Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Outdoor Theaters

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Hdonlybob, Jun 7, 2015.

1. Hdonlybob

Hdonlybob

The first drive-in theater opened 82 years ago today, in 1933. Do you remember the first movie you saw at a drive-in theater? Also can you pick any of your cars out in this picture?? I found few that I had in High School :)
    Outdoor Theater...first one.png

dana barlow likes this.
  2. I see my car!:cool: The windows are all fogged up:eek:

racer-x, dan c, dana barlow and 7 others like this.
  3. Canada Jeff

Canada Jeff

Star Wars. 1977, I was 4. Life changing.

4. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Ford52PU likes this.

5. I think it was The Ten Commandments around 1959. I grew up in the Bible Belt.:D

timwhit, olcurmdgeon and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  6. Hdonlybob

Hdonlybob

Oh Gosh, I am dating myself here..my first movie was Ma and Pa Kettle on the Farm back in the mid 50's lol

lothiandon1940 and Model T1 like this.
  7. Model T1

Model T1

Don't remember the movie. But we were in mom and dad's 1934 Chevy 4-door. It wasn't actually a drive in like they were later on. It was an empty field next to round grain bins next to the Y-corner south of town. The screen was a large white sheet between two poles. Speakers were on those poles. The movies were black and white and it was free. They made money off the snacks at the small wooden consession stand.
    Later we had two local drive in theaters north of town. All kids took their dates there after getting snacks at the drive in diners. My first car was a 49 Dodge and I had screens in the rear side windows to keep them from steaming up. The steam was because it was cold out. That's my story and I'm stick to it!
    Looks like my Dodge on the right next to the consession stand.

lothiandon1940 and 302GMC like this.
  8. This is where I spent many nights in Stamford CT.:cool: It is funny it opened when I was four years old and closed in 1971 the year I got married.:rolleyes:

9. My first drive-in movie experience was in 1962 at the Hwy 29 theater, My dad loaded up a metal Pepsi Cola ice chest with sodas and mom popped up a huge bowl of pop corn.

Dad had a brand new 1962 Ford Galaxie 500 and the movie was Lawrence of Arabia,I was 12 years old and my sister was 6.

I remember it was a cool evening and I think I made it through about an hour and fell fast asleep but it is a nice memory.

[​IMG]

Later on when I was dating,I took a girl to the drive in (Passion Pit as the minister called it) and the movie was The Graduate,but to be perfectly honest I don't remember too much about the movie! :D

But,the Sounds of Silence movie sound track played on my 8 track for years.HRP

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 7, 2015
  10. Naked Jungle at the Crest Drive In, in what was then Hickman Mills, now a part of the City of Kansas City. I wonder how many five-year-olds, like I was at the time, were shocked by the ants eating a guy. Gruesome! Or wonder who among them felt guilt-free in torturing ants with a magnifying glass after watching that movie. That's how impressionable you can be while sitting with your older sister in the back seat of a '52 Henry J on a hot, sweaty July night.

11. Kan Kustom

Kan Kustom

I don't remember the first time or movie but I sure miss them now ! One of the best parts of growing up.

Model T1 and lothiandon1940 like this.
  12. Dave Mc

Dave Mc

Born in San Pablo ,Ca. the Rancho Drive-in was at the end of our street , just below TankFarm Hill a small creek ( with Frogs ) bordered the Fence/ Parking spaces . more fun for us kids in the creek , we had to be in bed before the movies started. Drive-In.jpg

lothiandon1940, hendelec and Model T1 like this.
  13. my first time to the outdoor i was about four 1970. it was behind the turn style shopping plaza in racine wi. i must have fallen asleep after my ice cream cone because i don't remember anything else. fast forward to 14yrs old. my older brother took me in his hopped up duster. it was a dusk til dawn show. my bloody valentine 1-3 and chain saw massacre 1-2 were shown. if i remember right they showed five movies. we left just as the sun was coming up. good thing there was a quarter barrel in the trunk for all the friends that showed up. there were a couple of boob shots and everyone honk their horns. in high school i took my girl friend to the show in my 66 chevelle. it was our first date. she became my wife and we still take the 66 every chance we get. my kids are hooked on the outdoor also. there is just something about the drive in on a hot summer night.

Model T1 likes this.
  14. Chrisbcritter

Chrisbcritter

Yep! August 1963; here's the listing for the theatre (in Skokie, IL) and the movie:
    [​IMG]
    ...in this car:
    [​IMG]
    I had just turned 3.

Model T1 likes this.
  15. Fortunateson

Fortunateson

The first movie my parents took us to see was Toby Tyler, a circus movie. In high school we used to go to Cascades Drive-In. It was a couple of blocks from a large hospital and at the beginning of the evening the management made an announcement that to be courteous to those in th who spiral we should all refrain from sounding our horns. They really should have thought about that request a little longer...... LOL

Model T1 likes this.
  16. luckythirteenagogo

luckythirteenagogo
    from Selma, NC

I don't remember what the movie was, but I do believe I was in my 76 Nova and I was in high school. My buddies and I used to head up to the Keno in Kenosha. I went there for years, and got my kids hooked as well. There has been more than a few times I had to take the little guys to the same movie more than once because they fell asleep the first time.
    Unfortunately, it looks like the Keno has played it's last movie and sold it's last bucket of popcorn. They announced this spring that they would not be reopening this year. It is definitely an end of an era.

Model T1 likes this.
  17. I must have seen Thunder Road at least a dozen times at the Drive-In. It was usually shown along with Thunder in Carolina as a double-feature.

18. i.rant

i.rant
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. 1940 Ford

I can't remember the movie title but my parents would pile us in our 52 Chevy coupe in our pajamas and off we'd go to the Double Drive-In in Chicago. In the early 50's that would have been a real treat as money was tight in my family. Great memories, even better after I could drive myself starting in 62!

Model T1 and lothiandon1940 like this.
  19. yes the keno is done for now. the property is going to be a walmart. the locals are fighting it. a group is trying to save the keno. the closest drive in now is jefferon wi. or the dells big sky drive in.

Speed Gems and Model T1 like this.
  20. Thought I would post this photo I saved several years ago. HRP

[​IMG]

hendelec, dana barlow, i.rant and 4 others like this.
  21. One of the most memorable movies. I remember sitting in the back seat of my parents 49 Ply. at the Starlite Drive in and thinking this was the best movie ever.

22. Patton, 43 The Petty Story, Carrie, and The Virgin Witch. The drive-ins were in their last days in our area at that time and are all long gone now.

23. aaggie

aaggie

A trip down memory lane and maybe a history lesson here. Early '50s we would go to the drive in movies and on family nights the films usually were 'Francis the Talking Mule", "Abbott and Costello" or maybe something from the Marks Brothers. Most of the places had a playground up by the screen and the kids would play until the movie started then run back to the car. We had a big Nash with fold down back seat and my sister and I were always asleep before the movie was over.
    During the High School years we learned a lot more about life and John Wayne westerns were more popular. Dollar a car load nights were always popular and sometimes we got twenty kids in the back of a pickup and we all got in for the dollar then sat in the bleacher seats in front of the concession stand.
    During the Navy years you picked up your date then stopped at the Liquor store and picked up a six pack of Budweiser and a pint of Old Crow for her. The Cranston Drive in near the Navy base would rent you a propane heater that hung from the rear window during the Winter and you had to leave your drivers license as a security deposit.
    About ten years ago the last movie closed here in Houston. By then the sound was transmitted through the car radio and there were six different screen all showing different films.

lothiandon1940, i.rant and Model T1 like this.
  24. Mr. Mac

Mr. Mac

Man! That's a tough question for this old mind but I think it was The Monster from the Black Lagoon. Admiral Twin drive inn in Tulsa. It's still operating today.

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  25. woodhawg

woodhawg
    1. S.F.C.C.

1966 VW beetle. Movie, did not see any movie. Spent entire night in the back seat with fronts flipped forward. Ah youth, it is wasted on the young.

26. Dave Rondou

Dave Rondou

Use to go to the Village Drive in in Santa Rosa Ca. in the early '60s with my future wife in my '59 Chevy. After the movie we would hit what we called the Scarf&Barf and then cruise 4th Street.

27. Frank Carey

Frank Carey

Don't remember first time but when American Grafitti came out, a dozen or so guys from our street rod club went together. Should have taken pictures. This was in NJ. The last Drive-In in NJ was in Hazlet. They announced their closing sometime in the 1980s and a few of us went on the last night. They showed a double feature, The Fly and a rock 'n roll movie. Lots of fifties cars and a few rods. Was covered by New York's channel 11 news. They interviewed a friend and ran that interview at 11:00 PM but I missed it because I wasn't home yet!

Model T1 likes this.
  28. 62nova

62nova

Mary Poppins! Yeah I know.

29. luckythirteenagogo

luckythirteenagogo
    from Selma, NC

Yeah, that's the word on the street because we all know we need another Walmart. Not too long ago they build a new Walmart/Sams Club disaster about 5 miles down the road from there. The Keno website now redirects you to the Cascade Drive-in in West Chicago.

Speed Gems and Model T1 like this.