Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Best way to hang doors by yourself?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by thechondro, Apr 12, 2015.

1. I rarely get help from friends to work on my car. Which makes it tough when I have to do things like hang doors. What's the best way to do this? So far I've come up with the door hanger from Eastwood. Also. I'm guessing the hinge should not have any play rattling it up and down right? I'm guessing that's a given. And I have that on my left door. I searched for this stuff and didn't find anything on this stuff on here. Might be doing this stuff wrong.

2. Kiwi 4d

Kiwi 4d
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Can you hang the doors from the rafters in the shed with a ratchet tie down. The hillbilly method worked for me on big coupe doors.

SanDiegoHighwayman likes this.
  3. You need a gravity defying device.
    An engine hoist
    Wood blocks
    A floor jack with special attachment

thechondro likes this.
  4. I use a floor jack. I suppose that a cherry picker would work on anything but a hard top door. Perhaps a combination of the two?

Anyway I usually use a floor jack.

5. I have a manual scissor type motor cycle jack just put some carpet on the jack if it's a painted door. Then again i've been doing this for over forty years.

wingnutz and thechondro like this.
  6. I have a old office chair and has the ram to adjust the height and use it to hold the door in place and use the floor jack and a wrapped block of wood under the rear edge of the door for moving it up or down for alignment. HRP

7. Tedly
    Scooter jack what good idea. I got one that I use all the time for bikes, the other day the missus mentioned that it may make a good transmission jack ( her shoulders are not what they used to be) but I never thought about doing doors with it.

8. I'm moving it into a warehouse. I don't know if there's low ceilings.

9. How do you keep it level on the jack?

10. Strong hands and good shoulders. All the jack does is hold it at the desired height while you horse it into place. With a little practice it is really a lot easier than it sounds.

SanDiegoHighwayman likes this.
  11. my dumbass would probably drop it.

12. No you won't just don't let it intimidate you. Even on a bad day you can outsmart a car door. LOL

Play with it a little before you try to hang it, then once you figure out the balance go for it. You'll do fine.

thechondro likes this.
  13. cad-lasalle

cad-lasalle
    from grafton nh

Hot Rod Primer and I use the same device- a padded office chair that adjusts for height. 44+ years of body work and this is the best way I've come up with.

thechondro likes this.
  14. jaw22w

jaw22w
    from Indiana

Just a week ago I used mine as a trans jack while changing the automatic in my old coupe. Works great.:)

15. ems customer service

ems customer service

if the garage fridge is load with beer, then your garage will loaded with friends

16. jailbar joe

jailbar joe

heres what I did with a wheel rim a bit of tube and some fabbed angle....
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    the angle bits are adjustable and deep enough to have either at top of window or in the lower door chanel...holds door vertical or horizontal and is very stable and not does not need to be centred for balance....works for me
    cheers joe

thechondro likes this.
  17. Milk crate and some wood blocks to get it to height. Hold it steady with your outside hand and start a bolt or two with the other.

18. I use something similar to this.

Attached Files:

• fork.jpg
      fork.jpg
      File size:
      108.4 KB
      Views:
  19. The37Kid

The37Kid

That is one photo we don't need to see. Bob

thechondro likes this.
  20. It's called the "5 percent rule " ... just got to be 5 percent smarter than the object you're working on!

thechondro and volvobrynk like this.
  21. s55mercury66

s55mercury66
    from SW Wyoming

I've been using a floor jack also, for close to 40 years. I take a 2x6 and saw a notch in it lengthwise, and nail a couple pieces of scrap on it to keep it on the floor jack. An old Hein-Werner full size 1 1/2 ton floor jack.

22. LOL I am just not smart enough to know that I can't.

23. This X2.... never fails as well. Well, some people don't drink so I have soda, ice tea, etc around. I also spring for lunch.

24. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I keep looking at those old shop bumper jacks that lift a rig by the bumper and are now obsolete for the most part would work good for holding doors in place after a person added some brackets to hold the door. [​IMG]

Hnstray likes this.
  25. Yep good idea, and if you had a bottle jack and some steel it wouldn't be hard to make one if you couldn't find an old one. ;)

26. Stu D Baker

Stu D Baker
    from Illinois

I've used this type. Work great, fit on standard floor jack saddle. Could even be fabbed up DYI.

[​IMG]