Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs CFL in trouble light saved me!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by BJR, Jul 3, 2015.

1. stimpy

stimpy

the older LEds were very tight in the light angle but now days you can buy a 180* led which is less directional , and lamp makers are starting to use them . I do like the tight directional LEds in my one drop lamp but it has nut like ends that rotate so you can aim it at what you want and it not move , ( consumer electronics brand which HOme depot used to carry )

Model T1 likes this.
  2. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Ours are the exact same ones, except our regulations are far more lax on them, and most people are either unaware of the danger, or just don't care.

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  3. scrap metal 48

scrap metal 48

LEDs might be fine for home use but look like shit in a hot rod...

Hotrodmyk, Muttley, stimpy and 2 others like this.
  4. Model T1

Model T1

Thanks for the tip. At least you are here to tell us about it! I rarely get under my cars anymore but son has been using LED drop lites and rechargeable LED's for years. Sometimes it takes a kid to teach us old dogs.
    I've broken a miilion incandesant bulbs over the years and burnt body parts as often. Just lucky none broke around fumes of any kind.
    It's great living in the boonies but critters are not much help in an emergency!

5. woodz

woodz
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

A lot of shops have burnt to the ground and a lot of mechanics badly burned from that exact situation. Most guys only use led trouble lamps now, including me. Glad you are not using incandesent bulbs and you are okay and thanks for posting this for others to learn from.

lothiandon1940 and Model T1 like this.
  6. The mercury is no risk unless the bulb gets broken and then it's indirect unless you snort the white powder. Any fluorescent bulb contains it but some less than others.

Model T1 and lothiandon1940 like this.
  7. Model T1

Model T1

I'd rather look like shit and be seen and alive than 100% traditional and dead.
    Keep in mind traditional cars didn't share the road with cell phone users and other retards!:rolleyes:

8. stimpy

stimpy

I use them but just don't tell anyone , if they see my rod at night then thats all I care about . Kind of like when I drove my Semi with all my lights on during the day , many other big rig drivers would call me on the radio and tell me they were on , and I would say back thats the purpose as they saw me coming .

Model T1 likes this.
  9. Hemiman 426

Hemiman 426
    from Tulsa, Ok.

kinda wonder if thats what happened to this corvair we found the other day..

Attached Files:

• 62c2.JPG
      62c2.JPG
      File size:
      178.2 KB
      Views:
    • 62c1.JPG
      62c1.JPG
      File size:
      195.7 KB
      Views:
    Model T1 likes this.
  10. clem

clem

As someone who has suffered extensively from mercury poisoning, I must say that a broken bulb may be more dangerous than most realise.
    A few years back the prime minister of this country tried and for a short time made it compulsory to only use this type of light bulb in everyones' home. That decision has now been reversed.

Last edited: Jul 5, 2015
  11. There's risk in eating an ice cream cone but just take a second and think it out. It's called a risk assessment. You'll prevent a lot of heartache that way.

Model T1 likes this.
  12. Bad Eye Bill

Bad Eye Bill
    from NB Canada

This. I haven't used a corded light in years.

Last edited: Jul 5, 2015
    Hotrodmyk likes this.
  13. scrappybunch

scrappybunch
    from nj

The dealer I worked for had a fire started from a incandescent drop light. Burned down the entire service dept. Was started while a tech was removing a gas tank. The fire was so hot that lifts with cars on them had the arms bend. Tires were exploding along with aerosol cans, and a gas buggy that was filled with 20 gals. Took several hours to get it under control. Fortunately nobody was injured.
    I have used LED flashlights for the past 5 yrs. CFL are not bright enough for these old eyes.

TrailerTrashToo likes this.
  14. drtybiker

drtybiker
    from florida

What do you mean when you say trouble light ? The light under your hood when you opent it that comes on ? A drop light ?

Sent from my GT-P5113 using Tapatalk

15. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

Got one too, highly recommended. Also have an LED penlight that fits in my nose.

16. a lead light (usually plugged into mains power) which you drag around with you when working under and around your car, etc.
    I hope you made a mistake here & meant to write something other than "nose". I just usually hold it in my free hand.
    but each to his own............

Model T1 likes this.
  17. oldsroller

oldsroller
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from PA

Been using nothing but the rechargable LED lights with the magnetic bases, no cords and can put them where I need them, instead of where I can hang them. They are in constant use and batteries stay charged a long time.

18. Well at least that keeps people from wanting to borrow his flashlight... . . .:p

19. Do you ever forget and instead put it in tour mouth?

20. Flourescents all the way for me, still have the Dayton I bought in 1983. I'd like to have a couple of those re-chargeable ones though.

21. Model T1

Model T1

Maybe there should be a law that all ice cream cones can be hazardous like Mickey D's did their coffee cups for stupid little ole ladies. :eek:

22. drtybiker

drtybiker
    from florida

Nasty nasty

23. drtybiker

drtybiker
    from florida

That stupid ole lady I think was not so stupid she had a plan and got paid not how I prefer to get paid but it happens every day , way back when I was young and foolish at the penitentiary I met a guy who went as far as having certain teeth pulled to impair his speech so he would get a bigger settlement in a case against Mc Donalds for biting into a hamburger that had glass in it, it is unreal the extent people go to so they can avoid getting a JOB.....

24. Jet96

Jet96
    from WY

25. belair

belair

Burns suck. Glad you dodged the bullet.

26. Actually that old lady with the coffee was seriously burned. I was taking a heat transfer course at the time and we did a case study complete with the heat-path involved. She was wearing polyester pants which did nothing to absorb the hot coffee.

If you have ever had their coffee, it had to be close or above boiling right after it was served. I had a near-miss with Starbucks coffee a few years back. Ordered a coffee light, which means extra milk in it... this had a trace of milk and the cover was on 1/2-assedly. As it hit my thigh, I thought of the McDonalds lady and the case study we did.

27. You got that right Don,not to mention being a greybeard these old eyes need more light when your under the car. HRP

28. luckythirteenagogo

luckythirteenagogo
    from Selma, NC

All I have are LEDs, but I got them just because I was tired of the old light bulb filaments breaking everytime I bumped them into something. I never thought about the dangers those hot light bulbs could pose. I'm glad you made it out okay.

29. czuch az

czuch az

Thank you.
    I'm glad you came out better than others.
    My loving wife bought me a craftsman LED wand with a light bar and a directional at the end. I love that thing.
    The magnet is just the icing on the cake. Its plenty bright, and that ws why I resisted change.

30. CadMad

CadMad

The worst burn I ever got was from a cup of tea that I bought for a mate at the airport. I spilt it whilst walking back to our table (trying carefully not to spill it) and it scalded my hand. Like a fool I did not seek immediate medical assistance. Got on the plane and had to put it in ice. A week later I was agony. Took months to heal.
    I guess be careful with hot radiators and hotter cups of tea.