Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Generator test 59 CHevy

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Groucho, May 18, 2015.

1. Which 2 terminals do u hook to a battery to see if it'll spin like a motor? THX

2. 302GMC

302GMC
    from Idaho

If it's loose, I use jumper cables - black grounds both field term & case, red touched to arm will motor the unit.

3. Thanks. How accurate is this test? The speed looks close to what it'd be at an idle on the car

4. 6-bangertim

6-bangertim
    from California

Look for the oilers on the front and back - add a few drops of motor oil from your pump oiler. Should help! :)

5. I did that first. It spins fine

6. 302GMC

302GMC
    from Idaho

It's an "each one is different'' deal - if it's clean INSIDE with good brushes & turns smoothly, I'll clean it up & run it. If it's not for my own use, it's just a rebuildable core unless gone through.

7. I did clean it up inside and lubed the spring hinges that keep pressure on the brushes and moved a brush wire that was touching something that it shouldn't have. It's all back together with a new regulator ($85 my cost!!) and it's charging fine. THX man

8. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

buy a dirty Motors Manual off of Ebay you don't need a fancy clean one. GM and Ford test using different terminals. I look it up every time. I rebuilt a Ford generator and got it to motor. I looked it up followed directions and it worked fine. I polarized it (as per the book also) and it charged like a bitch when I started the motor for the first time.

9. I have several shop manuals and don't recall "motor" instructions to test generators

10. clem

clem

Do a search on HAMB ,plenty of info.

11. Only newbies need to o a search.
    Groucho if it spins at all it is not shorted out. Which means outside most it needs brushes to be functional, maybe bushing to be jam up. You can get brushes with a visual.

basically the test you are doing take the place of using a growler to see if it needs an armature or a meter to see if it needs fields. Everyone owns a meter but a growler is a pretty pricey piece of equipment.