Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Newbie in need of help after new coil springs 1958 Chevy delray

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by Rob Baldwin, Jun 29, 2015.

1. Rob Baldwin

Rob Baldwin

Hi All

I have just replaced the rear lowering springs on my 1958 chevy delray 6 pot 235, and its now sitting on the wonk, the passenger side is a good 1-2inch higher than the other side, I have measured the bottom of the shocks and there is 20mm difference, could it be the shocks causing the problem (as I have not replaced with new ones) or could it be something more serious.
    The axle did seem a bit off centre to start with, ie gap between the arches and rear tyres was different either side.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Cheers

Rob

2. Get under there and beat around on things until you are sure that the springs both seated properly.

Remove the shocks and set it down and check your measurements again, perhaps you got a shock that is sticking.

3. Rob Baldwin

Rob Baldwin

thanks for the quick response, I will try that out tomorrow, do you think it could be anything to do with the upper control arm being bent or maybe the bushes?

Heres some pics but doesnt really show, I will add more pics tomorrow.

Attached Files:

4. Well bent control arms are certainly a problem. Anything could hang up and screw you up I suppose.

5. hacknwhack

hacknwhack
    from mass

Was it "wonked" before you changed the coils?
    If not try swaping left and right to see if it "wonks" the other way.

6. Chavezk21

Chavezk21

FB_IMG_1437275224311.jpg Check where lower control arms mount to the frame. The 58 Impala I have been working on has two forward mounting holes. An upper and lower. They should be mounted in both lower or both upper holes. The upper arm is a curved u shaped job that is connected to two upper points in the front and on center point in back. These are pics with everything out. I would post pics in the car but car is about 6 hours away from where I am now.

7. models916

models916

Upper hole is for Station Wagon. On the car you should have no problems using either. It's just geometry for the added load for the wagon. If the springs are the same length when out, then you have the rotational position installed wrong. Upper and lower install into pockets. If the spring has been cut there may be an issue. Make sure both springs are the same length and the coils end the same for both top and bottom.

8. barnsearcher

barnsearcher
    from Ohio

I agree with the spring index but have two additional thoughts, both a shot in the dark.

First always torque your suspension components at ride height. The frame or body mounting bracket tightens against the center tube of the bushings and often they are serrated on the end. The bushing is another part of the suspension. Second the problem may be on the opposite front corner. Push down on the LF and the RR will raise.