Register now to get rid of these ads!

1949-1951 Lincoln and Mercury Quarter Panels

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Garage Concepts, Oct 25, 2007.

1. Garage Concepts

Garage Concepts

O.K I’m shaving away on all the metal work on my (1949 Lincoln 2dr) car. Side Moldings, Trim,Gas Door, Handles and I really need this question answered to the best knowledge possible. On and between 1949-1951 Lincoln and Mercury body styles have many similarities. I’ve seen many mercury cars with the rear quarter panels as one piece. Are they custom welded together or did they manufacture them that way back in the day.

If there custom welded, what’s the best way to approach these panels and keeping the bodyline round as much as possible, small tacks, low welding heat ECT?

Thanks In Advance…

Attached Files:

2. old beet

old beet

1/4 panels are bolted on stock. Want to sell them door handles?? P M me! OLDBEET

3. slddnmatt

slddnmatt

you have to weld them up slowly and grind them down slowly to get a nice seam, and not to warp the panel. make sure you line your panels up BEFORE you weld!

Attached Files:

4. Garage Concepts

Garage Concepts

Is there a trick to make them line up right? How long did it take to weld them up?

5. slddnmatt

slddnmatt

you want to make sure they line up nice to your door, so make sure your door is nice and lined up and you can loosen your rear 1/4 and move it in and out. when everything lines up nice you can start welding. i usually try to run my welder on the second setting to get the weld to melt in to the gap and have minimal grinding to do, but you always have to. its kinda time consuming i dont remember how long it took me the last time i did it, i always try to grind a crisp line in it so that takes some patience, just take your time and dont rush or the 1/4 panel will create more work for you

6. ginafrank

ginafrank
    from California

slddnmatt,

Thats is s sweeeettt Ride....did you do the body work yourself.??? IT looks real good. I'm working with 51' merc at this moment. I just got started. IT's a piece of junk now. It' s all rusty inside and is missing floor. I'm gonna start making some rockerpanels today.
    WHere can i check out more pic of your car.?? that white one??

7. ettenod

ettenod

Matt were can I get inside door and window handles 4 door 51 Lincoln I don't know if Mercury is the same, I'm hoping someone changed to power and don't need theirs.
    Thanks for any help you might give me.