Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Alternator, Voltage Regulator or What

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by zbuickman, Apr 23, 2015.

1. zbuickman

zbuickman

I have this issue and have no idea where to go next. Here are the details.
    Car 65 Pontiac. With a chattering Voltage Regulator.
    Alternator
    Vintage alt took a crap
    Replaced it with one off another car
    known working. (Chatter)
    Replaced that with a new replacement alt (chatter)
    Voltage regulator
    With alternator replaced the first time
    The Voltage regulator would chatter
    Unplug the alt with the car running and plug it back in all works fine(until you shut it off) then you have to repeat the process
    Replaced it with the one from the car with the known working alt/ and Voltage regulator. Still chatters. Unplug/replug procedure and drive.
    Replaced that with a new voltage regulator.
    Still chatters. However found out if you stall the car out with the clutch. To the point where it about dies it works the same as the unplug/replug method.

Did any of that make sense and any ideas?

2. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

so, how have you determined that noise is really coming from alternator? tried running engine without alt belt on?

3. zbuickman

zbuickman

The chatter is coming from the Voltage Regulator on the firewall. It's got me stumped???

4. Quick check, try running a jumper ground wire between the alternator and regulator, if that stops the chattering, you just need to find the location of the bad/ weak ground.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

5. zbuickman

zbuickman

Tried the extra ground no go. .......here's a vid of the chatter and let out on the clutch kill it down and it stops ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1429965951.542997.jpg

6. zbuickman

zbuickman

Sorry here is the video. The chatter is the sound that sound like an empty power steering pump. It doesn't seem like much but it's pretty loud inside the car.

Also I understand how this is supposed to work all except the resistance wire from the A term on the ign switch to the #4 term on the voltage regulator

7. unkledaddy

unkledaddy

Take the cover off and have a look at it while it's chattering.
    Maybe a close-up video would be helpful.

8. zbuickman

zbuickman

Update. Work has been crazy but this is where I'm at now.

The chatter is coming from the field relay. And when you kill the RPMs way down it pulls together and starts regulating.

I'm thinking that it may problem with the "sense" wire or a voltage drop problem in the main wiring harness creating the false full voltage field cutout at initial power-up.

Does anybody know exactly where in the regulator circuit the condenser plugs in its not on any of my schematics?

9. Scott

Scott

Might sound stupid, but check the idiot light, it excites the alt. since you have replaced everything in the circuit that may be the problem. Also, make sure the new alt is not internally regulated :)