Register now to get rid of these ads!

Folks Of Interest Hot rod magazine forced subscription

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by birdman1, Jul 11, 2015.

1. Engine man

Engine man
    from Wisconsin

Seems that the days of print media are numbered. Advertisers are seeing that they can sell via internet. Postal rates are rising and the postal service is still operating in the red. Almost everything I get in the mail goes directly into the garbage.

2. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

Like mail from a crazy ex, they get tossed in the trash.

3. flux capacitor

flux capacitor

Ditto. I'm getting rid of literally hundreds of 30 plus year old car mags at swap meet next month, they're heading the way of the vynil record. Flux.

4. birdman1

birdman1

It worries me because what if they turn it into a credit agency as a bad bill? I went to their website but it says not available, making me wonder what is going on? no big deal, just curious if anyone else had this happen. thanks for all the free advice(it is FREE, right)

5. JUST GET THE RODDERS JOURNAL AND ALL WILL BE HAPPY.........GREAT RAG! (life time member)

6. Bakchoy

Bakchoy
    from georgia

Consider yourself lucky if they sent you Hot Rod or Street Rodder. They sent me Motor Trend.

7. I was somewhat irritated when they sent me the HRM mag, but at least it wasn't Motor Trend!
    I thought my subscription to R&C was on its last 3 or 4 copies but I still get the HRM in the mail. I usually find either nothing or maybe one thing in it interesting. The ads are better than the articles in Hot Rod. Takes me maybe a minute or two before I chunk it.

8. remember a few years ago when Hot Rod sent out DVD's unsolicited with a note saying if you want to keep them you have to pay for them , if not send them back?

i kept them...all the letters trying to get payment were ignored . i suggest you do the same. i just checked my credit score...still 820

screw them...wipe your butt with them and send them back

9. flux capacitor

flux capacitor

Yes , that was a pain I told them if if wanted one id ordered it. Got a free self addy envelope & returned it.

10. 26hotrod

26hotrod
    from landis n c

383deuce said it rite. GO OVER TO TRJ AND YOU WANT BE DISAPOINTED...................

11. I don't know what you all have been getting, but here's what I got in the mail from them on Friday...
    CCI13072015.jpg
    No big deal. I was previously a subscriber. They're just soliciting me for business since they have my information on file. No demands from them.

Had to dig this out of the recycling pile... ;)

12. town sedan

town sedan

They sent me Motor Trend also. Made them switch it to HRD. About to let my Hot Rod subscription expire and my Street Rodder will follow a few months after that. I expect to be hearing a lot from the Palm Coast folks in the next while. They sent 3 pieces of mail last week trying to get me to re-up.

Now to find something else to subscribe to, so my post man will continue to have something to read.
    -Dave

13. czuch az

czuch az

They were $6.00. I let them go. Too much drivel and not enough drivin.
    All the high buck and gold chain stuff is fine for the ones who want it, isnt for me..
    I like articles about turning a butter dish into a brake cooler scoop, or a hubcap into an air cleaner.

14. luckythirteenagogo

luckythirteenagogo
    from Selma, NC

I subscribed to Hot Rod and Street Rodder for years, and saved most of them for 'future reference'. A few years ago I found a few big boxes of the mags when cleaning, and started looking at them. Soon I realized I really didn't need instructions on how to build a sbc a hundred different ways, and really wasn't into seeing how many new billet parts I can find for my car. So I loaded them up and gave them to an old veteran guy that works with the Wounded Warrior Project. He was thrilled to get them, and was going to bring them down to the local VA Hospital. He told me that a lot of the guys coming back from the middle east are young and are looking for anything to keep their mind off of their injuries. Now I save anything like that I get for him.

15. There is no such thing as a forced subscription. if you got it and didn't ask for it then that is on them.

I finally stopped getting hot rod this year. I bought a subscription back in the '90s one time and they kept sending it forever. I never renewed it because I wasn't that interested in the magazine as a whole. I think that whomever is at the rudder needs to choose a different tack.

16. Speed Gems

Speed Gems

Maybe not now that they've taken on the engine masters challenge because that's the only thing that saved Popular Hot Rodding years ago. IMO

17. mrspeedyt

mrspeedyt

i now prefer pl-yb-y. for the articles.

18. Maybe I can get my Motor Trend swapped out for Hot Rod Deluxe.....

19. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

not a big market for old car magazines, since most guys have too many anyway. I sometimes get 25 cents each at a swap. or find some group that you can give them to.

flux capacitor likes this.
  20. Depends what vintage you're talking about. 40's-60's can get pretty pricey per issue.
    But you're right, with a few exceptions, I wouldn't spend anything at all on mid/late 70s through current magazines.

21. luckythirteenagogo

luckythirteenagogo
    from Selma, NC

I agree with you on them having little to no value to most guys, that's why I just started donating mine to the injured troops coming home. These things are priceless to some of those guys that are stuck in one place all day with nothing. It's the least I can do in return for what they've done.

flux capacitor likes this.
  22. 51 BIRD

51 BIRD

They all suck. I haven't subscribed to any magazine since Phil Engeldrum stopped publishing.

23. 5window

5window

Vinyl is really coming back. The big time audiophiles all prefer vinyl and at the Country Music Hall of Fame they save their recordings on vinyl. Those little hot rod mags form the 40's and 50's we all covet-somebody threw most of them away as junk-long ago. be careful what you toss.

24. flux capacitor

flux capacitor

I do agree with you, cept I'm gonna give them away so long as the persons interested, the only magazines I'm keeping are ones where some of our old cars were in caption pics snapped at long ago events. The way I see it is I will see they go to somebody that might read them again. I'm getting older & blow through most store bought mag's & just look at the pics, or read the stories, I'm not interested in Late model anything. Since I've been around the stuff day in & out most my entire life "and still love it" I feel that the next quest of knowledge can mostly come from older & wiser folks .....HAMB's. That's why I'm on Here often, it's like being a middle aged Luke Skywalker & all the YODA's of all ages are on speed dial .........best place on the whole web! :D Flux

Last edited: Jul 13, 2015
  25. Gman0046

Gman0046

Not the first time they've done this. They've been pulling the same stuff for years.

26. indyjps

indyjps

If you don't get Hot Rod, how do you guys find out about all the newest kits that are available so you don't have to actually figure out your build. Jeez.