Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical So I f*%#@ up and added fuel to my antifreeze..Help..

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by gasservette68, May 18, 2015.

1. gasservette68

gasservette68

So im trying to break in a motor I just built only to find I added gas to my antifreeze so.... it runs for a bit then just boils right over. obviously ive flushed it but still a disaster. Im either looking for a way to neutralize the fuel which may not be a thing or I don't know maybe an old wives tale. anything other than 5 more flushes. lets not disuss a spotless engine compartment that's a total mess. Im just furious and I really need it up and running so I can break it in I really crapped the bed here. any advise would be huge

2. i don't think it is, the little bit of gas left in the system, that is making it boil over.

3. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

so, post some pics. radiator blocked? thermostat in upside down?, etc

4. Take the cap off and light a match and burn the gas off. HA HA no just kidding do not do that!
    Drain the antifreeze and put a hose in the radiator and open the pecock and let it run for a while till the water runs clear and don't stink of gas.

5. Ebbsspeed

Ebbsspeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

If you've drained the radiator and the block, and it still boils over you may have other issues, as mentioned above. Granted the crap fuel nowadays has a pretty low boiling point and would definitely boil way before water/coolant would, but that also means that it would evaporate quite quickly from the engine after you drained it, especially if the engine was still warm.

6. I suspect the problem is not your mistake, so look further. It would be a real shame to ruin an engine, because you were looking at the wrong problem.

7. rusty rocket

rusty rocket

Oops I crapped my pants!

8. King Karl

King Karl
    from N.C.

Can't belive that this hasn't been asked yet and yes I know that it will not help your situation but... How the hell did it slip by you that you were adding fuel to the antifreeze?

9. gasservette68

gasservette68

Funny that's the same question I asked myself. Late nites, warm beer, old gas that was being stored in an antifreeze container that I vaguely remember thinking it was that yellow antifreeze I have no clue what I do know is its in there and it making a huge mess and problem and I want it out now. I could have another issue but this IS happening so im not looking for a second issue til I clean up this shitty mess. Thanks guys. Whats that rule about deminshed returns?

10. Russco

Russco
    from Central IL

Can't you just run a garden hose into the radiator, take the top hose off of the radiator and run it to the ground or tank or something and run the motor with the hose on for a while? Surely it can't be that hard to flush it all out of there

11. harpo1313

harpo1313
    from wareham,ma

Your boiling over is another issue ,how long was it running? Flushing a couple times should be fine,although your hoses might break down over time.get a timing light on it and try again.

12. AND...leave the beer alone.....

belair and lothiandon1940 like this.
  13. metlmunchr

metlmunchr

Pull the thermostat. Leave the upper hose disconnected from the radiator. Pinch off the end of the hose partially so you can keep the cooling system full as you run the engine with a garden hose filling the radiator.

The stat has to be out to get good flow thru the entire system, but you don't want to end up with the water pump pushing water out faster than the hose can replace it as that can cause the heads to starve and overheat while the rest of the engine stays dead cold.

After ten minutes or so like that there's not going to be enough gas left to cause any problems, so you'll know at that point whether you've cured the problem or if its time to look for another cause.

pat59 likes this.
  14. King Karl

King Karl
    from N.C.

Beer and lack of sleep has been my downfall many times. (Mostly beer) I can totally relate.
    Hey but look on the bright side, you are teaching a lot of us about something most have never done before. That makes you a pioneer in my book.

BTW : I wouldn't joke about it so much if I didn't think a system flush would correct the problem. I can't imagine that you have caused any serious issues that weren't already there.

Personally, I would go with metlmunchr's approach and put a new thermostat in when going back together.

15. If it started to boil over AFTER you put the gasoline in, then your thermostat is stuck closed. The gas has caused the inner rubber sheath to swell.

Brazil%20Thermostat%20Cutaway.jpg

afaulk and tb33anda3rd like this.
  16. Mike Moreau

Mike Moreau

Gasservette68, admire you having the confidence to tell us about this. We have done similar things like this one time or another. I'll throw in 2 comments: I have no idea what gasoline in this situation would do to radiator hoses. I would squeeze the lower radiator hose or at least look to see if was collapsing from the suction into the water pump. Secondly and most important: This is a good lesson about proper storage of liquids. Every once in a while you read about someone swallowing a slug of brake fluid, antifreeze, etc from a coke bottle or can. Never store any chemical in a container marked for anything humans consumer. It could kill you.

40fordtudor and pat59 like this.
  17. I broke a cam in in an engine that I had that cracked a head on the first fire. I had to keep it running to break the cam I so I stuck a hose in the radiator and let her fly until the cam was broke in.

Fuel in your radiator is a pretty odd problem but I don't doubt that it happens. if it were me I would just stuff a hose in it and leave it open and break it in. By the time you got it broke in your have it cleaned out.

18. czuch az

czuch az

I'll bet its a timing issue.
    The coolant pollution, not really so much.
    It wont blow up and I'd just recover the first draining, then let er spill.
    Hose first, then distilled water for the refill.

19. 30dodge

30dodge
    from Pahrump nv

Do,'t feel bad.
    There was a guy back in the 70's that had a bit to much beer and put was putting gas in his 22 ft. cabin cruiser. He did not know the difference between the words "water" and "fuel" . When the bilge pump kick and the smell of gas ==== the fire dept. and other boaters were not to happy.

20. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

I think it would be interesting to fill the whole cooling system with gas, start it up and watch from a distance to see what happens.

21. Benzine would be more interesting. :D

22. You're not helping.:rolleyes:

23. But I am. :D

24. Just dont try to recycle the gas back into your tank ;)

25. G V Gordon

G V Gordon
    from Enid OK

Is it boiling over or just puking water out? If the system was completely dry you may just be seeing the trapped air being purged from the system. Just a thought.

26. BJR

BJR

Beer..... The cause and solution to most of lives problems. Homer Simpson.

27. 56premiere

56premiere
    from oregon

At least it wasn't antifreeze in the fuel. That would have very bad results.

28. Mike Colemire

Mike Colemire

I'd replace the T stat, and if your worried about the gas, fill the coolant system with extra strength simple green, run it until everything is broke in and flush it with water. You mix the simple green with water. Ford had a problem with inj cups causing diesel to get in the cooling system. This is what they recommended, plus it makes it smell good!

29. afaulk

afaulk

The next time just pour the beer in the radiator. Sorry....I couldn't resist that one.

30. Deuced Up!

Deuced Up!
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Dang it "afaulk" I was just headed to the bottom to make that comment. You beat me to it.