Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 1951 Chevy 3100 Orange County

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by WolfxBarber, May 4, 2015.

1. WolfxBarber

WolfxBarber

Bought my truck about a year and a half a go and it has been really hard for me to save up my money to get things done to it. I would try to do some things myself but I don't have the time to do it or skills (yet). I was wondering if anyone knew of reputable shop or shops in Orange County that might be able to help me get my truck running. I had a bad experience with a shop and to pretty much sum it up I felt like they took advantage of my lack of knowledge about my truck and raped my wallet without getting things done. All they told me after the ordeal was that I would need a new engine and that was the end of that after weeks of keeping it at their shop. I don't have a lot of money but this is what i would like to do to the truck without ending up broke.

-Would like to swap out the engine for something bigger(I figure if I need a new engine might as well go bigger)
    -Would like to keep the classic look with newer parts in the hood (assuming it means more reliability)
    - I am more worried about getting it running as it does not at the moment and will worry about the looks later.
    - If anyone would be willing to give me a ballpark quote about how much I might need for that type of work

The truck will be a birthday gift for my dad after all is done and would like to make it reliable and safe.

Should I be going to more car shows and trying to find owners trucks like mine to get input and maybe more help???

Thanks for the replies and sorry if I posted in the wrong place.

2. 61dailyf100

61dailyf100

Sounds like what you need is a engine guy and I personally have never taken my truck to any shops this guy has helped me on a carb before. He was really cool and I have heard a lot of good feedback from other buddies of mine. ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1430786014.916921.jpg
    Also, going to car shows definitely will help get more feedback. There is always a free car show every friday at old main street in garden grove that you can go check out.

3. jetnow1

jetnow1
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from CT
    1. A-D Truckers

If you want to swap engines there are many sources for engine mounts, trans mounts etc. Get catalogs
    from all the major suppliers, a parts car of often the cheapest way to get everything and it does not take
    a mechanic to pull an engine/trans. As 61dailyf100 said, go to shows, talk to people, make some friends
    perhaps offer to help someone who is working in a project as a way to learn and get them to help you.
    Above all try to break it down to little projects, as you do each one you will keep the motivation up.
    Trying to do everything at once is overwhelming.

You might want to look at swapping in a 235 from the later 50's/early 60's that will basically bolt in
    and give you a few more cubes and a fully pressurized oil system. This can be done with minimal
    downtime.

4. toml24

toml24

You should consider going to the Donut Derelicts car show in Huntington Beach every Saturday morning from 5:30am-8:30am. About 250 vintage cars and trucks. This is the best FREE car show in the West coast. There are MANY people to ask for advice. They are all good folks. If you need advice/work on transmissions I can give you contact information for a good shop and a great person in Ontario.

5. WolfxBarber

WolfxBarber

Thanks a bunch for the insight and the shows...I think i'll try those out then move on to an actual shop if nothing comes of it...