Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical 1955 buick dashboard removal

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by tcarrasco84, Apr 15, 2014.

1. tcarrasco84

tcarrasco84
    from California

Does anyone know what the trick or even if you can get the dashboard out of the car. Its a 55 buick special

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

2. tcarrasco84

tcarrasco84
    from California

good looking out Hnstray, i didnt think about it being spot welded in. trying to avoid taking the windsheild out. ill scope it out more. thanks

3. if it's like my '57', take the inside trim out . there should be some bolts up close to the glass, there should be some screws on the front edge where it hangs over the gauges. that will get the top off. if you want the whole dash out you'll just have to look around for a few more bolts. good luck

4. wex65

wex65
    from WV

The dash is absolutely removable and without resorting to removal of the windshield. It is a bolt in job too.

I removed and restored mine last year. PM me and I will shoot you some photos if I can dig them out tomorrow. They might help you understand what exists under the dash etc.

The dash is a bit of a bitch to lift over the steering column but apart from that it was a case of removing bolts at each end and removing some under dash bracing etc.

PS, mine is a 55 Special too.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

5. Belvedere_fr

Belvedere_fr
    from France

Hello wex65,
    I've just bought one 1955 Super Buick (2 doors hardtop) and I would apreciate tips on how to remove the dash. Actually I have to fix all the dashboard lights that don't work anymore. If you still have those pictures you're talking about, it would be great !

7. On my 56 buick special station wagon, like the other member said there is trim screw to remove ,{up next to the windshield}then remove the trim then about 6 bolts have to be removed and.I lad some clips I had to pop out under the dash trip the CAREFULLY apply pressure upwards and the whole tip of the dash will lift off. I had to do this just to replace the ignition switch and once it was off, I replaced all the light bulbs .It was a lot easier than try to replace then by crawling under the dash and feeling around. If I can do it you can[ Because my wife says I am a simple man} .lol.ThanksBruce.

8. Belvedere_fr

Belvedere_fr
    from France

Hi Bruce, thank you for your time. I'll try what you said. As I'm a simple man too, maybe I could succeed !
    ;-)

9. NO WAY 2 simple men ?.Wait till I tell the warden , I mean my wife. lol.Bruce.

10. 3spd

3spd

I pulled the dash out of my '56, the hardest part was getting all the wiring off. If if you hit resistance, stop and look for bolts you missed.

11. Yes I am bringing this back from the dead. But I got all the screws and bolts out and the danged thing still won't come out. I got them from the back and the front. 1955 century

12. Well found out it's because someone before me put little welds on the very corners.

13. I agree with hidez57, on my 56 buick wagon , take all the trim screw bolts out and remove all the trim including the side windshield posts. 1st then like he said there are pretty good size bolts near the windshield and then they have to come out. I think they were 7 -16 ths. Make sure you get all of them I missed 1 and wondered whey the dah wouldn't come off. Then easily push up on the top of the dash there some push in clips there too that might have to come .I just used some pressure and the whole top of the dash will come off. I had to do that just to replace all my dashboard lights and get to the light switch. JUST MAKE SURE YOU USES A SMALL wrench taking out the bolts near the windshield .A couple of times I thought I was going to crack mine when the wrench hit the windshield.Good luck .Bruce.

14. john compono

john compono

just purchased a 55 Buick century 2dr hardtop. she rides nice and smooth but was wondering what can I do to firm up the suspension. if I go over a little rough road or a bump or a dip the car doesn't seem that tight. some bounce in the rear which it can't be cause I just put new knee shocks and shock links on. seems like the whole body is a little shaky. any suggestions guy's ? thanks.