Register now to get rid of these ads!

**Tech: Build your own 32 frame rails**

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by flthd31, Oct 5, 2008.

1. superjunkman

superjunkman
    from Austin, TX

BTTT This thread is awsome!

2. big duece

big duece
    from kansas

Outstanding! I have heard it being done, but never seen the process. I wouldnt have the patience, I would have bough the rails and used your outstanding talent on the body that you were doubting the condition of. Again, hats of to ya.

3. dragster dude

dragster dude

dumpster diving the ultimate hybrid build

4. Does anyone know if a router speed controller like the one pictured would be adequate to reduce the speed of a cheap, non-variable speed grinder to effectively achieve what you do with that killer Milwaukee?

Thanks,
    Steve

Attached Files:

5. bcharlton

bcharlton
    from Buffalo NY

You are at a different leval. I'm not worthy.

BC

6. rottenleonard

rottenleonard

I know I'm pulling this one out of the depths, I have started writing a cnc programs to cut me a set on my plasma bed. did you have to make the outer plate a little longer than the inner plate to account for the curve? I have most of the drawing done but haven't gotten around to measuring the difference in lengths.

7. flthd31

flthd31

Wow, this hasn't popped for a while. I'm ashamed to say that the coupe still isn't on the road...but getting close.

To answere your question, no, the outer and inner plates were identical. Toward the end of the thread, I show tapering the horns on the inside edge. At that time I evened then up so the front edge would be straight across.The rear came out OK. Hope this makes sense.

I've added a couple of pics to show where this project is at. Lots of guys see that frame and scratch their heads when I tell them it's home made. That one project more than paid for my Hypertherm plasma and it fits that A body like a glove.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 21, 2012
  8. ken1939

ken1939

Very nice, very very nice.

9. rottenleonard

rottenleonard

Ah the car is looking great, I know how other projects tend to push their way to the front of the line.

It looks like you used the upswept front frame horns rather than the flattened style is that right or am I just seeing things? I like the way it looks, I'm using a 29 a roadster body with a duece grill and want to have it look right.
    Here is the westcott pdf so you can see what I'm asking
    http://www.wescottsauto.com/WebCatalog/Tech/FrameDiagram1929Hiboy.pdf

10. dad-bud

dad-bud

Don't fret about not having it finished, it's still an awesome display of thinking outside the box and coming up with a solution to get what your want for a price you can afford.
    Inspirational.

11. flthd31

flthd31

Yes, it's up-swept the same as a stock 32 frame. Back on post #237, I uploaded the pattern I used for my wood template. It was blown up from the Wescott print and needs some refining after printing because the lines blew up also...about 3/8 inch thick.

dad-bud, thanks for the kind words.

12. Hate to dig up an old thread like this out of the depths, but this guy deserves it. Too cool.
    Now what do you do to combat the shortening of the sides and top/ bottom due to the bends put into the metal? You seem to cut it as if it were in profile, which would result in the resulting frame being shorter than the real frame; no? That is just the last concept I am trying to grasp here...

13. Ooo, that's a good point. How crucial it really is depends on the car being built. If for an A model body, it probably doesn't matter at all. For a totally correct spec 32, it probably does.

14. flthd31

flthd31

Wow, resurrected from oblivion...which is where all tech threads have gone, unfortunately.

X38 is right on. For a Model A...who cares if it's perfect. For a '32, you would want it correct with a developed view of the side.
    I planned all along to use a model a body on my frame with a slight channel so I wasn't too worried about it being exactly perfect in every dimension.
    As for it not being exactly the right length...well, your right, it's a tad shorter, but there again, I was putting a model a body on it so it wasn't an issue for me. I actually bobbed the front of the rails 2 1/2 inches and kept the stock model A wheel base of 103 1/2 instead of the 106 for 32's.

This project was never intended to be an exact copy of a 32 frame. Trying to make a perfect duplicate then pinch it at the cowl, then kick up the rear and then re-contour the rails, then shorten the wheelbase...all to fit a Model A wouldn't make a lot of sense.
    If you're luck enough to have a 32 body, you probably would be better off buying repop frame rails.

Here's a couple of pics for you where I currently at. Test drive with no doors was a good time. Lots of guys have seen it and nobody thought it was weird looking.

headers complete_002.JPG hotrod00001.jpg wiring and outside_107.JPG

Last edited: May 21, 2015
  15. scotti32

scotti32

That coupe is turning out beautifully.

flthd31 likes this.
  16. Coupe is turning out every bit as impressively as the tech thread it began with! Great job.:)

flthd31 likes this.
  17. flthd31

flthd31

Thanks, guys. Got side tracked a few times on this build but it should be on the road in a few weeks.
    Here's a couple pics of the dash. I'm leaving the steering wheel and waterfall un-restored. The tach is an old "Radatron" that works beautifully. And, the horn button works! steering install_016a.JPG steering install_023a.JPG

Rich B., just Mike, chopd top and 4 others like this.
  18. clem

clem

WOW ! Amazing build. Thanks for posting. That dash is fantastic, as is the whole car.

flthd31 likes this.
  19. Very, VERY nice.

I love the idea of keeping the Model A wheelbase with a 32 frame. I didn't realize you had done that until I read your most recent posts. Again, VERY nice.

flthd31 likes this.
  20. flthd31

flthd31

Thanks man, I wanted to run a stock hood top from the beginning...didn't want to stretch one 'cause I like the A Coupes "short and stout " just like Henry built them. I ended up using an old 32 hood I had. That stainless center hinge really cleans things up a bit.

32 hood_009.JPG
    32 hood_006.JPG

30TudorSedan, Rich B. and charleyw like this.
  21. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Roger that!!!
    Two things:
    I'm liking Model A's much more than I use to thanks to guys like this that go the extra mile, especially the deuce hood and shell, and about that bitch'n frame---
    YOU GOTTA WANT IT PRETTY BAD
    Bravo

flthd31 likes this.
  22. tobyflh

tobyflh
    from Peru il

WOW!!!!

flthd31 likes this.
  23. jerseyboy

jerseyboy

Triple wowie! That is one beautiful ride:cool: Love the dash and color.BTW, what is the color?

flthd31 likes this.
  24. Bugguts

Bugguts

Just reread the whole thread. It's been a few years ago that I first read it, but it's very cool to see the finished car. Looks really nice. Well done.

flthd31 likes this.
  25. flthd31

flthd31

It's an old Porsche color from the 60's called Schiefergrau or Slate Gray - code 6401. It's Glasurit 22 line paint.(BASF subsidiary)
    It's a nonmetallic single stage...probably too high of quality for this old rust-bucket.
    Here's what it looked like before....just a bunch of cast off parts.
    30-31 coupe 087.JPG

Last edited: Jan 6, 2020
    Wanderlust likes this.
  26. wow that looks awesome man!!

flthd31 likes this.
  27. jerseyboy

jerseyboy

From humble beginnings....makes it even more impressive. Now one of my favorite builds!

flthd31 likes this.
  28. F-head

F-head

very impressive
    excellent work, love the color

flthd31 likes this.
  29. sport fury

sport fury

would like to have the print outs for the top views of the 32 ford frame rails.

30. flthd31

flthd31

Sorry, I do not have one. The top profile pattern was made right on the garage floor directly on the plywood as shown below. You could easily do the same thing with any project.
    The frame rail is straight from the cowl forward. It's forward width is determined by the width of your front crossmember. From the cowl back, it will follow the body contour. Overall length is determined by the wheelbase you choose.
    Here's a re-post from earlier in this thread:

frame03 .JPG

frame04 .JPG

To make the top profile, I drew a centerline on the garage floor and put the floor, cowl and front cross member in place using the dimensions on the print. I then traced the contour onto luan underlayment and cut it.

frame05 .JPG

Last edited: Oct 26, 2017