Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical 47-53 Chevy truck frame????

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by budgetbuilt50, Jun 2, 2015.

1. budgetbuilt50

budgetbuilt50
    from san jose

I might of asked before but i can't find the topic, but will the 47-53 chevy truck frames fit under the 47-53 CHEVY SUBURBAN bodies?

2. squirrel

squirrel

same frame. Do you have a Suburban frame to get the rear extensions and possibly some body mounts off of?

3. budgetbuilt50

budgetbuilt50
    from san jose

4. budgetbuilt50

budgetbuilt50
    from san jose

Mounts can probably be fabricated???

5. osut362

osut362
    from East Texas
    1. Upholstery

Short answer: Yes...........I owned a 51 AD and wrecked it. I bought a panel body and made two
    angle iron mounts for the middle of the panel body. That's all there is to it. I am guessing that
    the panel truck and sub are the same. Anyone know any difference between the panel and sub???
    Al

6. squirrel

squirrel

Panel doesn't have windows, the suburban does. There are quite a few other differences inside, but the underside seems to be the same?

Model T1 likes this.
  7. mphudak

mphudak
    from Atlanta

Panel/Sub frames are the same, which are also the same as the truck. Only difference are the mounts. Frame extensions I believed were used on the 55.2-59's. I went thru quite a bit of research when i decided to get a frame for my 55.1. Finally broke down and purchased a truck chassis and slowly located the mounts.

You can use either a 47-53 or 54-55.1 frame on the Panel/Burb. The change in the rear frame kick up over the axle doesn't make a difference like it does on the trucks. There is enough space to use either.

Here are the mounts
    -This one is located just behind the middle running board bracket (trucks use the shackle mount, panel/burb doesnt). Similar to the front body mount, just shorter.
    [​IMG]
    -This one is located just behind the rear running board mount and is just a simple "L" bracket.
    [​IMG]

8. squirrel

squirrel

Yup, I peeked under a 54 panel last weekend, and noticed they don't have the extensions that the 55-66 models have.

9. Make sure you have the right wheel base truck frame, i think from 1950 on they used regular shock absorbers. And some had torque tube rear ends and some had an open driveshaft.

Last edited: Jun 10, 2015
  10. mphudak

mphudak
    from Atlanta

In a 1/2 ton chevy there was only one frame for this era. GMC offered the 1/2 ton in 2 wheel bases, short/long. Short was a 100 series, long was the 150 series.

Good call on the shocks, you can convert the early knee action versions but would make more sense to start w/the later frame since they should be the same $$$.

11. budgetbuilt50

budgetbuilt50
    from san jose

Thanks for the replies, pics and info everyone.

Now what about these rear extensions I'm hearing about? Any pictures for those?

12. mphudak

mphudak
    from Atlanta

47-55.1 don't have the frame extensions. I did a quick search but couldn't find a quick pic of the 55.2 frame w/the extensions.