Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Naming your car

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by IROC100, Jun 6, 2015.

1. j walking

j walking

named our Henry J "J Walking" our Dodge Coronet Twisted Lemon

2. Chavezk21

Chavezk21

When I was in high school, we had names for the cars based on the first letters of the liscence plates. We would use the names the letters spelled or make up acronyms. My dad's 58 impala was root beer brown and was called alf. My nova at the time rrc 059 was the race ready chevy. My brothers car lls 086 was the lady lover supreme. my friends dodge truck was cbd 432 which wals called clifford the big red dodge. How i can remeber this after all these years i will never know. But was really fun.

3. Bounder

Bounder

I'm thinking Money Pit would fit most of em! Then there's a guy in town with a drag car called "Blown Money" seems to fit, too.

4. The 39 guy

The 39 guy

My 39 Convertible is named Sweet 39 but her nick name is The Mistress. The wife seldom goes on the long rod runs so I tell her that me and the mistress are going out of town for the weekend and then there are all of those late nights I have spent with the mistress out in the shop....... She has already named my 40 coupe project Blue Eyes.

5. Clik

Clik

My Henry J is: Der Kinder Kaiser (Translation: The Little Kaiser). I plan to do a little German Kaiser cartoon character to put with the name somewhere on the car. I thought about naming our big Impala Green Acres since they are big cars and it is green. Somehow the 56 Olds just gets called the Oldsmobubble.

6. Clik

Clik

I had an old mid sixties Chrysler 383 that I ripped the exhaust system from while offroading. It spent the rest of it's life chugging around trying to avoid raising the attention of cops late at night and was hence named Captain Tug.

7. 35desoto

35desoto

My 63 Dodge is called "Fiery Lady"
    Shes red
    She has a temperament
    But man can she boogie when she wants too

8. Martin Harris

Martin Harris

My 3 year old calls my C Cab "Hot Rod Broke, Dad fix It!".
    I call it all sorts of things, none of which are suitable for young ears.......:p

65nailhead likes this.
  9. 2935ford

2935ford

My wife, who is not real thrilled with my Hot Rod habit, names all of them. :)

falcongeorge likes this.
  10. IMG_0037-001.JPG ..........The song

dana barlow and grf-x like this.
  11. grf-x

grf-x

Though it is not complete, i named mine jughead. It fitting on so many levels. Its a 1951 fordor shoebox. Its big and oafy. kinda like me. I work as a computer tech, but most don't realize it by looking at me. They think i am just a car guy. But those whom i work with think i am just a big nerd who like rockabilly and bluegrass. They can picture me being into classic cars. Not even with a pompadour piled hi. Jughead was also one of my favorite character from archie comics.

Atwater Mike likes this.
  12. My old Chevy was called "Mayflower"..folks asked why Mayflower for a Chev,,my answer was
    because your sister came across in it,,,Hehehehehe

13. stimpy

stimpy

my O/t pickup one of my girlfreinds named it bubba and it stuck , as for my Ponitac , its called storage unit as everything is stored in it ( parts for its rebuilding )

14. papajohn

papajohn

Growing up, my uncle had a red 66 VW Beetle with Hitler's Revenge and a small swastika written on the engine cover.

15. dan c

dan c
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

i had a '53 chevy i called "the six pack," for obvious reasons. a buddy had a $25 '59 ford that had a coral paint job he called "the pink bitch." i bought my daily driver during the winter--a new challenger rt scat pack. later found out it had a 485hp engine and figured i'd kill myself in it. i call it "the deathmobile."

16. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

Man has this place changed...:(

17. wsdad

wsdad

I have a side-swiped '76 LTD sitting beside my house that I'm taking the drive train out of to put in my t bucket. It's named, "BUC." (Pronounced, "Buck.") It stands for, "Big Ugly Car."

Maybe I should name my t bucket, "LUC."

Last edited: Jun 7, 2015
  18. Being a 57...Heinze. Although I keep thinking I really would like something deeply American, since this, to me, is what our passion is really all about. I was so taken by the Yankee's tribute at Yankee stadium last year, by both the Team and the fans, to their "hated rivals", Boston, maybe "Sweet Caroline".

19. Two pages and nobody's mentioned "Cum Dumpster"?

20. J. A. Miller

J. A. Miller
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Central NY

Or Sewer Pickle

dan c, Just Gary and falcongeorge like this.
  21. Gman0046

Gman0046

Sorry guy's I'm just burned out the cars with being named after songs. Too many "Blue Velvets' and "Run Around Sues". You won't see any names painted on my cars.
    That said, I still remember a 57 Olds convertible I saw that had every J.C. Whitney bolt on West Virginia go faster you could imagine and a Continental Wheel Kit with "Little Eva" painted on it.

"What A Waste Of Machinery."

22. My old black '65 Ford truck is the only one to have a name that stuck.

My dad had a mobile radio to communicate with the shop and installed the small antenna in the top of the cab,our twin girls were about 3 years old and playing in the bed of the truck and they discovered the red primer where I had filled in the hole they started calling the truck " spot",,soon both Brenda and I were doing the same. HRP

23. Gman0046

Gman0046

No problems naming a car, just don't like painting a name on the car itself. My Wife and Daughter call my 62 Impala wagon "La Bamba" but that won't be painted on the car anytime soon. My Grandson calls my all black 63 BelAir the "Black Mamba" but thats not going to appear on the car either.

Gary

24. dirty old man

dirty old man
    Member Emeritus

Years ago I had a black '79 Mustang for a daily driver, and the old black man who lived next door to my shop over inna hood named it "Black Gal". He spent a lot of time visiting me over in the shop for years, and I held him in high regard. He died a few years ago, and the old house he lived in was torn down and replaced with a new (rental) house.
    So when I painted my hiboy roadster black while building it, I named it BGII.
    [​IMG]

dana barlow and Saxman like this.
  25. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

The factory named my car, even put an emblem on it and everything. I did once paint the name of a chick I was dating on my car. That was a big mistake. Fortunately her name was Nina, and it came off easily. Then came Gwendolyn, but I had learned that lesson.

26. JimSibley

JimSibley

Green t ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1433701003.825937.jpg orange chevy ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1433701087.496371.jpg and the holy terror[ shown beside our local version of black Betty!ATTACH=full]2923938[/ATTACH]

Attached Files:

dana barlow likes this.
  27. Don West

Don West

I've called mine some names but they aren't printable....

28. 30dodge

30dodge
    from Pahrump nv

The manufacturer named mine, "DA Dodge Coupe"

29. -Brent-

-Brent-

No kidding! Wow.

30. Timbofor

Timbofor

All my vehicles have a name. To me, it's out of respect. You name you kids and treat them well, name your pets and care for them lovingly. Why not give your car or truck the same dignity. You spend hours, days months, even years saving your money and putting your blood and sweat into this creation. Doesn't that make it deserve a name.
    Everything I own picks it's own name. Sometimes it's the same day I got it, some took a couple years to earn it's name. My old 58 apache is called grumpy, since it's tempental. My OT daily driver is called "Frankie" because it's an absolute Frankenstein built by and for a street racer.
    My tow pig is an 04 avalanche. We call it Blanche partly because of the name,
    Partly because of the show golden girls. Blanche was old and tired, but always got the job done and EVERYONE wanted a ride ;-).

BobbyRay likes this.