Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods chassis guys what do you think?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Fortress, Mar 8, 2015.

1. Beeno,I worry about you.:rolleyes:HRP

volvobrynk likes this.
  2. seb fontana

seb fontana
    from ct

To the OP..Try as I might I usually get the short end of the stick when it comes to home repairs; and its not that I can't do them [done them in the past] but I don't want to do the labor now at my age, I want to put my aches and pains to other uses..So I hire an out fit..If done right great..If not then to get them back for adjustments or corrections is damn near impossible...So having said that I just installed a 6v to 12v conversion kit in my Crosley...I could have pieced it together locally but I was trying to support the Dealers new owner..Probably cost me %50 more and a lot of that was shipping and now I'm waiting for a part that MAY or MAY NOT make it work..SUCKS, I know but unless, as I put it, "you keep your thumb on their forehead" it won't get done right...Shouldn't have to baby sit I know and not much consolation now but you now know [lots of suggestions in previous posts] what you have to do to move on; and that includes any thing that you feel is appropriate...

Fortress likes this.
  3. 54stude

54stude

If the shop feels the work was a fair value for the money, they should have no problem with free advertising. Give them a chance to make it right, and if not post the shop name up on the hamb.

4. alchemy

alchemy

Yep.

Fortress likes this.
  5. Shamus

Shamus
    from NC

$70.00 an hour is $20.00 more than what some of the best builders in the country charge for labor. I
    too, wanted to use the original frame for my '34 roadster but after listening to quotes from a couple of so called "Hot Rod Shops", I sold the original frame & contacted Gary Mussman at Cornhusker (Krylon 32 on the H.A.M.B.) & told him what I wanted & in no time I had a complete NEW frame, less wheels, tires & the 9" chunk. His name kept coming up when I asked some of the grey beards for recommendations. Paid less than what I sold the original frame & suspension for (it had already been restored). Talked to a few more builders & decided on a young shop owner I met at Pigeon Forge. He & his guys put the car together in a timely manner & I have been enjoying it for the past 8 months. It's flathead/5 speed powered & drives & handles as good as any thing I have driven. I must admit, it cost a little more than I thought but it was worth every penny. Look at some cars U like then talk to the builders/fabricators. P.S. I also learned the hard way a long time ago - high shop rates don't mean quality!!

volvobrynk and Fortress like this.
  6. thirtytwo

thirtytwo

I third that motion

54fierro, volvobrynk and Fortress like this.
  7. X 4 now

8. paul55

paul55
    from michigan

Feel bad for ya! They didn't want to sell ya a new frame because then they couldn't justify all the labor hours they charged. I hate to see good people get taken advantage of!!

volvobrynk likes this.
  9. 3wLarry

3wLarry
    Member Emeritus
    from Owasso, Ok

cool beans

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  10. JOECOOL

JOECOOL

I see this kind of problem happening quite frequently. One guy I know is on his third shop and they are screwing him around also. I think there is not enough research done beforehand. How many people did you talk to that had them do work?,How many of their completed cars did you look at before comitting?, did you get the opportunity to look at cars that were being worked on in the shop?
    I do my own work ,that way when it doesn't turn out perfect I know who to blame.

11. enjenjo

enjenjo
    from swanton oh

I have been burnt too. I had one body shop I used regular for small jobs, he was always fair, so I didn't ask for an estimate. I took him four steel wheels, two new ones, and two used ones. They were sandblasted and ready to prime. I told him to paint them red. THREE MONTHS later the wheels were done, with a bill for $875 to paint them.. I paid the bill, I did not complain. I charged my customer $200 and ate the rest. But he has never had any more of my work, and if some one asks, I tell them why.

pitman, volvobrynk and Fortress like this.
  12. thirtytwo

thirtytwo

Yep same thing has happened to me always asked how much... Alway fair... The one time I didn't cause it was easy... Whamo 5 times what you expect

13. I read wut u say bean...

volvobrynk likes this.
  14. indyjps

indyjps

Fortress, I was a little harsh in my last post. You already paid the guy so the only recourse now is a lawyer, or torch the shop.

What's the plan to get the project back on track. Buy a welder and some parts? Find a different shop?

15. Pewsplace

Pewsplace

I live in the $100+/hr state and these kind of labor charges are quite common especially when dealing with and old chassis that is butchered. If you have deep pockets and want to save the old frame most of the shops I deal with will not do the work because of exactly what happened to you. Any shop worth using, does not want a bad rap spread around the tight knit hot rod world we live in. I had a chassis built in MN when I lived there and the shop did excellent work but was expensive. I knew that going in and they would call and ask me for approval to repair what they had run into — always giving me a quote that I signed. I was very pleased with the chassis and still have it in use today. In your case I would definitely have another conversation and discuss the workmanship rather than the price. They should make it right. If they don't — then you have to make a business decision to recover your investment in what is obviously poor workmanship. I would not put anymore money in that chassis.

Texas57 likes this.
  16. 1946caddy

1946caddy
    from washington

There's a large tire store thru out Ore-Wash that will take your steel car wheels and blast and powder coat the for $25 each.

17. lewk

lewk
    from Mt

That large tire store (L.S.) is in Montana and California too and seem to have a large loyal following. They've given me two of the worst alignments I've ever had, one crushed rocker panel because they tried to jack up my Impala like it was a unibody, chewed up paint on two new vintique wheels, and a torn headliner in my hatchback. I keep going back because they mount and balance cheap. Just don't let them touch your car and pick up your tires with a pickup, not a hatchback. I feel like a moth to the flame...

OP, sorry for the tangent.

18. dirty old man

dirty old man
    Member Emeritus

I like your thinking, thirtytwo! Getting even is a helluva lot more fun than just getting angry.
    I would first give him a chance to refund ALL your money, because he has ruined your frame. But if he balked at making things right, I'd do something along these lines myself.

volvobrynk and orangeamcs like this.
  19. orangeamcs

orangeamcs

I'd pull the good parts from it and call a reputable shop tell them your situation and have them build you a new chassis. Do a search on here alot of guys names pop up all the time. I understand supporting local but sometimes for good work you have to travel. Call blackboard or corn husker or clarke hotrods. All the chassis I've seen from them have been really nice and never heard any complaints. Take it as a 6k learning experience. But I do like the idea of dragging the chassis to every swap meet and local show with a sign on it of who built it and what it cost. Blow up the bill to 4x8 for a sheet of plywood and laminate it then make a huge sign out of it. I'd tell the guy you will stop when he pays another shop to build you a chassis that's right.

volvobrynk likes this.
  20. Backage

Backage
    from New York

That sucks. Never know who to trust anymore. Good luck

21. username

username

This is a tough situation, you got burned pretty good. You can either go the legal route (which costs more money) or start & continue to run them through the mud.
    I was in a situation years ago similar to yours, it was with a buddy (chassis/fab builder). The path I took was to grab my stuff and move on with my project, no legal or bad mouthing (well may a little). Deal with this situation then move on from it, otherwise it may leave bad taste in your mouth about your car. I ended up just selling my hot rod, unfinished. I 100% regret it.
    My buddy isn't evil, a lot of these types of fab/builders just don't know how to run a business. They use funds from one to use on another and another, ultimately they work countless hours and don't make any real money. They also dig into another phase of a project around rent is due time of the month to bill you a more $$ just to pay their rent & keep the lights on.
    I suggest you take all the usable parts off & start with another chassis. Keep moving forward.
    Good luck.

22. foolthrottle

foolthrottle

I once took a radiator to a shop for repair, my radiator was destroyed, for top dollar, I then went to their competitor and they gave me a new one in exchange for the destroyed one, which they then displayed in their front office with a sign on it, "this is why you don't go to them"

thirtytwo and 54fierro like this.
  23. This was what I was really looking for in this thread....a good recommendation for a chassis builder....thanks