Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Dumpster diving at an old ford dealership. What do I have?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by flatheadfever, Jun 14, 2015.

1. Model T1

Model T1

This happens all the time and most people never know about it. It's like when an old hoarder car guy dies and the family calls a crew in to clean the house and garage out.
    When it comes to dealerships and shops all they want to do is get the stuff out of there fast.

2. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

I have a friend who is like that. can't be bothered to sell things or even give them away most of the time. he does give stuff to me from time to time because he knows I am a scrounge.

3. Kan Kustom

Kan Kustom

I have spent a lot on those very things.

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  4. Kan Kustom

Kan Kustom

Glad you saved what you could. The stupidity of some people that never check a little before destroying things makes me sick . A buddy of mine was at an auction and saw an old orange Harley Davison parts box in a cardboard flat full of odds and ends. He bought the flat for me because he knew I liked the stuff. The woman asked him what interested him in the box enough to buy it . When he told her she busted out in tears and said she threw away a ton of the old Harley stuff when she was getting ready for the auction. She said her dad was into this stuff and always thought he was a little off because of it, kinda embarrassed her and had no clue anyone else would want it.

Model T1 and lothiandon1940 like this.
  5. I have to go back tomorrow and check on the manuals. I need to look for the rest of the watervliet planishing hammer and climb back in the dumpster for more tools!

6. Dumpster diving in a gold mine. Man good for you. I'm jealous. :)

7. "It like the saying If you have to ask you would not understand. I think that applies to all the stuff that was there."
    Fortunately, WE understand!

8. If I can not find the frame for the watervliet I hope somebody can give me the dimensions to build one. The critical measurement should be the distance from the lower die and the head.

9. Hackerbilt

Hackerbilt

Man...that is an awesome score you made!
    A friend of mine got some stuff when a local Mopar dealer was clearing out and selling the old premises. One of the things he scored was a spanking new Detroit Locker for an 8 3/4 rearend. Sold it to one of the local Mopar guys for a pretty penny! Lots of other stuff went but I never got to see the old stock room.
    Was told another guy scored some serious muscle car body panels like quarters and door skins for a rediculously low price.
    You're likely better off not to know what was there that you missed! :D :D

stillrunners and lothiandon1940 like this.
  10. great save....done my share of dumpster diving......always hear about a day late also -but thankful for what I can save.....

11. Nothing much with the manuals, post 1980. Got a a couple odd ball ones, cortina manual to go with the 8 nos cortina radiator caps that was in one box.lol

12. Halfdozen

Halfdozen
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Check this out. From Lazze's YouTube channel, ingenious fender holding arrangement:

13. mr.chevrolet

mr.chevrolet

a quick story about dumpster diving and being a day late. Yenko Chevrolet was moving to a new building on a major highway, I went to scrounge and was told by a friend that worked there " you shoulda been here yesterday, the dumpster was full of all that Yenko Supercar stuff". yeah, the dumpster had already been hauled away.

14. Bam.inc

Bam.inc
    from KS

Gotta love a good Dumpster Dive! If only you could have an "inside man" at the scrapper to find & pick out the occasional treasures.

15. deucetruck

deucetruck
    from Missouri

Good score. Why we have to throw everything away in this country is just beyond me.

16. srs1

srs1

those heavy curved body dollies bring $50.00 plus on ebay

17. Pete L.

Pete L.
    from New Jersey

Fellas,
    The real sad part is that lots of folks today don't even know HOW TO USE half of those tools you found !!!

18. G-son

G-son
    from Sweden

Very nice find!

Well... It's more sad that most of them don't know what to do with half the tools in a ordinary toolbox. I can live with that people don't understand special tools from a time long before they were born. (They don't want stuff they don't understand, so that makes it easier for me to buy it cheap. ;) )

19. Fedcospeed

Fedcospeed

I see dollar bills$$$$$$. Anything that cant be used or sold to me then are artwork parts.Nothing is junk unless its broke in half or just destroyed. That is a KILLER FIND sir!!!

20. Me included!
    But I'm will to learn.
    The planishing hammer Watervlein is super cool but I need a the big C handle part. I went back for a second look but found nothing.

21. I grabbed 10 or so manuals 48-64 trucks, ford cortina, 1960 taunus german and some general mechanic books for 84, 86 and such. There was a close to hundred late model stuff no mustangs.

22. [​IMG] Was the 9" rear in the dumpster too?

23. No not the 9" but 2 9" empty housings and a complete 8" centre

24. Dick Stevens

Dick Stevens

And all this was left after others picked it over first and left this after taking what they wanted? Sure would love to see what the first guy got. :cool:

25. -probably a busted calculator, a Coke sign and some girly mags- I love it when people take the "good stuff" (crap), and leave the "old rusty stuff". Me like "old rusty stuff"!

26. I had last pick and I got most of Watervleit planishing hammer and a Porter Fergurson dollies. I took a young kid with me and he got 4 used MT drag slicks an undercoating gun and some other odds and ends. image.jpg image.jpg

27. CGkidd

CGkidd

I would be interested in the armature lathe

28. All the tools went in an earlier dumpster. They had a mustang and bobcat station wagon drag car at one time. I think that stuff was picked before the dumpster

29. I probably won't use it. It's a long way to ship. It not light.

30. I need on info on how to use these image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg