Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects spindle mount 12 spoke for drivers or just show and drag???

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by rlm2011, Jun 13, 2015.

1. rlm2011

rlm2011
    from Sumner Wa

image.jpg I'm planning and collecting parts for a new front axle set up and I'd really like to hear from the 12 spoke owners.
    I'm completely in love with the drag strip/show 60's era hot rods!! So that's the direction I'm shooting for, but I need to know if these 18x3 spindle mount 12 spoke wheels and disc brake set up is completely none drivable. Now keep in mind my lil T is no daily driver, but I like to take it to work on occasion or a show or two maybe a show outta town.
    Thanks, and would appreciate any and all advice.

A picture I found on line

Last edited: Jun 13, 2015
  2. The are fine for street use,I suggest you get the type that you can have disc brakes and not the spindle mount. HRP

This is fellow member Barry's deuce roadster.

[​IMG]

3. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Yes brakes.

Anyone who suggests otherwise is absolutely nuts.

4. rlm2011

rlm2011
    from Sumner Wa

Well my understanding is the 18x3 spindle mount also comes with a disc brake mounting surface

5. I hadn't seen these Radir wheels... I like these. And they are available so they can be fitted with brakes, so no issues there. The downside is you'll be running motorcycle tires so pay attention to tire load as most tires in the sizes that will fit are only good for about 600 lbs each at 40 psi. You also won't have much of a tire contact patch, so don't expect great cornering. And get used to replacing tires often, as motorcycle tires don't last; if you get over 5K miles on a pair, I'll be surprised....

Those ten-spoke 'bolt-on' wheels just don't look right.... I know they're popular, but they look 'fake'...

6. When planning my sedan, I considered those Radir spindle mounts and discussed them with the Radir sales rep. Weight capacity wasn't limited by those wheels, but it *was* limited by the motorcycle tires typically used. I think 800 lb/tire was the max load.

SBC-powered T-bucket (or the A coupe in the picture you posted): Sure, no problem. :)
    Blown early Hemi in a '50's sedan: Probably not. :eek:

Last edited: Jun 13, 2015
  7. Mike VV

Mike VV
    from SoCal

Agree with Just -
    Also, don't pretend it's a road racer either... Unlike the 15"x4"'s posted above, the 18"x3"'s don't like high corner speeds. Low side load capabilities.

Mike

8. Yeah, no driftin' in the mall parking lot.

9. rlm2011

rlm2011
    from Sumner Wa

image.jpg Hmmm, to be considered... Thanks for the advice!! I'd be running a sbc in a lil T sedan. So weight don't seem to be my big issue. How about turning corners with the skinny tires? It actually sounds like they maybe doable with lil extra caution. Any more advice, opinions, or suggestions would be appreciated..

Last edited: Jun 14, 2015
  10. lippy

lippy
    from Ks

If I were you I'd run the fattest tire I could run on them. Hit a pothole with the skinny tires or a big crack in the road and you'll see what I mean. Kachunk, there went the rim edge. Lippy

11. rlm2011

rlm2011
    from Sumner Wa

Yea and pretty pricey to be replacing!!

12. el Scotto

el Scotto
    from Tracy, CA

I applaud your effort to run real spindle mounts, those Rocket Racing wheels just scream "Hecho en China"....

bowie likes this.
  13. Skinnier front tires will increase your car's tendancy to understeer.
    Translation: It'll tend to keep going straight (aka "plow") in a turn.

If it's *too much* of a problem, the easiest ways to counteract excessive understeer include increased front tire pressure, lower rear tire pressure, softer front springs, or stiffer rear springs. There are other ways too.

14. I would love to run the Radir spindle mounts on my 60s drag coupe. BUT, they would never survive the roads we have in PA. So I have the 15s, with M/T front runner tires.

15. 26 roadster

26 roadster

I had a borrowed set of 12 spokes with no brakes on my T in CA in the mid seventies. 1) run front brakes 2) avoid people pulling away from the curb at all cost 3) save the wheels.
    Wheels were fine but bent the rear axle. No problem running them on the street though...

16. hugh m

hugh m
    from ct.

Did a thread about that, don't know how to do a link, but a search will turn it up....I got American Rebel wheels, made here, not totally authentic when compared to real spindle wheels, but were fine for my not totally authentic application, and made here!

17. tltony

tltony
    from El Cajon

20131210_113546.jpg
    These have been on this roadster for over 20 years. They're mag, font and rear. The fronts were already drilled for rotors and I made some 3/8 thick steel rotors and mounted single spot calipers. Works great.

Lil'Alb and bowie like this.
  18. rlm2011

rlm2011
    from Sumner Wa

Hey thanks guy for ALL the comments and advice!!!!

19. tricky steve

tricky steve
    from fenton,mo.

or, or, or... I'm just saying ... put e'm on there ,and drive like you have a brain.. HA-HA! been driving this one since 1976..
    For Real, been to Vegas,and Daytona (2X) from st. Louis, and I'm still alive !! wow... car has waaaay over 100K miles on it, never had front brakes ! But to be fair, it has a chute.. sooo..... IMG_0313.JPG

Lil'Alb likes this.
  20. tricky steve

tricky steve
    from fenton,mo.

yes ,they do sir.

21. rlm2011

rlm2011
    from Sumner Wa

BAD ASS!!! That's what I wanted to hear!!! THANKS TRICKY STEVE!!!!!!!

22. Crown'd

Crown'd
    from Utah

Were your wires on it the entire 100k? Getting a T-bucket this week, it was started in '67, finished in '72. A similar life to your own, and has Hallcraft wires without brakes. Considering whether to get new aluminum spindle mount fronts, vintage magnesium or just run these wires. Some claim the wires can't hold up, you've got history that can confirm or refute the naysayers.