Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Paint Rant!!!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by fastfrankie73, May 1, 2015.

1. Bugguts

Bugguts

I taught some adult ed classes in the evening a few years ago. Sheetmetal, painting, welding, tried to touch on a little of everything.
    The best quote from the class during painting was" I can't afford to learn this on my own". Well said and well worth the $$ for him to have taken the class. the class cost $300 at the time, which won't even buy the primer I use.

2. thirtytwo

thirtytwo

At the time a place called fleet farm in Minnesota was selling valspar alkyd enamel tractor paint I painted lots of chassis stuff with it thinned it with enamel reducer and used acrylic hardner it seemed to work good on a car body but lots of orange peel , difficult to get it to lay down , but the paint on this car was 100$ image.jpg better than primer in my opinion, and better protected

3. lowlinc

lowlinc

worst is spending 1500$ on Paint and having a Painter friend spray the car only to have it all Peel up and runs everywhere a month later. Lesson learned on that one. Cars going to the shredder with fresh paint.

4. my price on a gallon of shop line red base(no pearl) and a gallon of clear with hardener and reducers was around $350
    thats with the jobber discount and knowing the manager well
    if I'm going to complain about prices, tires are #1 on my list

fastfrankie73 likes this.
  5. fastfrankie73

fastfrankie73

Yes...tires are outta control too.

slim39 likes this.
  6. jimpopper

jimpopper

Doing The Daughter's Wrangler with Summit Paint. First test shoots on roll bar and windshield frame and some misc pieces tomorrow. We will see how it handles.

slim39 likes this.
  7. Flat Six Fix

Flat Six Fix

Painted my 55 Dodge /Fargo rear fender tonight, the paint was Canadas Rust Coat urethane enhanced enamel, much like tractor paint.
    It was very thick, cut it at 50 %, added generic wetlook hardener. I shot this with a conventional gravity cup gun at 45 psi and let her flow good, very big spray pattern so you gotta move.
    The paint came off well with a small run, the shop was cool too at 62f. i shot on a mist coat first, then a good medium wet coat, for good coverage, she laid out like glass, some dust, shop was messy.
    This fender was really beat up bad, and was warped, so crappy bodywork, should have replaced this, as it was way beyond my skill level.
    The pics.....

Attached Files:

8. Think I remember someone talking about mixing Rustoleum paints, 2:1 red to flat black. Came out with a pretty cool dark, semi-flat, paintjob that looked like a lot of the cars I see in old pictures... course, his was beat up pretty bad and not close to straight panels, but the color was neat.

9. JimSibley

JimSibley

If you want to learn how to spray. Go to a local
    Body shop and ask for some
    Left
    Overs. We have a lot. I use very high end paint and unusually have about 8-10 gallons on hand of mix and match base coat. All vey nice colors and I use them
    On my friends cars. Just a thought.

10. A Boner

A Boner

Valspar Tractor paint. $35.00 per gallon....harder is also available. Won't work if you are building a high buck show hot rod, but way good enough for the tons of lower end cars at most traditional type car shows I have attended. It's also waterproof,and will protect all that vintage tin out there. It's available in many colors, and a handful of the colors are traditional, including BLACK!

If with a lot of effort, including first class prep work, color sanding and polishing, you can't get a very respectable, and quite professional paint job, you are not ready to use the high end paint.

Just practice with it on some small parts first, to gain some experience and confidence.

I agree, professional automotive paint prices are a Joke, with Capitol J!

Flat Six Fix likes this.
  11. Flat Six Fix

Flat Six Fix

Amen Brother, I just gotta learn to do better bodywork, I can shoot paint no problem,it's prepping I have no patience for.....

12. 57JoeFoMoPar

57JoeFoMoPar

Who said this was a cheap hobby? Yeah, paint is expensive. But I put way too much work into the few cars I put together to cover the body in tractor paint. Same goes for the cost of chrome. Want to drive a big timer car, gotta spend like a big timer.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

da34guy likes this.
  13. woodbutcher

woodbutcher

:eek: Old saying."They get the mine.WE get the shaft".:rolleyes:
    Good luck.Have fun.Be safe.
    Leo

14. A Boner

A Boner

" BIG TIMER car....."small timer HOT ROD"...... everyone has a different focus.

15. jazz1

jazz1

If you are happy with the results it is $417 well spent. $350 around here will get a good single stage around here. Local Habitat for humanity has a 100 gallons of Imron single stage they are pedalling for $10 a gallon(no hardener) if you like TTC green.

16. we some times forget the service we get from the paint store
    I recently bought my wife a late model damaged car, painted the hood, fender, door and bumper + the left front apron
    the paint store used its latest and greatest technology to match the colors for both the outside and under hood colors

every thing came out perfect and was money well spent

17. Gman0046

Gman0046

Been pretty happy with a BC/CC black BASF product called Limco 3. $18 a quart.

18. Nothing is cheap any more. What makes the paint deal bad is that it is nearly impossible to find an old beater with passable paint any more. Once was a time that you could find an old car tat had a ding or two or a scratch or two but you could live with it. Not anymore anything we build needs a paint job.

Flat Six Fix and Frankie47 like this.