Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Three on the tree to floor conversion kit for manual transmission on a 50 Chevy Styleline

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by ReadBeard82, Apr 21, 2015.

1. ReadBeard82

ReadBeard82

Hey guys I've looked at Mr. Gasket and some other places for a three on the tree to floor conversion kit for manual transmission on a 50 Chevy Styleline. And am having no luck. I've called Mr. Gasket and was told they're not making them anymore. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

2. KoolKat-57

KoolKat-57
    from Dublin, OH

Unless your column linkage is giving you grief, I would not change it.
    Back in the day the floor shift conversions for that car were actually pretty lousy.
    Guys broke lots of those trannys trying to throw a shift and missing the gear.
    Don't fix it, if it isn't broken!
    KK

ReadBeard82 likes this.
  3. luckythirteenagogo

luckythirteenagogo
    from Selma, NC

Three on the tree is pretty much considered an anti-theft device in some towns. I'd leave it if it works.

56FordVictoria and ReadBeard82 like this.
  4. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

Years ago, Ansen mfd. an aluminum case for the '55 Chevy V8 transmission, but with an open top. This was fitted with a Chev pickup 3 speed tower and 'cane' shifter.
    I inquired for a friend about an earlier type, for his '49 Chevy.
    Ansen said they had discontinued the earlier one, as the V8 type was popular...

I have to agree with KoolKat-57 about floorshift linkage. That stuff was hokey, saw it break lotsa gears.

ReadBeard82 likes this.

5. ReadBeard82

ReadBeard82

I was looking to convert it because it sometimes get boogered up and jammed. But I will leave it be if that's the right thing to do

6. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

Inspect it carefully, all moving parts. Locate any sloppy bushings, worn shaft ends, etc.
    More easily repairable than most other makes. (i.e., '49-'51 Merc., and most Studes!)
    If not worn excessively, just an adjustment of rods (line both neutrals up carefully) and lube all moving parts.
    Close inspection will sometimes reveal a simple loose bolt, worn bushing, etc.

belair and ReadBeard82 like this.
  7. jcmarz

jcmarz
    from Chino, Ca

Summit and Jegs sell 3 speed floor shifters. Column shifts are cool but are troublesome so it's not a matter of what's the "right thing to do." It's matter of what you will be happy with.

Last edited: Apr 21, 2015
    ReadBeard82 likes this.
  8. 54fierro

54fierro
    from san diego

National chevy assoc has a listing for one. I believe some of the guys have mentioned using it over on chevytalk. Maybe do a search for reviews.
    Here's a link to the page on natl chevy.
    https://www.nationalchevyassoc.com/7105

ReadBeard82 likes this.
  9. ReadBeard82

ReadBeard82

This is all outstanding information! Thank you all!!

10. donsz

donsz

I have a Saginaw 3 speed OD trans in my truck. The following is what Hurst sent me. I used option 1. It worked fine, but subsequently bought another shifter and re-bent to clear the seats better.
    don
    Hurst has two options for you;

HUU-3667271 shifter and HUU-3670010 installation kit. It is listed for a Chevelle but it will work with your transmission and the stick has a big bend for seat clearance.

HUU-5010002 is your second option. It is the Indy SSA shifter for the 3 speed and has a slightly bent stick for the seat.

ReadBeard82 likes this.
  11. Many times years ago I would have to get under the hood and "re adjust the shift linkage when they got crossed up. Just think of it as an exercise in nostalgia.

ReadBeard82 likes this.
  12. I have an unopened Mr. Gasket conversion kit. Where are you located? Shipping could be prohibitive.

ReadBeard82 likes this.
  13. Foxcraft made floor shift conversions too. I have several in the box but don't know what they fit.

ReadBeard82 likes this.
  14. ReadBeard82

ReadBeard82

283john I'm located in Terre Haute Indiana

15. are you serious? That is freaky. I guess shipping won't be a problem. Small world.

16. PM's have been sent. I'm arranging to meet RedBeard and sell him that shifter kit. How many thousands and thousands of members on here and the guy says he lives in my small city!?! It's another HAMB miracle.

slim tempo and ReadBeard82 like this.
  17. ReadBeard82

ReadBeard82

This is rockin!

18. 54fierro

54fierro
    from san diego

I thought that was pretty funny. Even funnier if you guys turn out to be related or something. Haha

slim tempo likes this.
  19. jetcycles

jetcycles

For anyone still reading this, National Chevy Association has been out of stock of their conversion kit for over a year, due to supplier issues, and they don't know if they'll ever have these in stock again.

20. finn

finn

Not much cooler than 3 on the tree.

I would recommend that you fix what you have rether than hack in a floor shifter.

21. 56sedandelivery

56sedandelivery
    Member Emeritus

The Mr. Gasket, NCA, and a few others, all use the same supplier, and the shifters themselves are junk. To anyone seriously wanting a floor shifter, that auction site we all know and love is a good source for a used, but good, Hurst Synchro-Loc and above level shifter. Stay away from the Mystery shifter, and their newer "economy" model shifter. Get the Hurst "tower assembly", fab your own brackets, arms, and levers from pieces also bought off there. I have a no-name shifter that is pretty good quality, and have another NOS Ansen for the 55-65 Muncie 318/319 transmissions used by Chevrolet, GMC, and Pontiac. As far as the 49-54 Chevrolet cars go, just remove the stock shifter mechanism from the firewall side of the column, disassemble, clean, repair any worn spots with welding and re-fitting, re-grease, and re-install. The grease gets hard in them, the rubber grommets get old, hard, and fall apart, and holes/rods become worn; just weld the worn areas and re-fit them. If you're going to go with a floor shifter, it should at least be better than what you have now. I am Butch/56sedandelivery.

22. happy hoppy

happy hoppy

I installed a Foxcraft floor shifter in my 50 chevy and I HATE it. Its clumsily and too tight.
    KoolKat57 is right about busting transmissions. I don't power shift and I am always miss-shifting. I am going back to the column shift and if anyone wants the floor shifter, it will be in the trash can soon.