Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical 50s engine bay airflow for sbc

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by Joshua614, Jun 11, 2015.

1. Joshua614

Joshua614

I have a 1950 Pontiac with a sbc carbureted with a 3 core aluminum stock-ish style radiator with an electric fan and shroud with a 180 star and I'm having over heat issues . When I keep the hood open sits on 190 idle no prob close the hood starts wanting to climb . What have some of you other 50s era guys done to get better air flow to the engine bay ? Pulling my hair out !

2. How about a few more details with your combo........That would probably help a lil in figuring things out.

3. Something is definitely not right somewhere because that engine/car combo is as straightforward as it gets and is not trouble prone or marginal for cooling. Start with the fundamentals.

4. above.........

5. Joshua614

Joshua614

Stock small block Chevy 350
    Stock heads
    Mid length headers
    Dual plane intake
    750 quickfuel blow thru carburetor
    Vortech v3 centrifugal supercharger
    Stock water pump
    Msd street fire ignition box
    Hei distributer
    No radical timing
    180 thermostat
    Electric fan is on at 185

Building a lot of engine compartment heat

6. Get rid of the electric fan and install a 18" mechanical steel bladed fan. HRP

[​IMG]

7. Better...... Me- 50 Merc= Warm 350,hei,above average pistons/rotator,850 referenced carb,weiand blower,3 core aluminum rad with a 17'' puller fan. 160 t-stat. Will run all day idleing/driving at no more than 180/185, that's in 80' temps. When it's warm=90+, it'll creep some but won't crest 210.
    Shroud? Modified dist? carb jetting? Gotta fool with things a lil.
    I idle at 650-700 in gear/750 in park without any load-up,and can hammer it all day long without detonating..........
    Sounds like some tuning is required.......
    Just gotta keep messing with it.

8. BJR

BJR

Put a baffle in the nose of the hood above the radiator. Keeps the hot air from being sucked back to the front of the radiator instead of leaving the engine compartment.

9. Ralph

Ralph

On my 40 Plymouth I did BJR's fix - the baffle. Then HRP's big fan, and a shroud. Went from overheating in traffic to "you can't overheat it."

10. footbrake

footbrake

Get used to it. The supercharger creates mucho heat

11. greybeard360

greybeard360

Temp starts to climb at idle with hood close.... climbs to what?
    How does it do driving at 30 mph? 60 mph?
    You say mild timing.... may be too mild at idle (retarded timing will make one run hot)
    If it cool off driving at 30.... your fan may not be pulling enough air. Anything over about 30 mph you can just throw the fan away.

12. jetnow1

jetnow1
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from CT
    1. A-D Truckers

Check for air pathways that allow air to go around the radiator- block off any air that is not directed thru
    the radiator. As stated above a mechanical fan rather than an electric fan. Louvers in hood will also help
    and look good while doing so! Raise the back of the hood a little for a temporary solution.

flux capacitor likes this.
  13. Baffling. Aircraft piston engines depend on baffles in the correct places to keep the air (in this case outside air) moving in the right direction for cooling. This makes a lot of sense in your case along with a good mechanical fan. Yes I'm just parroting what was said above, but it does make sense.

14. flux capacitor

flux capacitor

Make the shroud funnel 110% of the air flow through the fan opening. Sealing off every millimeter off that can escape around the shroud. Forcing it to be pulled through the shroud. Flux

15. atomickustom

atomickustom

Sounds like you need a bigger or stronger fan?
    Make sure the cover that goes from the radiator to the top of the grille IS there, but make sure the big splash guard underneath is NOT. The top one ensures outside air to the radiator, the bottom one will restrict airflow.