Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical No neopreme rear main seals for the 235 Chevy now

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by junkyardjeff, Jul 11, 2015.

1. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

When I changed it in the 235 that is in my 37 now a few years ago there was no problem getting one but when I ordered a full gasket set for the 235 that will be going in I found it did not have the rubber seal and only the rope seal,so back to the local parts stores including Napa and none to be found so I did find one online so anybody know what is going on and why no neopreme rear main seals from Felpro for the 235.

2. j3harleys

j3harleys

I used BEST GASKET in my 1958 283 and in my Y block. They make seals for most engines that used rope seals. They are the only ones that I know of. They do have them for your 235 although pricey

3. osut362

osut362
    from East Texas
    1. Upholstery

I'm in the middle of a 235 build. If you find a part number from someone beside Fel-pro please post it for us stovebolt guys.

4. j3harleys

j3harleys

Just google BEST GASKET you can see who their dealers are and you can see their products. The 235 depends on the year for the part # . I think the # you want is 4519s . I got mine on EBAY A lot of their dealers sell on there. They have worked well for me I will use them again

5. 52HardTop

52HardTop

I also used the Best Gasket kit when rebuilding my 54 235. I've had no trouble from my rear main seal. I know that's hard to believe but it's true.

6. oldtom69

oldtom69
    from grandin nd

same problem with the 425-500 cadillacs,fel-pro and others have discontinued the neoprene seal and now send out a rope seal!hoarding has started

7. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

I will have to look into Best gaskets on my next engine project,Autozone used to sell them but went back to Felpro and I do not think anyone sells Best gaskets locally now.

8. 52HardTop

52HardTop

9. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

I should have known that parts would be getting harder to find locally for these motors but have been spoiled by the ease of getting them,it seems like all parts stores around here are selling parts from the same manufactures.

10. flux capacitor

flux capacitor

I used best gasket rope , nice piece & worlds above felpro offering. Got it from Carters a Classic truck in Mo. Flux

11. TagMan

TagMan
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The Filling Station ( www.fillingstation.com ) sells a neoprene rear main seal for 1955-1962 Chevy 235cid for $34.50 under their part number G-4519. I'm looking in a 2013 catalog.

12. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

I would have used the rope seal but I do not want to remove the crank to install it,I did remember another parts store I can try for the older parts but they are not open as long as the others and would have to go a few miles. I have about 5 part stores within a mile and a half and a little spoiled but times are changing so I will have to look into other places if I want to buy locally,I do not mind buying at those specialty companies but would rather buy locally to keep our parts stores open but if they are all going to sell the same parts from the same manufactures and not have much options for older parts then I might have to rethink that.

13. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

I thought I had one coming from Amazon but got a email that it was out of stock but did some more looking today and have three on the way,got them for 10.79 each and with shipping all three will be less then what the Filling station wants for just one at 45 dollars.

14. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

That deal is off so time to spend the big bucks at the specialty shops if I ever want to get this motor finished.

15. BnG Engine

BnG Engine

From my Victor Reinz catalog JV737 and the Fel Pro number might be available at O'reilly online that number is BS13363

16. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

I should have one on the way now,two weeks to find a reasonable prices seal is not acceptable and the Best gasket part number is 4519S but could only find one source selling them and they wanted 45 dollars. I got one off ebay for 20.95 with free shipping.

17. OldBuzzard

OldBuzzard

18. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

One arrived in the mail today,I think I am going to stock up on them when I can find them so it wont take me a month to get one again. Even though I do not want to go with a newer motor it might happen if this 235 does not last very long.

19. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

I modified one (Neoprene) for a '70 Buick 350 V8...Refitted it into a 59AB with the removable cast aluminum cap.
    Had some trouble locating these neoprene seals for certain makes/models in the '70s.
    Al Teague found a source for seals alone, but that has dried up.
    I sure liked using a nice fitting seal instead of a soft oil-soaked rope that needed to be pulled around the crank journal with a 'Sneaky Pete'!
    I've even dropped the crank 1/2" by removing main caps...then pulling the rope over without turning the crank...Not good duty! But it can be done.:(

20. squirrel

squirrel

A friend is working on a Buick 455, he uses a Caddy rubber rear seal....he ordered one, it came in rope...so he ordered a couple more from other sources, one was rope, one was rubber. All with the same part number, Fel Pro.

Something funny going on with rear seals.