Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects The 39 Project

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by TheDirtyG, May 1, 2015.

1. TheDirtyG

TheDirtyG
    from Colorado

This is a life long dream project....I'll start with a short history. This is my 1939 Chevy Business Coupe. It was purchased by my dad in the early 70's from the original owner. He bought it in 1939 from Burt Chevrolet in Englewood Colorado. My dad used it as a daily driver and it was always outside his Texaco station in Idaho Springs Co. It was parked outside our house on the street one night and a drunk clipped it. So my dad sent it up to NE to have it fixed. I think the guy owed him a favor or something not sure why it went to NE. Before the car was done, and back in Colorado my dad died. I was 5 and my brother an infant. In 1979 the guy in NE wanted it out of his way, and called my mom, and she arranged for it to be picked up. And then it sat in her garage...until now.

39outthegarageSmall.jpg

Dusty...but straight. I have it now back in Englewood, where I have resources in the way of friends. All who have a particular skill and ready to help bring this project to completion. First thing we did last Saturday was give her a shower. Nick builds Bonneville cars across the street from our shop, and is an electrical savant. And he has a Hotsy the 39Project got a 2 hour hot shower. We put Tyler on that duty for the messy stuff. Showertimesmall.jpg

2. alchemy

alchemy

I usta have a '39 tudor and it was a great car. Roomy and comfy inside. Drove down the road great.

Looking forward to your progress.

volvobrynk likes this.
  3. Well nice to have friends who are willing to do the nasty stuff. Nice looking car from here.

What are the plans? get it running and drive it or???????

volvobrynk likes this.
  4. TheDirtyG

TheDirtyG
    from Colorado

Yep Plan is to get it running...and STOPPING! then drive it. I want to do a period hot rod job. So if was available in the 40's it can go on. And yea, it's nice to have friends as resources.

volvobrynk likes this.

5. Jason Taylor

Jason Taylor

I hope you get her done and are able to honor you Father ! He will love it ! He will be so proud of you for bringing it back so it can carry on !

AHotRod likes this.
  6. Very solid looking car. Hope you get it going soon. good luck. Tim

7. Hood,runningboards and fenders come with it or will you be on the hunt.

8. 33sporttruck

33sporttruck

Dirty G, 50 years ago at age 18, I had a 2-door sedan. My 39 Chevy wound up with a 283 and Power Slide.
    Those are Cool Little Cars especially with the history on Your Car. You will enjoy it no matter how You build it.
    Good to see that it stayed in Your Family............................. Jeff

9. TheDirtyG

TheDirtyG
    from Colorado

Everything it there but the rubber for the running boards. I took it all off to make it a little easier to work on.

10. TheDirtyG

TheDirtyG
    from Colorado

Yea, lucky to have it and it's really cool working on it. Trouble is...it's parked where I work. Hard to stay focused at work these days!

11. ss34coupe

ss34coupe

Looks like a nice project. 39 Chevy coupes are cool!

12. 39ChevyBob

39ChevyBob

I like it! Congrats and make Dad proud. Lot's of parts available for what you need as well - I & I Reproductions and Chevys of the 40's will be your friend.

13. gpohl6

gpohl6

Good advice from 39ChevyBob. You got a lot more to work with than I did, but I was going in a different direction anyway. Enjoy the journey! (And Greeting from the right coast...Maine.)

14. 39 chevy kustom

39 chevy kustom

Cool, kinda partial to 39 chevys myself.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!