Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 60's McCulloch "Show" Kart, my daughters 1st build

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by '51Plymouth, Jul 18, 2015.

1. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

Cool that the two of you being able to work on this project - teaching her shop safety should be a priority - respirator only part of needed protection for spray painting, especially for a child - know that you say that this is a show cart but, hope that you have plans to fully cover the drive chain more than one kid has had hair torn out, fingers crushed, etc.

2. Stu Padasso

Stu Padasso

Have you considered finding a period correct McCulloch kart motor instead of that Briggs? McCulloch (along with West Bend) was the leading manufacturer of kart motors in the early 60's, and the McCulloch karts was kind of a sideline for them. An appropriate (small horsepower) motor for your daughter's kart would be a Mac 49. They are readily available on the vintage kart websites, have a pull starter, and will run circles around that Briggs. I hope you invest in a quality helmet for her, and don't run it on public roads.

3. '51Plymouth

'51Plymouth
    from York, PA

Questions answered for the safety weenies(wink):
    She wears respirator and ears any time compressor or power tools are running. When I can find eye pro that doesn't fall off her face I'll buy 100 sets. As for now, she doesn't get to do anything "fling-ey", and I guinea pig anything that she does get to do first (making sure paint gun isn't going to pop on her, for instance).
    Flip-flops are only on light days with no fab.
    Chain guard is absolutely happening.
    She has a helmet, no public roads. I have 2 1/4 acres of flat treeless yard.
    I could spend hundreds of dollars on a period correct McCulloch. The briggs came out of my stash, and is free. And if I really cared about period correct I wouldn't have sprayed it pepto pink anyway.

4. low budget

low budget
    from Central Ky

Thumbs up to the little gal, I also do my best work in flip flops it seems, If only they would come out with steel toed ones:D

5. cool kart
    get her into racing too
    tom