Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical 53 8ba hard start issue -HELP

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by HOTRODSURFER, Jun 1, 2015.

1. my flatty is hard to start after being driven then sitting for a half hour or more cranks long like it is flooded -carb was just rebuilt-has new float and power valve-is fine if it sits over night -we rebuilt carb for same hard start condition wich started about a month or so ago -I am kinda stumped -I am running stock mechanical fuel pump and in line filter

Last edited: Jun 1, 2015
  2. King ford

King ford
    from 08302

Sounds like vapor lock..your gas is boiling somwhere ,carb, fuel pump, lines maybe.....put an insulator under the carb, put several gaskets under the fuel pump, wrap everything with insulation and foil ( pump, lines, filter if you have one)....try that!

3. fuel line from pump to carb is wrapped -as it has been for a few years now

4. Petejoe

Petejoe
    from Zoar, Ohio

Try this, add a little fuel into the carb during the hard start condition.
    next. You should have a blast resistor at coil. If your coil is overheating it could mimic vapor lock.

Last edited: Jun 1, 2015

5. BLUDICE

BLUDICE

Timing
    Check it with vacuum gauge.

6. wrapped my fuel line and used a carb spacer from cool carb technologies -problem solved -no need for electric fuel pump.......
    http://www.coolcarb.com/

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  7. ^^^^Cool!............Well at least cooler. Glad it worked out.^^^

scrap metal 48 and HOTRODSURFER like this.
  8. If it's still 6v for the ignition it may not need a ballast resistor.

Last edited: Jun 15, 2015
    HOTRODSURFER likes this.
  9. prpmmp

prpmmp

Don,t want to start a new thread,does the ballast resister get pretty hot when used for a 12 volt system? Pete

10. Ebbsspeed

Ebbsspeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Yes, they can burn you.

prpmmp likes this.
  11. prpmmp

prpmmp

Thanks!!! Pete

12. arkiehotrods

arkiehotrods

My '47 vapor locks on hot days. I carry a spray bottle with ice water in it; spray the fuel pump and it starts right up!
    The '32-'48 Fords used a ballast resistor. '49-'53 did not. The resistor on the earlier engines reduced voltage to about 3-4 volts; the later (round) 6 volt coils had the resistor built in, again reducing voltage from 6 to 3-4..

13. An old trick is to put a couple old style wooden clothes pins on the fuel line. Between pump and carb. I do this on both our flathead cars - seems to work.
    The best thing is watching people's reaction!
    The "old timers" and true flat head fans know the trick - most folks have no idea what your'e up to! "What are the clothes pins for??"
    Ha, Ha!!!

14. I did not know that. :oops: Maybe I'll nip back up there to my previous post and do a little editing... ;)

arkiehotrods likes this.