Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Hot rodded 49 to 51 mercs ?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 0NE BAD 51 MERC, Apr 13, 2015.

1. 0NE BAD 51 MERC

0NE BAD 51 MERC

Looking for inspiration . When ever I do get back to working on my merc I am thinking of going a more hot rodded look. I have already chopped it and frenched the headlights and taillights . But instead of slamming it on the ground and putting skirts on it , I am thinking big and little tire rake , a healthy 428 ford and BorgWarner t10 and 9" rear. Are there any similar projects out there or do you have pictures from shows where you saw something similar?? I can not post pictures with this lap top and have not taken the time to get my big computer fixed! I am just want to do something different! Larry

2. I would really have to dig but I recall snapping some shots of a hot rod merc back in the '90s. it just isn't common. I am thinking that maybe your best bet would be street brawler with a slight California rake and still have a custom look to it instead of trying to go full on hot rod.

There is nothing in the world wrong with a fast custom.

3. atomickustom

atomickustom

They are out there. There is s guy at the Stray Kat 500 in Dewey, Oklahoma every year with a chopped & smoothed Merc that almost scrapes the front bumper and is running a 501 or so big block Chevy.
    I've seen others as well.
    If it sits on a rake, has mag wheels, and no skirts its a rod on my book. Bathtub Mercs are one of the few cars that look good either way.

4. slick a&t

slick a&t

How about this one. Has a hot rod feel with some custom mods. 152119_Side_Profile_Web.jpg 152119_Front_3-4_Web.jpg 152119_Rear_3-4_Web.jpg

5. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

Sly Stallone's '49 Merc in "Cobra" had that 'hot rod' look. The chop was excessive in front, looked like some rookie did it...("Race Chop!")
    Funny thing was, Revell models came out with their custom Merc kit, and it had the same chop profile! (also had the '50 Lincoln taillights.....)

6. atomickustom

atomickustom

I believe there was a thread on this same topic years ago. Try searching Merc and rod?

7. I like the Street Sleeper/Street Fighter. I believe Customs can have Muscle. Here is what's under the hood of my 50 Merc and there is room for a 671 without cutting a hole in the hood. Don't open the hood and who's going to know?
    The Wizzard 392 test fit 002.JPG

Aussiepete. likes this.
  8. williebill

williebill

I remember a teal/turquoise chopped merc from a few years ago that was tubbed, and ran huge tires out back, sounded wicked, and sat pretty low. Saw it at a couple of shows in the southeast. Hard to ignore when it rode past. Somebody will have pics of it, surely

9. Yea you can always say that it stumbles below about 900 RPM because it needs a tune up.

I was reading up on "custom" history a couple of years back and would really like to build a later sled with a wink and a nod to the early customs. Originally the idea was to emulate the high end cars on a poor man's budget. They would rob grills and lights and etc from a wrecked high end car and mate them to a cheaper ford or mercury ( or Chevy?). To carry on with the idea the engine had to be souped up as well. They were not a stripped down hot rod but they were not low and slow either.

volvobrynk likes this.
  10. williebill

williebill

About that same time, there was a black one, too, and I think it had a chute on the back... looked serious

11. The Claw

The Claw

Not HAMB material but here's mine from the 90's. Tubbed, 454, auto, 2014-04-12 001 001.JPG 9". Fun car that I drove everywhere!

12. lowrd

lowrd

Check into the site for the late Custom Rodder magazine and look at the features section. There is a 51 Merc done in the style you describe. The article was from 2002. Someone may have a copy of the magazine. It has the American Salt Flats style of rims, an exposed racing gas filler cap and exhaust cut outs in the rear quarter panels.

13. 0NE BAD 51 MERC

0NE BAD 51 MERC

Thanks for the imput so far guys. The claws example although to 80,s is kind of what I am looking for .I am a child of the 60,s and love cars that have a bad ass drag racing attitude! Mag wheels ,big and little tires, and nasty sounding motors. But being a custom body and paint guy I love having them look smooth and slick. I googled 51 merc gasser and only found a couple but the where pretty bad ass. Larry

14. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

My old one that I had for 32 years isn't Hamb friendly anymore since the guy who got it from me in a moment of desperation (mine) Now sits on a stretched 75 Monte Carlo frame and runs a 455 Olds and turbo 400. From what I hear it will keep up with the big dogs out on the long road. With the painted bumpers and mag wheels with white letter tires it has a look I don't much care for but they really did the car up right except for that.
    There isn't any reason a 49/51 Merc can't be a traditional custom and pack big horsepower under the hood though.

15. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

When I think merc hot rod I think mild custom with fat tires hidden behind skirts and an even bigger engine under the hood. More sleeper than hot rod though

16. slick a&t

slick a&t

Here's the one from Street Rodder. imagesG8XR7KQ4.jpg

17. 1pickup

1pickup

Don't do it, Larry.

18. 0NE BAD 51 MERC

0NE BAD 51 MERC

That is the attitude I am after and the stance but with a 60,s vibe , dark paint ,white interior and most likely vintage torque trust wheels. It would still have all the classic merc styling just no skirts and backend up instead of down. But when you look inside there is a tach on the colume and a 4spd on the floor and a 60,s dressed 428 under the hood. much like I would have built in high school back in 71. Not pro street or gasser just bad ass and a little different than the norm! Thanks again for the imput Larry

19. You and I think a lot alike.
    The Wizzard

20. dos zetas

dos zetas

Some years ago HRM had a little story on a 51 Merc built by a Nascar shop in the SE. It was a stock-looking black four door, but with good race suspension and big HP motor. Really attractive car, I looked at that story a lot...find it by searching "Larry West 51 Merc".

Last edited: Apr 16, 2015