that would prove the TURBOGLIDE is either intact, or someone changed it out to a Powerglide or something newer. Let us in on the secret!

3. enloe

enloe
    from east , tn.

[​IMG]

man I would love to have some stuff off of the 4 door post

4. WillyNilly

WillyNilly
    from NorCal

I've always had a soft spot for '61 Impalas since my dad's first new car was a '61 Nomad he ordered with the 283 v8, Turboglide and dual exhaust. I have the original order sheet, a couple of tail lens, the add on wide view mirror, napkin holder and an owner's manual. Would like to get a bubble top some day.

5. d2_willys

d2_willys
    from Kansas

Sounds very familiar. My dad bought a new 59 Chevy Parkwood, with 283 2bbl, single exhaust and TURBOGLIDE. He claimed that Popular Science recommended the 283 and Turboglide, so he bought one. Funny how the torque converter went bad at 10000 miles. They changed it under warranty, and it was good after that. Turboglide was a good idea, but a bad implementation. Sure they were maintenance free compared to Powerglide, but they needed a huge engine with good low end torque to work correctly. The 283 just didn't have the torque to allow the turboglide to function at it's best. When I inherited the car I first did a valve job, then replaced the Turboglide with a 3 speed manual, with a floor shift. What a big difference with the stick!

6. Gman0046

Gman0046

They didn't call it Terrible Glide for nothing. Many of those boat anchors were replaced by Chevy Dealers with Powerglides.

Gary

7. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

That is going to be a nice one (it's already a lot nicer than what a lot of guys start with).
    I've used that Purple Power cleaner to clean engine compartments and chassis parts but never considered it for a dirty interior.

My neighbor from a few miles up the road hit it right on that originally being a Chelan county plate. If both of them are that good they might be real attractive to someone in Chelan County with a car the year model as the sticker.

We had a few 61 Chevs in the family over the years as my grandparents had a Parkwood wagon the same color as the convert and my mother had a 4 door sedan and I had a four door hardtop for a while. That year model has always been one of my favorites.

8. Gman0046

Gman0046

Can't get over what Purple Power accomplished. In the mail today got a coupon from NAPA 58% of Purple Power or $1.99 a bottle. Going to get some.

Gary

9. Jimmy2car

Jimmy2car
    from No. Cal

Lowkat
    You certainly bought that car at a good price. Also, you've got a great job being involved with all the great cars and the talent to restore/preserve them. I'm really envious, and I know the convert will turn out great.
    Best
    Jim

LowKat likes this.
  10. WillyNilly

WillyNilly
    from NorCal

This was at the Willys Open house a week ago.

[​IMG]

kiwijeff and LowKat like this.
  11. WillyNilly

WillyNilly
    from NorCal

+1, our wagon had it replaced twice in the time we had it. I think we let the car go in 1976.

12. The car does have the original TerribleGlide still in it. There's fluid on the dipstick and it smells fine. From what I understand those transmissions got a bad rap because they did have problems early on. Supposedly improved upon over the years. Some people I've talked to that actually have driven one, seemed to like them. I hope the trans is still good because "original is original". The previous owner said it's a good working trans and he's a square shooter. If it's bad, I have a back-up plan.

Borg Warner T-10 four speed. If I remember correct, this came out of a 64-65 Impala. I also have a Muncie M-21 but the tall first gear probably wouldn't work well in this tuna boat that's running highway gears. Already have a bench seat Hurst shifter and the other stuff needed to make the conversion other than a set of pedals, pedal rods, z-bar and a correct steering column.

DSC07929 SMALL.JPG

Haven't done much because of my work schedule but did get the junkyard air cleaner cleaned up and painted. I feel lucky to have found it. It's also pretty cool that I know the guy who owned the '60 Pontiac it came off of, his name was Dave Spears. Known around here as "Captain Hook". Had both of his hands blown off in Vietnam but ran a very successful towing business. He passed away a short time ago. The junkyard guy bought 4 cars from Dave's widow about a week before I bought the air cleaner. Thanks Dave Spears, I have something to remember you by.

DSC08098 SMALL.JPG

Here's a couple of Dave Spears cars that have been passed to his gearhead son.
    1948 Chevy Dave\'s 1.JPG

2010 Beaches 02.jpg

I have another concours show coming up Aug 2nd. Luckily this car doesn't need much preparation.
    '41 Chev Cabriolet. This is the flagship car for www.Chevsofthe40s.com.

DSC07376 small.JPG

Last edited: Jul 21, 2015
    T-roaster, Eljorger, kiwijeff and 3 others like this.
  13. d2_willys

d2_willys
    from Kansas

The Turboglide was suppose to perform much better with the 348 engine than with the 283 due to the huge low end torque of the 348. So you might like the transmission. I know my 58 Buick Roadmaster with Flight Pitch (Buick's version of Turboglide) is pretty peppy, as the 364 engine @ 300 hp is pretty torquee!
    Good luck getting the 61 into shape!

14. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

IIRC the Muncie replaced the T-10 mid to late 1963.

15. racer_dave

racer_dave

Purple Power is the greatest stuff ever. I get it in 5gal jugs. We use it for car parts, laundry stains, cleaning horse tack, spots on carpet.

Love the car, glad you got it. I think the price was fine.

16. BRAINS!

BRAINS!

Very nice complete project, well done

17. Figured out it's a T10D-1 wide ratio (single ring on input shaft) from a '63 passenger car with an 8/62 date. Originally installed behind a 327 or 409 engine. Not a good date match but a good match to the engine and rear gears, if I have to use it.

Last edited: Jul 24, 2015
  18. A photo Mrs Lowkat made me pose for the day I brought it home.

0 1961 Impala and me 1 SMALL.JPG

19. I really appreciate the offer. I think I might have some around here... Now if I can just remember where. If I don't find them I'd take you up on the offer. Thanks again.

20. I wet sanded the primer from one side of the Impala, then did some rattle-can color matching. Still need to buff it out in a few days.

BEFORE
    DSC07617a 50 SMALL.JPG

AFTER
    DSC08025 50 SMALL.JPG

I did polish the trunk and above the beltline where I didn't paint. DSC08040 50 SMALL.JPG

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 4, 2017
    slv63, T-roaster, kiwijeff and 3 others like this.
  21. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Omg (did I just say that).

22. oldwood

oldwood
    from arkansas

Here is a pic of a '61 Bubble top beside a Real car. The real car is mine!!! lol Do you notice the similarities in these 2 cars!!!

Attached Files:

• 030.JPG
      030.JPG
      File size:
      224.7 KB
      Views:
    • 031.JPG
      031.JPG
      File size:
      246.7 KB
      Views:
  23. Deuced Up!

Deuced Up!
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Lets stick to photos of just car, shall we! LOL! Just kidding, what a great project!

24. Way to go LowKat. That was a great find and it looks like it's a great start on a great car. I love the early Impala's and the 62 bubble tops. Keep us up to date on its progress.

25. Still working too many hours to get much done at home. I did get the core support cleaned up and some of the front end stuff back on. Polished on the hood but really the paint is shot.

Stopped at parts store on the way home and ordered a carb kit which will be here tomorrow. The carb had the aluminum ID tag and is original. Next job, install new gas tank and get new fuel lines.

DSC08106 SMALL.JPG

DSC08109 SMALL.JPG

Last edited: Aug 10, 2015
  26. Outstanding paint work! Great to work on such a solid car, no doubt.

27. 40fordtudor

40fordtudor

I remember that the 'terrible glide' (Turboglide) would really launch in GR. Good ol' Grade Retard. Our local dealer lost his ass (GM reimbursed) repairing those things.....then GM did switch to Powerglides.

28. d2_willys

d2_willys
    from Kansas

You could only go about 8mph in GR. It wasn't meant to be a low gear, just a way of compression braking going down hill. GR did work well for the braking (and push starting). One of the biggest problems with this transmission was there was no way of getting the transmission back to the 2nd turbine phase for acceleration. If they had done that, it might have been around longer.

29. hotrod1948

hotrod1948
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Milton, WI

That car is begging for a 4 speed!!!!

lawman likes this.
  30. If the original trans is tits up, car will probably get the T-10 no matter what the Impala guys are telling me. Already located a complete correct pedal setup. Would still need a steering column but could get by with the current one for now.

Need to sell projects to fund this one. Someone at work is working on a wholesale parts list for me. I work for https://www.chevsofthe40s.com/ so have a good selection of suppliers. I want a complete new interior. The convertibles came with all vinyl seats but I'd rather have the hardtop style fabric inserts so your backside doesn't fry on top-down days.

Dropped a car from work at the convertible top guy for a new top so got to talk to him. He told me no more than $600 to install my new top including sewing up the back window that needs fitted and installing the well liner. I'd be supplying the top, top pads, plastic window material, well liner and brass zipper. Sounds like an OK deal to me.

Carburetor kit got here, gonna try and get this thing running again this weekend. It has no spark but cranks good. Probably crusty points in there.

Last edited: Aug 6, 2015