Register now to get rid of these ads!

Features "Snoopy" Model A Hot Rod Survivor

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Denns1989, Sep 8, 2014.

1. Today I was walking up my father inlaws drive to take a few pics of the cleaned up motor & front suspension on Snewp's, as I walked up on the car I thought to myself "Damn that thing looks cool head on !"

20150526_164022.jpg

So here is the degreased engine & you can kinda see the cleaned up front suspension as well - the other day I took an old snowbrush, cut the worn out end off & then sprayed citrus degreaser on the engine & started scrubbin (high tech eh ? ha ha ) Then I fired up the father in laws pressure washer & cleaned the dirt & grease off the front suspension (didn't use it on the motor - didn't want to blow all the engine paint off), weather was finally nice enough to do these 2 jobs - Didn't appreciate how grimy everything was until I got it cleaned up.

20150526_164819.jpg 20150526_164804.jpg

There was some bare metal under some of the grime so I had a part rattle can of clear coat in the garage, just gave it a quick shot so it's sealed up.
    It's running so nice after the new intake gasket - beauty, out for a run with my buddy the other night (his 2nd ride) & he said "I still can't get over how this thing works together, it's far from a high tech build, solid but not pretty construction, but the stupid thing works great, I can't get over it", I have to admit, this is my 1st hot rod but I was prepared for a much more tempormental ride etc. for a car that was cobbled together by a couple teenagers in the early 60's with a torch & stick welder, I just laugh & shake my head, crazy thing -

2. kisam

kisam

Amazing thread! I really enjoyed it.

Atwater Mike and Denns1989 like this.
  3. Mart

Mart

Hey I like the cleaned up look. It does occur to me though that the front anti-roll bar is doing exactly nothing. You can leave it like that as a conversation piece (as long as you can tell people you know it's useless) or remove it completely. You won't feel any difference.

Mart.

4. Weezy1930

Weezy1930
    from OHIO

I questioned that too. What if the pivot point closest to the bar was locked solid? That would make it function, yes?

volvobrynk likes this.
  5. olscrounger

olscrounger
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Looks like stock 40 roll bar--can you move the locating bkts back so the links are vertical-then it will function

Weezy1930 and volvobrynk like this.
  6. Thanks all, yes my Buddy's Dad pointed that out the day I hauled it home late last August - I didn't think it would do much the way it is :) I will have to check - the panhard bar also mounts to the sway bar bracket, but I might be able to slide the whole assembly back... it rides fine for me, but if it's a simple fix - why not ? I wonder if they did that originally because of the front brake line routing/exhaust clearance issue on the left side & needed the link to be horizontal for clearance... not an issue now with the new exhaust..

On another note, I got the dash clock working - ha ha I know many of you were probably wondering if that clock worked, because we all know that is a critical option for a proper Hot Rod :p Had a couple hours the other day & decided to pop it out & see if it was a simple fix, just needed the contacts cleaned up & little "love" to get the main shaft spining again - Now it ticks away & "ker-thunks" every once in awhile to keep it tickin - I knew it was an early 50's Buick style gauges in the dash, the clock had "April 53" on the case so I would assume a 53 or 54 Buick Special donated it's gauges... I love finding little clues like that :)

Woogeroo, volvobrynk and Runnin shine like this.
  7. Well the stars finally aligned a couple days ago, I had a chance to give the car a "once over" clean up, the weather was perfect & the baby was sleeping - finally after nine months I drove Snewp's over to a small park where I thought I might get some decent pictures, been wanting to take some decent photos for a long long time !! Over 600 miles on the trip odometer so far, so good... think the rear bearing on the generator is going (having that checked today-& yes I have kept the belt on the loose side) but aside from that - good to go.
    Everyone says they like pictures - Here we go !

P1060191.JPG P1060184.JPG P1060180.JPG P1060178.JPG P1060176.JPG P1060174.JPG P1060160.JPG P1060134.JPG P1060125.JPG P1060114.JPG P1060111.JPG

8. ROADSTER1927

ROADSTER1927

OUTSTANDING, your pics and your hot rod intent is GREAT. Gary:D

Denns1989 and volvobrynk like this.
  9. Danekejt

Danekejt
    from Pa

Great pics. Nice job on the car.

Denns1989 likes this.
  10. jocktherock

jocktherock
    from Sweden

As beautiful as my wife,i think! But she has not written history yet like your beauty hotrod. Thx for sharing

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

Denns1989 and volvobrynk like this.
  11. Great pictures!, Great car!

Denns1989 likes this.
  12. Gee wilikers! You should try to enjoy that little car a bit more!! ;)

Outstanding story, outstanding car, outstanding pictures and an outstanding attitude by the owner! Not much else to say...

Dave

Last edited: Jun 3, 2015
    Denns1989 likes this.
  13. Weezy1930

Weezy1930
    from OHIO

So glad you stuck with the skinny whitewalls. It just screams "period build" with the whole overall look. Great job. And love Snoopy's stance!

Denns1989, volvobrynk and tb33anda3rd like this.
  14. Thanks, I'm very happy with the choice as well - Plus almost any other size tire on the front would have required "surgery" to the front fenders/mounts, the front fenders sit nice & tight to the 6.70 x 15's, just like they planned it back in the early 60's !
    As for the stance he has a slight "bachelor's lean" must be a broken leaf or 2 in the back (been that way since I got it) but since it has the "cover's" over the leafs I can't see exactly what's going on... but that's for another day, bank account needs to recover for a bit :) It's subtle, but enough to annoy me when it's parked on a flat level surface & viewing from the back :)

Weezy1930 likes this.
  15. thark

thark
    from Oklahoma

[​IMG]

Posted by SWI66 in the Vintage Shots thread, post #100962. Is this yours?

carothersbs and dana barlow like this.
  16. You've got a chopped 3 window there. But the build style fits the era and the feel of SNEWPEE. Cool pic..

Dave

volvobrynk likes this.
  17. thark

thark
    from Oklahoma

Well, DUH! I got fixated on the fenders. Didn't even occur to me that it was a chopped three window. :cool:

18. After a few fill ups I have determined Snoopy's gas mileage to be about 11 mpg, as my brother who used to sell boats would say "if your worried about how much gas they use, don't buy a boat" the same would apply here, but fun to know.
    Gas cap is now vented outside the trunk, I used some old fittings & some old hose found in father in laws shed so it doesnt look out of place - makes for a more pleasant drive, especially right after filling up...
    First car show is this saturday, just a local show, about 75 cars, nice setting / people - looking forward to it.

19. jocktherock

jocktherock
    from Sweden

Doyouremember,Jeremy? Iknowyoudo! ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1434042685.662547.jpg

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

volvobrynk likes this.
  20. toad611

toad611
    from Tennessee

How about some pictures of your vented gas cap and hose

21. Henry is smiling down at you........... great job!!!!!!!!!!!

23. I will get some pics for ya.

24. JUNK ROD

JUNK ROD

Awesome job man! Looks really nice! :)

Denns1989 likes this.
  25. Kan Kustom

Kan Kustom

Watching you, I reacted the same. Thrilling moment there !

26. Kan Kustom

Kan Kustom

Again your integrity shows through ! You are a true hero and more than deserving of that car !

27. Kan Kustom

Kan Kustom

Larry. What is CLR ?

volvobrynk likes this.
  28. Cleaner that removes Calcium, Lime and Rust.:)

volvobrynk likes this.
  29. Kan Kustom

Kan Kustom

X2

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  30. Kan Kustom

Kan Kustom

Couldn't agree more. You have this car that's what it was and still is and you can always build another to your exact desires. Having two hotrods is nothing new.

lothiandon1940 and Denns1989 like this.