Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical c4 torque converter

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by jshelley, Jun 13, 2015.

1. jshelley

jshelley

I've been all over the Internet and asking around no one seems to help with my situation. Here's the issue:
    I have a c4 that was given to me by a friend it's case numbers show its a 70 model. m mating it to a 91 302. I bought a 50 oz 157t flex plate. The converter is a 10.5 bolt circle summit racing part number sum-g2707-13. I put it in the transmission it "clicks" 3 times so I know it's in all the way. when I measure the converter mount pads to bellhousing surface I get 3/4 of an inch. The bellhousing is 5.8750 inches deep. The flexplate is 1.1250 inched away from the block spacer plate. when I tried to mate the engine and transmission they would go because the converter hits the flexplate. Any ideas what could be wrong?

2. OldFord39

OldFord39
    from Monroe, Wi

I would put a piece of flat stock across your bell housing and measure to your converter pads record that information then remove your torque converter and the input shaft (it will slide right out) and reinstall your converter, is the dimension the same? The input shaft will have a short spline and a long spline the long spline should go into the converter the short spline into the transmission. I would also check to make sure the spline will go into the converter spline with the converter removed and the input shaft in hand. The following is from Wikipedia ""The early model C4 (1964–1969) used a .788-inch 24-spline input shaft, which was upgraded in 1970 to 26-spline and .839-inch. The upgrade also included a matching clutch hub of 26-spline. In 1971, Ford went to a 26/24-spline input shaft, meaning the torque-converter side is 26-spline and the clutch hub is 24-spline." If the converter depth is not right with the input shaft removed your pump gears could be in backwards allowing the converter to not seat correctly. It is a little hard to see in this picture but there is a leading edge on the inner gear that is recessed to allow the converter to seat properly. if the input shaft and gears are correct the Converter was made with the wrong Stab depth but as far off as your dimensions indicated I would doubt that.

Regards,

Brian
    Pump Gears
    [​IMG]

Input shaft
    [​IMG]

3. jshelley

jshelley

The depth from the bellhousing to mount pads are the same with and without shaft in. The input shaft is the 24/26 shaft. Turned it around and slid the 26 spline side into trans to see if maybe it was suppose to be 26/26 but it didn't fit. No I did notice the front pump has ford casting numbers indicating it was from a 76. What should the distance from the block plate to flex plate be?

4. d2_willys

d2_willys
    from Kansas

Is the flex plate mounted backwards?

5. jshelley

jshelley

When I put the flexplate on I asumed it went on with the counter weight facing the engine