Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 1961 mercury comet

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Danny619boy, Jan 10, 2015.

1. Danny619boy

Danny619boy

So I got my first classic project car, A 1961 comet. I just got it and owned it for and hour, then boom a drunk guy in a F150 hits me head on. So my front passenger side is smashed in. So I need to replace the entire front sub-frame ( front clip ) and looking to change it from a straight six to a V8.

2. 37Zephyr

37Zephyr

Hey Danny, sorry to hear about your new project having a run-in so quick. Did the insurance company at least cut you a nice check?

By chance are you anywhere near SE Michigan? I know where there is a 61 Comet you could probably get the front sub frame and some decent fenders. The floor is show and the hood is missing, rear deck lid too far gone as well. Most trim and other salvageable pieces removed already, but if I recall the front clips was good. PM me for details.

I also have a 61 comet and keep a few small spares, nothing big except I also have 2 doors from that very car (the 2-door sedan version).

Jim

3. I wonder of falcon stuff will fit? Just thinking out loud here.

If I were going to loose the 6, I may consider sub framing it and using a different style of independent suspension to make more room for the V8. The build the sheet metal around the new front end.