Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods 32 Ford door lock ?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by xracer40, Jul 8, 2015.

1. xracer40

xracer40

32 key a.jpg 32 key ba.jpg
    My 32 5w only has a door key lock on the passenger side. The drivers door can only be locked from inside the car. The same key works the passenger door lock and the column/ign. lock. It appears to be the original key. Is this how Ford did all 32's and why was there no drivers side door lock?

Last edited: Jul 8, 2015
  2. F&J

F&J

Folklore says some cities had ordinances that you must not enter the car from the road side, and must get in the sidewalk side.

3. That was the way Henry designed them. HRP

40fordtudor likes this.
  4. perrytudor32

perrytudor32
    from uk

cos when you pull up passenger side is kerb side,your safe on the pavement to lock it and don't get smashed too bits by passing cars.

40fordtudor likes this.

5. Lots of old cars that way. Like as has been said it was supposed to keep you from getting hit by a bread truck. Well that and one lock costs less than two.

40fordtudor likes this.
  6. Also back in the day,the gentleman opened the door for the lady. HRP

40fordtudor likes this.
  7. Phtttttt :p that is like so last century. :D

hey Danny did you ever do the deal where you let the lady in and then waited to see if she would reach across to unlock your door?

8. Oh yeah,there have been more than a few mean spirited females in my life. HRP

9. LOL before we got married Mrs beaner and I drug an old car home to fix and peddle. I want to say that it was a Desoto but don't hold me to that. it had the door locks that you just pushed the door handle the opposite way. I had it purring and we had waxed it and went to eat in Portland. I had turned the handles over so you pushed them instead of pulled them to open the door because that was cool. Well I let her in and she promptly reached across and locked me out. Then laughed while she was trying to figure out how to let me in.

Never had the problem with the Merc or the Norton.

10. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

Since door and ignition key match, locks are most likely original. Key is a much later replacement, maybe early 1950's blank ground to fit your locks. I think Ford started using that shield logo about '52--?

11. brady1929

brady1929

I think my 53 ford p/u was that way too.

12. Yep '53 Fords were still that way. Chevy was still doing their trucks that way into the mid '60s.

13. Nobody locked their cars back then anyway.

14. xracer40

xracer40

That makes sense,the door lock takes one full turn to work just like the ign. lock.
    The only other key I got with car says "Auto City Products Company" on the face and around the edge it says "16490 Woodward Avenue Detroit Michigan". I thought it is kinda interesting but I don't know what it was for, I assume possibly a locking gas cap at one time.

15. David Gersic

David Gersic
    from DeKalb, IL

Yep. My dad had a '53 Ford pickup that only had a key on the passenger side.

16. AVater

AVater
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. Connecticut HAMB'ers

That way on the Model A. Hey - how about the 3 door Suburbans up into the 60's?

17. BoxCar Tom

BoxCar Tom

Does that mean that RIGHT hand drive 32 Fords (Think 3W) have the lock on the passenger (left) door?

18. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

I believe that that is correct. Junkyard I go to never seems to get in any RHD three windows, though.

19. Kiwi 4d

Kiwi 4d
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Two NZ new cars our highboy has a lock both sides so I presume the dead stock original 3W has a right side lock also. Though on a little research I found an picture of our 3W in a past life and it does not appear to have a left side lock ( the B&w pic.). I very much doubt the original one has been modified , it's been in the same family since 1938. Our RH drive 37 ford coupe only had a left hand lock( nz new car) it now has a RH lock image.jpg
    image.jpg

20. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

Somewhere I have the catalogs to fully document this, Britiah and Canadian body parts books...
    The Canadians built more RHD '32's than we or the British did, exporting them all over the world.