Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Filler over Etching primer

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Fortunateson, Jun 29, 2015.

1. Fortunateson

Fortunateson

Will filler (All Metal) bond to Self Etching primer?

2. Dick Stevens

Dick Stevens

Filler can be applied over some epoxy primers, but I wouldn't try it over self etching primers.

3. Fortunateson

Fortunateson

When I say self etching I'm referring to the coating that comes on better quality patch panels. Am I correct.

4. Dick Stevens

Dick Stevens

I don't know what primer is on those patch panels, I'm referring to epoxy primer or self etching primer you spray on yourself so you know what it is.

5. Hot Rods Ta Hell

Hot Rods Ta Hell

If you're referring to E coat (typically the black coating on replacement panels), I would not trust my future paint job over it. I'd strip it, prep the metal then lay down your high quality primer. I've seen it chip, lift and have seen panels with areas of slight surface rust under the coating. I've heard some e coat is now water based.

metlmunchr likes this.
  6. Fortunateson

Fortunateson

Well thanks for all the replies. I just like to get all my ducks in a row before I begin. I was told that the aerosol self etching primer is ok to use but then the question of filler over bare metal or over self etching/ epoxy raises its head with basically two camps, pro and con. Any comments on that issue?

7. Dick Stevens

Dick Stevens

Some epoxy primers can have filler applied over them but absolutely follow the manufacturers instructions just as they say to do it, no shortcuts and you will be OK, I don't know of any self etching primers that you can apply filler over.

8. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Just remember, if you are using self-etching primer, it NEVER goes over ANYTHING but bare metal.

My former boss is repainting several customer cars, at tremendous expense, because he did not heed this warning.

9. thirtytwo

thirtytwo

In the past I have scuffed and shot paint over e-coat in genuine GM pannels and thats the way the local dealer was doing it also...but I had heard the same thing you just mentioned recently and I stripped all the e-coat off some Chinese bedsides to find some rust under it in a couple spots sooo if Chinese ... Defiantly strip it.. Better safe than sorry

10. do your mud work over a good epoxy primer....another thing....never apply seam sealer over etch primer...etch has what in it??? Acid..... Acid eats away at things...like seam sealer...etch primer became abused when they put in in aerosol cans....always go with a solid 2K primer

11. All metal should be used right on the bare metal. The strength of adhesion is only as good as the layer underneath right?

12. Fortunateson

Fortunateson

More good advice. What I'm getting is self etching primer has a very limited use, why bother using it at all except for bare metal that will go straight to colour. Thanks everyone.

13. chopolds

chopolds
    from howell, nj
    1. Kustom Painters

Yeah, that's pretty much all I use it for. Use epoxy for just about everything else.

14. "What you are looking at is really what is underneath" Body shop tech teacher in college

15. overspray

overspray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER