Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Jeep 4.0 (or 258) engine dimensions

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by mustangsix, Apr 30, 2015.

1. mustangsix

mustangsix

I have another oddball project in the "thinking" stages. Early 50's british sedan, but I want to use a straight six. I was looking at Ford and GM sixes and have some dimensions on those, but one other option I was considering was a 4.0 Jeep.

Problem is, there is limited space, so a couple of dimensions are important. Does any one of you have an engine that you could measure length from the bellhousing face to the front of the damper? Also, from the oil pan rail to the top of the valve cover?

Thanks much!

2. It is a bit hard to get an exact measurement with the 4.0 L still in an O.T. Wrangler but I came up with 32" from the bellhousing face to the front of the damper and 18" tall from pan rail to the top of the valve cover. I hope this helps.

Last edited: Apr 30, 2015
  3. Nash-Time

Nash-Time

32" and 18" are what I get also. I have the 4.0l in my 37 Nash with the 258 crank and rods in it. If you need any other dims just ask as mine is still being built and easy to get to.

4. mustangsix

mustangsix

Thanks much. It took me a a while to get back to this, but I think this may work.

5. Let us know how it works out.

6. mustangsix

mustangsix

The car in consideration is a 1948 Jaguar MK V saloon. The original engine and trans are long gone. So is a lot of the interior and some of the brightwork. Too much missing to restore it cost effectively so it's a good candidate to be a parts car or a hot rod.
    This model originally had an OHV inline six that was pretty much the same as the prewar cars used from 1936. Nearly impossible to find and if you do, very, very expensive.
    I thought about using an XJ6 drivetrain also and that may be the way to go. The Jeep looks a lot like the original unit though, especially if I were to build a manifold for a couple of SU carbs.
    Still some thinking to do.........this car has many, many needs....

7. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

From experience, I can tell you the Jeep 4.0L are excellent engines. '91 and later are HO (190 hp or so).
    They are smooth, powerful and very durable. '99 and later use cast iron exhaust manifolds that are 'split' outlets and flow well. The accessory drive on the front of the engine is very short, using a serpentine belt, minimizing clearance issues. The Wrangler and Cherokee models each use a bit different setup and one may be more advantageous than the other for your purposes.

As you probably know, the common automatic found on these is the Aisin/Warner AW4 overdrive. However, with a little mix and match, you can use 3 spd or 4 speed (O/D) Torqueflite automatics as well.

Ray

grifcarnut likes this.