Register now to get rid of these ads!

Folks Of Interest Hoarders (picture heavy)

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by willowbilly3, Jun 17, 2015.

1. Model T1

Model T1

These stories never stop! Thanks. Like written you were lucky to get in and be able to look around and take pictures.
    Comments like some of these here turn the owners off. There are some amazing cars there. And I'd bet much of that crap piled up are new parts delivered by people like you.
    I find the Xena collection facinating and odd. As many comments about that room as the rest of the collection! But an old bachelor's gotta have fun now and then. Like another member, my wife is my Xena doll and sometimes dresses that way. Yes, I'm a mini hoarder and a pervert too. Only I sometimes take a bath, mow my lawn, and I'm still working on my first million.
    What's nagging at me is the simple fact that when neighbors or government complain, or when those geezers die, everything may end up going to the crusher. It ain't ours. We shouldn't care. But what a possible waste!

bowie likes this.
  2. traffic61

traffic61
    from Owasso, OK

I can just see the guys from "American Pickers" going there. "Wait, you guys have a Xena room?!?!?!?"
    "Xena stuff is really popular right now!"

Model T1 likes this.
  3. Bearing Burner

Bearing Burner
    from W. MA

Man who dies with the most toys wins.

aplaceinmyheart likes this.
  4. aplaceinmyheart

aplaceinmyheart
    from NJ

I'm also curious, what did you deliver? :D

5. Chrisbcritter

Chrisbcritter

That grille looks familiar... what is it?

bct likes this.
  6. Heard that, but makes no sense. Yer still DEAD!!!
    And, what, exactly, do you win?? How would you use it?? And, finally, remember, yer DEAD!!

Cosmo

Model T1 likes this.
  7. 56premiere

56premiere
    from oregon

I bet there has been a few happy endings on that farm

8. 19Fordy

19Fordy

From rust to eventually dust. Pretty sad.

9. Chrisbcritter

Chrisbcritter

That was Lee Roy Hartung's collection in Glenview, IL. At least he had the sense to have kept most of it inside a building. (There is now a large Hindu temple going up on the property... wonder if ol' Lee will haunt it?:eek:)

wingnutz and Model T1 like this.
  10. fuzzface

fuzzface

thanks Chris, that was the name that escaped me. I thought about going to his auction but my buildings are all full too. :)

Aplace, i'll bet you that he delivered a 31AA and a 35 Tudor shell. Apparently you missed his post a few posts above yours saying what he delivered.

11. willowbilly3

willowbilly3
    Member Emeritus
    from Sturgis

A 31 AA truck and a shell of a 35 tudor

12. Hell, I'll sponge both of the old guys if they let me pick a few cars to take home..... Wait never mind. That's really creepy!

Model T1 and blowby like this.
  13. Dak Rat

Dak Rat
    from NoDak

These two "gentlemen" are well known around the area they live in (North Dakota--sorry to say) they attend every flea-market, garage sale, and estate sale and buy everything and anything. The purchase is taken back to the farm and simply stacked on top of the other million things they have squirreled away there. I've seen them in action for years but was un-aware of the vehicles that they have sitting on the place. A friend was on the farm this spring and said there are some real decent cars in some of the buildings but as stated in the original post, you can't get close enough to look at them because of all the junk.

Model T1 likes this.
  14. My grandfather is the same way, on his farm there are cars and trucks as well as tractors from the 30's to the late 60's, as well as parts still in original boxes and cosmolene. He won't sell anything, so it sits and rusts.

Model T1 likes this.
  15. It's a 1930 Oakland.

bct and Chrisbcritter like this.
  16. ChefMike

ChefMike

Someday they will die and there family will hopefully do the right thing and sell all ! what a job they will be leaving behind. glad there saving the rides but come on !!!

17. I love it. I wish I could do that. Just keep buying and buying till yer hearts content. :)

Model T1 likes this.
  18. Not yet rated

Not yet rated

Yep. Dealing with hoarders when trying to source hard to find parts can be troubling. Found a guy in Southern California with several steel warehouses stacked floor to ceiling with nos automobile suspension parts. And things squirreled into the aisles like a pickup truck bed of nuts and bolts so you couldn't get to anything if you wanted to try. He used sell to kanter auto parts until he claimed they were dragging their tails paying him. Then he became less friendly to all who knew about his stash and quit selling anything. Gritty looking fella, into tractors and stuff, weeds four feet high on his property to conceal his stuff from prying eyes, wife and kids nowhere to be seen. You get the picture. I remember back when dealing with this guy how from a psychiatric perspective how interesting this all was and thought he'd be a great character to use in a horror story of some kind. Too spooky for my temperament, so I never contacted him again.
    For those of you who keep worrying about death and leaving everything behind for heirs to sort thru, perhaps there's a way around this. Maybe if you "arrive" when you got your Janis Joplin or some other counter culture type doing "intakes" that day, they can perhaps be persuaded to look the other way while you haul your more treasured articles up that final ramp. In the case of Janis, maybe a killer size bottle of southern comfort will do the trick. Ludicrous yes, but worth a try. Hah!

19. Gary Addcox

Gary Addcox
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Well, after that remark, don't expect to be in the will.

GreenMonster48 likes this.
  20. porsche930dude

porsche930dude

This is why I find it so hard to sell stuff. The fear of it being bought by people like this that use it once and let it rot. No future owner is going to fully appreciate how much work you put into restoring something no matter how much they pay for it.

21. I think I'm finally cured of hoarding projects. I sold off my last project [with the exception of my 34 ford coupe] that I had stashed. There was a time I had my garage full, both my storage garages and a few friend's garages and back yards.
    I just helped the new owner load my old 57 Lloyd onto his trailer this afternoon....I lost money on it [like I always do] but its' no longer a distraction from progress on my 34 five window. I'M FREE AT LAST!!!!

wraymen and bct like this.
  22. TomH

TomH

I was at that place this spring. If they would move all the shit they have stacked along side of the cars they could get a lot more of the cars inside. They don’t bathe but yet are clean shaven??

23. millersgarage

millersgarage

I am wondering why they would let anyone photo the stuff they have if there is no intention of ever selling it?
    hmm
    also, all the "when they die" comments are sickening. Remember that they are bachelors, there will be no family to handle this type of estate, it will surely all be wasted.

24. henryj1951

henryj1951
    from USA

i have a few that i will DIE owning....
    some i'd let go ... heres the fun part, if i get visitation rights to see the bild progress...id sell, if not well then i'll die owning them too:cool:

25. Pinstriper40

Pinstriper40
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Just another reminder that he who dies with the most stuff... still dies.

GreenMonster48 likes this.
  26. The Brown Sound

The Brown Sound
    from Maryland

If there's even anything left besides chunks of rust littering the yard. Such a waste.

27. millersgarage

millersgarage

this stuff was all for sale once, as proven by the OP delivering more to them. You missed out, they bought them.

wraymen likes this.
  28. willowbilly3

willowbilly3
    Member Emeritus
    from Sturgis

I could maybe put you on them but it's a good 6 hours from here and I probably won't have time. I might be out of town. Lots of us bug out during the rally.

Malcolm likes this.
  29. willowbilly3

willowbilly3
    Member Emeritus
    from Sturgis

Also I think it might be possible to buy. One of them did tell me they wanted to sell the 37 Packard hearse for 30g. It's just that you don't stroll in there like it's Malwart and pick or choose what you want. I only tried to buy one thing and they sold it to me. It was a 50s toy truck with a cannon.