Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 40 Willys Project

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by ALLSTEELWILLYS, Jan 15, 2011.

1. Fulvia

Fulvia

Thats killer. Just clearcoat it. :)

2. ALLSTEELWILLYS

ALLSTEELWILLYS
    from TEXAS

Thanks Guys!

Sorry CGkidd took me awhile. but here are some pictures. Works great, let me know if you have any questions.

Attached Files:

3. CGkidd

CGkidd

Thanks for the pics. Gives me some ideas

4. CGkidd

CGkidd

How are you controlling the pressure for the hydro? Manual adjust or do u have it hooked to the throttle some how?

5. ALLSTEELWILLYS

ALLSTEELWILLYS
    from TEXAS

Sorry guys! Started a my own business, I've been busier than ever.
    CGKIDD= I have a manual cable

6. ALLSTEELWILLYS

ALLSTEELWILLYS
    from TEXAS

What do yall think about Metallic paint on a traditional style gasser like mine? Also engine color? ?

7. The reign of Gassers were the 1960's. Some of the coolest, wildest paint jobs came out in the 60's, metallics, pearls, candies and Metalflake are all acceptable. As far as engine,? I can't decide for my own either. Good luck and looking forward to see what you come up with

8. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Not sure about metalflake but if you want WILD; look up Mike Mitchells' 33 Willys.
    The epitome of 60's drag racing paint schemes.

9. ALLSTEELWILLYS

ALLSTEELWILLYS
    from TEXAS

1933_willys_77- that's what I wad thinking, but the guy I'm talking to about paint said they didn't use metallic paints back then. I'm have a hard time with the engine... body color, black, or Oldsmobile gold!?

10. greaser

greaser

I can remember metallic paints in the 60's. My dad painted the first metalflake hot rod in the area back in 1963. Metalflake was just starting to be used.

loudbang likes this.
  11. Maybe take the guy you're talking paint to some magazines from the 1960's and then again factory brochures from all the car companies. They all had metallic paint in the line ups. 1965 Corvette Nassau Blue was a very popular color, Milano Maroon, Frost Green, Silvers, Gold's and on and on. I remember years back some of the car guys I knew told me they painted their engines light or bright colors so it would be easy to spot leaks or problems. Like I said earlier I'm struggling with the same engine color issue. I'm using Chevy power but I'm not sure I want the old stand by Chevy Orange even though that's what I always used in the past.

12. Blownolds

Blownolds
    from So Cal

Hum... what about doing the body similar to the factory Olds gold engine paint? ('57 371 or so?)
    Dunno, but I think that could look pretty sweet in a traditional way, if the paint is metallic. Maybe do the engine a different color though? So many possibilities...

CGkidd likes this.
  13. elgringo71

elgringo71

I guess that it depends what year of the 60s you are building it to. There is a lot of difference between what they did in 1960 and 1969. That looks like an early 60s car to me due to the stance and the motor and transmission combo and the early style Hilborn. Maybe your painter is saying that big metal flake doesn't really go with the theme of the car. Here is a picture of The Cat Skinner taken in 1968.

image.jpg

Last edited: Oct 11, 2015
    mgtstumpy, 1blown57 and loudbang like this.
  14. ALLSTEELWILLYS

ALLSTEELWILLYS
    from TEXAS

Nice picture! Anybody know whet to get Chrome plated Spiral shocks, or twisty shocks?

15. 3day

3day
    from UK

I got some repro from Hugger performance products (via a restoration company on eBay) then had them chrome plated. Came out nice: http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/media/new4.518898/full

Really enjoying your build, I also have a Willys and plan to run an Olds in it

loudbang and CGkidd like this.
  16. ALLSTEELWILLYS

ALLSTEELWILLYS
    from TEXAS

3day-Thank You that's exactly what I'm looking for! Nice coupe. Did you take them apart to get chromed?

17. 3day

3day
    from UK

I handed them to the chrome shop and they didn't think they could do them, but when I came back to collect everything else, they were all done (without dissasembly) . They reckoned they managed to mask/seal where they needed to. I was a little dubious but all has been fine with them and plating is all good.

18. elgringo71

elgringo71

Any updates or pictures of the coupe in action?

19. ALLSTEELWILLYS

ALLSTEELWILLYS
    from TEXAS

I've done a little work on the cowl. I'll post some pictures! Been putting the car to the side lately, I really need to get back on it

loudbang likes this.
  20. elgringo71

elgringo71

Merry Christmas, have you had any luck getting any stories about the cars history?

21. ALLSTEELWILLYS

ALLSTEELWILLYS
    from TEXAS

Merry Christmas! No I haven't got any more info. Now I'm trying to decide if I should paint it, or leave it for awhile.

loudbang likes this.
  22. elgringo71

elgringo71

That is a tough decision with that car because it looks great as it is and will only look that way once. Plus it's the same paint job that your dad did. If it was mine I would run it that way for a while as long as it wasn't letting rust damage the body.

ALLSTEELWILLYS likes this.
  23. ALLSTEELWILLYS

ALLSTEELWILLYS
    from TEXAS

I know, but my dad always talked about seeing it painted! That's the hardest part

24. loudbang

loudbang

Coming from an old bodyman..... PAINT IT and redo the lettering. It deserves it. "Patina" is just a word for RUST. :p

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  25. abone1930

abone1930

PAINT IT :) It deserves it :)

loudbang and kidcampbell71 like this.
  26. NORSON

NORSON

About the metalflake. My avatar was painted in 1965. Black base with gold/clear over it.
    Norm

ALLSTEELWILLYS likes this.
  27. elgringo71

elgringo71

Has your dad driven the Willys yet? Also what color does he think it should be painted or what color did he plan to paint it in the 60s?

28. ALLSTEELWILLYS

ALLSTEELWILLYS
    from TEXAS

Thank you for the ideas. elgringo71-No, he hasn't. But I took him for a short ride back to the trailer from my first show. But it was running REALLY rich so it didn't last to long... He always wanted Candy Apple Red.

loudbang and kidcampbell71 like this.
  29. elgringo71

elgringo71

I believe that the Mazmanian car was painted Candy Persimmon. They put a base color of silver or gold down first, and then the Candy over the top and it gives the paint a lot of pop in the sun. The gold or silver affect the candy differently.

I bet that he had a big grin on his face after riding in it again.

loudbang likes this.
  30. ALLSTEELWILLYS

ALLSTEELWILLYS
    from TEXAS

OK, yes the candy I was first looking into uses a gold base. Then the candy. Then allot of clear for depth!
    Yes sir! He was excited. I'm going to let him drive the next time, hopefully it will be running better.

loudbang and elgringo71 like this.