Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs disc brake conversion

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Jahlg, May 11, 2015.

1. Jahlg

Jahlg
    from Michigan

64 chevy impala drum to disc front end, kit came with two rods for the pedal to booster linkage. can only fit one, but brake pedal goes all the way to the floor. Do i havce to use both links? and whats the best way to bleed them? i think there may be air in the system still

2. I would ask the company that made the kit. I never have any issues helping guys if they have questions with mine.

3. Jahlg

Jahlg
    from Michigan

bought off ebay, over a year ago

4. That's the problem with buying off evilBay, the potential for zero customer support is high.

5. Look up "bench bleeding".

Start there.

6. Jahlg

Jahlg
    from Michigan

I did bench bleed the master cylinder. Is it possible I didn't get all the air out? Depressed plunger til it was a fountain coming up of fluid

7. That's just half the battle. You need to also bleed all four corners, starting from the farthest point (RR)
    I'm sure there is plenty of air in the system.

8. Jahlg

Jahlg
    from Michigan

I think that their is as well. Going to pick up a bleeder from harborfreight.

9. Jahlg

Jahlg
    from Michigan

Tried the mity vac bleeding pump, still have to much pedal travel, going to pick up air powered bleeder Saturday. Still wondering if the push rod should have both pieces.

10. Dick Stevens

Dick Stevens

Are the 2 rods different lengths? All I can think of is that it came with different options and maybe should use the longer rod.

11. studebaker46

studebaker46

you didn't say but is this power or manual brakes that is probably reason for two different rods im a thinkin you might have the wrong rod. open bleeders on caliper go have a beverage of your choice and calipers should be bled, Tom

12. If this is the typical universal master cyl, there is an insert for the pushrod bore that makes the depth compatible with the booster. Easily overlooked if you are not aware of it and most of the time not mentioned in the directions.

13. Jahlg

Jahlg
    from Michigan

I didn't have any other parts left, but I checked out kits on ebay and they show only one, thinking I just got an extra. Going to try to rebleed and see what happens