Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods 30 chevy

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Evolution, May 30, 2015.

1. Evolution

Evolution
    from c

hi here is a chevy 3 window coupe im looking at, the seller says the body and frame is good, but the wood is bad in the inside, i wanted to buy it for the body, and have my own chassis built, chopped and made in to a hot rod, but im worried about the wood being bad, will this be problematic for me? please advise thanks

Attached Files:

2. Depends on your skills but it seems like most guys use steel tube to replace the rotted wood. I came within an inch of buying a 32 Chevy pickup. Still kicking myself- it came down to a hundred bucks difference amc I was too stubborn to pay up..
    I think that since the truck is still standing you should have an easier time replacing the structure.

3. volvobrynk

volvobrynk
    from Denmark

So you are asking strangers if you will have a hard time with the wood.

Possibly, but if you are a little crafty, and get a wood kit it's do able. They are available online from different vendors.
    http://www.autowood.net/drawings.htm

Or if you have not wood skills, like me, go with square inch pipe and some welding.

On another note, a 235 or 263 would fit it well. You could go early SBC ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1432971861.975581.jpg
    And the axels from a 1949-55 Chevy AD truck would give you an good upgrade on brakes. And if you run the pick up springs minus 2 leaves in the back, it should give a slight drop and a block for the rest.
    And you get the front axle dropped ( check out sid's dropped axles) you got a nice rake.
    http://www.droppedaxles.com/CHEVY_AXLES.html

Install a never gearbox from an 60-70 C10, you get a nice 3 or 4 speed that is shift able and gears that help the Stovebolt six of the line.
    This here is for advice:
    http://www.fourwheeler.com/how-to/transmission-drivetrain/129-0608-trail-transmission/#__federated=1

The 30-32 wires are avalible in 19, and 35-36 masters are six bolts pattern too but 17 inch.
    Truck wheels fits too and match the Early SBC look too, or stock wheels of a early '80s 4x4 from Japan fits too and got the '50s steelers look.

But no ned to chance the frame! Just a slight boxing plate and you are golden for almost any mill of you liking. But for a Stovebolt six you don't need to beef it up a lot.

Last edited: May 30, 2015
  4. bubba55

bubba55

Heck yea - buy it - there's a lot of good info here on the Hamb and another website called - Bowties and Termites / or maybe it's called Termites and Bowties - sorry not sure but it's one of them - wood kits are available for them kinda pricey but like fourspeedwagon said above tubular steel is an option - a friend went to a show not to long ago and saw a '34 chevy truck where the owner replaced all the wood with steel - would be a real nice ride once you finish it !

5. Evolution

Evolution
    from c

thanks guys some real good info there

volvobrynk likes this.
  6. paul55

paul55
    from michigan

Hey, that's a '31. If you decide to get a wood kit, get it for a '31, as they are different!

7. Nope not a problem at all, you either replace it with new wood or with metal tubing and go on with life.

8. Evolution

Evolution
    from c

ok great so there is definatly a wood kit available for the 31? thanks

9. I had to replace what was left of the wood in my 33 Chevy with steel. It was a learning experience but I'm glad I did it. It can be done with a little patience. I have some pictures of it on www.rustybowtie.com

10. Evolution

Evolution
    from c

ill check it out thanks