Register now to get rid of these ads!

F100 dropped axle

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by txlonghorn, Mar 29, 2013.

1. txlonghorn

txlonghorn
    from California

Curious as to what type of dropped axle you guys would use for a 53-56 F100. I'm looking at the tube dropped axle similar to the one sold by Mid-Fifty or an original stretch from Sid's dropped axle.

Attached Files:

2. aircoup

aircoup

if i was gonna use one , itd be the one from sids, , is mordrop still in business ?thats what we used to use before i started installing volaries ,, anyway enjoy it and have fun with that effie

3. txlonghorn

txlonghorn
    from California

Looking to keep it old school. From everything that I've read Mordrop closed.

4. tjet

tjet
    1. Early Hemi Tech

I got mine from Sid's

A+ in my book

5. conormulroney

conormulroney

I have an old Mordrop on my truck. I do believe they are out of business for many years, now.
    Go with Sid's. I'd rather have an original dropped Ford axle than an aftermarket tube version.

6. Original dropped w/ stock springs:

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 30, 2013
  7. txlonghorn

txlonghorn
    from California

How're you guys setting up the front suspension with the dropped axle? I'm thinking of using Sid's 3" dropped axle with stock springs since I'm wanting to use this as a daily driver. Could I go a little lower without sacrificing ride quality? What'd you do to prevent bump steer? In the rear I've installed a Ford 9" with a set of Posie 3" lowering springs.

8. tjet

tjet
    1. Early Hemi Tech

If you click on the link below, you will find some pics when I installed mine. I went with a 4". Cant tell you about how it steers yet, still building the motor. I netted around a 5" drop with one leaf removed from each side

9. Sprout

Sprout

10. Sid's does a fine job. I like tube axles well enough but you can't beat a dropped original axle. Sids is where I would be headed if I was getting one done.

11. wreckfixer

wreckfixer

SIDS dropped axle on mine and a leaf or two removed. ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1430509801.252463.jpg

Sprout likes this.
  12. HammerDown

HammerDown

Sid's for sure...

13. That is one fine truck sits about perfect.

14. seb fontana

seb fontana
    from ct

Sid's would be my choice....The after market tube axles from Mid-Fifty is ok if the quality is there; meaning the king pin bore must be tight and the lock bolt hole the right size and in the right location or you will have heartache...Speedway used to carry them [don't know if same manufacturer as Mid-Fifty] and I bought one in the garage sale and all the holes are junk, won't be able to use with out machine work especially to lock bolt holes...If your axle is good [hole wise] then I would call Sid's and see what the turn around time would be if you sent him yours to drop.....

15. willymakeit

willymakeit

Sid does a good job. Im running a 57 axle [1 to 1 1/2'' drop] with reversed eyes and down/forward springs in front. Extended y hangers ,flipped and relocated hangers plus reversed eyes in rear.